Aluminum Boat - Bunk or Roller Trailer ?

Rate this topic

FishMeister

14 mins ago, FishMeister said:

Hi All,

Looking at picking up a new trailer for my 80's 17' aluminum center console.

What would your preference be for trailering, a bunk or roller trailer?  The whole boat/motor/fuel/gear is no more than 1100 lbs at any given time.

I've been looking at Loadrite trailers but am open to others as well.

I do full time hauling. Bunks are cheaper to run over the long haul for me. I can pick up a 16' aluminum boat in 6" water from a beach.  I had a roller trailer with my north coast when a wheel went down? It can turn into a problem. I carried extra wheels. Not cheap. 

Last year I bought bunk rollers. Got em cheap used for 50 bucks. Put it in place of the carpet bunks. Had to do a little modification. Easy off! For an old boat it was perfect. For my new boat? Not entirely sure if it will leave bumps. Maybe , maybe not. I will tell you this. I have to put some effort to get my boat off. Maybe try some bunk slicks.  I may start doing the speed up and reverse and fast stop to get nudge the boat loose with a rope lassoed onto the trailer winch area.

I've added bunk slides to my carpeted bunks to keep the saltwater off the hull. I didn't have a problem launching and retrieving before, but now it's like shooting the boat out of a circus cannon. Would recommend, and you keep the greater surface area in case you're worried about developing little dents where the rollers would sit.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Check out Ultimate Bunk Boards. I replaced my carpeted bunks with them. They are not as slippery as bunk slicks but you don’t need to replace them ever and no carpet. 

When Trump comes back…..All traitors will be purged. 

We’re gonna need a bigger boxcar

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)