Do you think this eye is still fishable?

Rate this topic

Jack517

I noticed I have a little scratch/crack in one of my eyes in my surf rod, when I rub my line over it I can feel it but it’s not really catching or scratching the line. I tried putting a Q tip through it to see if any cotton caught on the scratch and it didn’t so I think I’m good but I still just wanted to ask.

IMG_1398.jpeg

Just now, mako capt said:

It’s either going to break your heart when you arrive at a honey hole or it’s going to break your line on the fish of a lifetime.

Lmao yea that’s what I’m worried about, I’m probably gonna get it replaced either way because little stuff like this just bothers me. I want my rod and reel to be 100%.

1 hour ago, Jack517 said:

I noticed I have a little scratch/crack in one of my eyes in my surf rod, when I rub my line over it I can feel it but it’s not really catching or scratching the line. I tried putting a Q tip through it to see if any cotton caught on the scratch and it didn’t so I think I’m good but I still just wanted to ask.

IMG_1398.jpeg

I'd say no, but I'm sure there's a way to jury-rig something with a bit of nail polish (I wouldn't). You're better off going to almost any tackle shop and having them tape on another eye.

Edited by RockRonin

If that's a spinning rod the line will be in contact with the crack the majority of the time. If it's a conventional you will stand a better chance due to it being on top. Put a drop of epoxy on it with a tooth pic. Clean with alcohol first. Best advice, replace it tonight.

7 hours ago, mako capt said:

Its either going to break your heart when you arrive at a honey hole or its going to break your line on the fish of a lifetime.

Well said

This is DIY-able. I am not particularly handy and have done it myself. Rod has successfully caught many fish over the 3 or 4 years since then. 

I would probably still fish it while waiting for parts if I had to, though.

Remove ASAP and replace or get it replaced. 

FYI - you should replace the line on whatever reel you were using. It’s probably compromised.

(You could go through & closely examine for wear & nicks but you may miss something. The more you fish it or had already fished it with that crack, greater chance of issues. The braid is probably more expensive than the guide replacement.)

Literally the best day of surf fishing me and my buddy ever had was the day he had a crack in his guide like that. It would break off once he had a fish as I reeled in bass after bass. I eventually felt bad and gave him my rod. .

Change it