Need some new waders... Recommendations?

Rate this topic

PeteA

A weekended warrior here for both surf and freshwater. I've had a pair of Frogg Togg Hell Bender II breathable stocking foot waders. Love the fit, style, size. But they wore out in 2 seasons of in the surf. I'm not hard on the either.  I hose them off after every outing. Store them in a breathable wader bag loosely rolled. They started leaking in the crotch a couple outs ago and have progressively worse. Frogg Togg customer service is nonexistent. No response to emails. 

So I'm in the market for another pair in a $150.- $250 price print. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with Paramount Big Eddy or Simm's Tributary waders? 

Thx boys,

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I liked Frogg Toggs too but I went thru a pair about every 1 1/2 years. I had several pair. I finally bite the bullet and bought a pair of Patagonia waders. Excellent product and an excellent company. They are expensive but well worth it. 

That's almost exactly what happened to me. Just short of 2 years. 

more than you may wish to spend but look at Hi n Dry out of Virginia Eastern shore.  Had mine about a month and the best I ever had.  Went through Beans, cadis and no comparison.  Made by aquaculture guys for their own workforce.

My 3rd year with Bean boot foot, no leaks so far, made of light thin material but are not tough.  When these go, I will get Hi N Dry are made by guys in the aquaculture business who decided to make their own tough waders that will last - were frustrated by buying waders that only last a few months of daily working.  

I had an older version of the tributary waders and I got a hard year out of them before they started leaking, sent it in for service and they replaced with the new model tributary. I've only used them since the beginning of the season but I like them, they are more breathable than old model imo. Simms warranty isn't bad at all and that should definitely be a factor for whatever you go with!

Simms.  I previously had a pair of Patagonia waders from Sierra Trading Post that lasted 8 years, loved them. Rode them into the ground and couldn’t patch the leaks fast enough towards the end.

I decided to go with Simms for my next set and am glad I did. I got the G3s, but I know they offer others in your price range. Highly recommend them. 

@PeteA you need to learn how to mend your waders. I suggest getting Seam Grip which is a thinner version of aquaseal. That and some painter's tape to mask off your work--this will keep your waders going. A leak in the crotch is not a big deal at all if you know how to fix it and it's not hard. Just have to be able to locate the leak and then cleanly put some seam grip on it. 

Aside from patching, there's also a issue on fitting. Seems like everyone's waders leak somewhere and has to do with body shapes and wader sizing. You might have undersized waders I dont' know. 

The Seams on the LL Bean TEK waders are pretty darn good. I don't know on stocking foot part of them as I use the bootfoots. Boots are another story. They aren't so great for my feet. I wear through the left one. But the seams don't wear out or open up. For my body type. 

Ll bean emergers might be your best shot . To prolong the life of them I found a little TLC goes a long way.  Don't keep them in a hot truck after a night of fishing. Let them air dry on a hanger . A good rinse also doesn't hurt.  I do use a pair of Patagonia stocking foot also and definitely am very happy with them . I wish they made a boot foot wader 

23 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I liked Frogg Toggs too but I went thru a pair about every 1 1/2 years. I had several pair. I finally bite the bullet and bought a pair of Patagonia waders. Excellent product and an excellent company. They are expensive but well worth it. 

21 hours ago, PeteA said:

That's almost exactly what happened to me. Just short of 2 years. 

Frogg Togg products and customer service has gone down the crapper over the past couple of years.  Seams popping open after 2-3 uses and because they're "old" after sitting through a winter properly stored in the basement, no longer within warranty, and customer service could care less.  Even the Great Pimpkin, JS, no longer recommends the product.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it's NOT from Frogg Togg!!!

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar