How do you protect your tomatoes in a storm?

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is what I threw together ahead of today's "severe thunderstorm"..... 

I will redo the cover when not pressed for time, like I was this morning. Used old shrink wrap that is readily available at boatyards.

2x3 lumber. I will raise the ridge supports as the plants grow above the tomato cages.

IMG_9263.JPG

Edited by nightfighter

I haven’t done anything except put them in cages.  I got the ones I have at Depot or Lowe’s years ago and haven’t seen them since, they’re square and something close to if not 1/4” wire.  You need something stronger than the regular wire cages.

"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
Plutarch

Even though they are in a cage I tie them off every couple feet. You can trellis several on one cage.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

It was blowing pretty good today, mine in pots seemed fine. I've had my barrel of climbing zucchini with a 6 ft trellis blow over! They cover the trellis. I've been doing this a long time, that kid is now 25! Also, FWIW, I've recently ditched the cages and ordered a bunch of 4' fiberglass poles for $1.50 each and use 3 or 4 per pot. I let them grow only like 3 arms, and constantly snip the suckers. The poles make it easier to see what's going on. 

5c8844234b10f_Adamzukebarrel.PNG.d423b145bc025d8bdeab7eb28fd90f84.PNG

Edited by gellfex

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 8:02 AM, ResearchinStuff said:

Indeterminate tomatoes can't be caged, they need a trellis and twine. This year I'm running an experiment to see if expanded polypropylene netting can be substituted. 

looks good. if you have a structure like you do, cotton yarn (cheap, soft. find in stores for a dollar most of the time) laced through the plants and secured on the top 1x6 would work too.