How about some fishing reports

Rate this topic

John P

I'm in central CT. STILL no bunker in my area close to shore even after the new moon. Went out to a popular reef over the weekend and we marked a lot of bass. Every now and then they would pop up and push, what looked like, macks to the surface. Would get them on a doc if you hit them while they were popping. The fish on the bottom had lock jaw and no interest in any artificials dropped (GT eels, flutter spoons, paddle tails.) Only got a few as they were roaming and not concentrated on top. 

A few sea bass and robins deep. No porgies found.

Really need bunker in my area for the shore fishing to pick up. I had a good April, so-so May, and a terrible June so far. 

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.....

6 hours ago, John P said:

The whole CT site is about  everything BUT fishing. I will start reports when my boat gets launched this week.

Well said, thank you!

As for me, been out 3 times this year - No fish.  On MDW, covered a ton of water over the course of 2 days, my son jig/spooned up one slot bass.  he also caught two mackeral on small tins.  I went out this past Saturday morning locally with a friend.  Went to a local harbor, bunker were present but very spread out, challenging to say the least (the wind didn't help either).  DEFINITELY bass underneath (15' to 25') but they only want bunker.  

The very few bunker I have snagged are definitely smaller.  Several others have confirmed the same.  I have yet to find them out in open water but those who do/have, really seem to be crushing very respectable bass, even some good sized blues.  

Jigging/ Spooning in deep water for me has produced zilch. 

Have come across several schools of sandeels, very cool to see them again.   

Fingers crossed the second half of June is much better than the first half.

I am in the vicinity of Bridgeport for reference.  (seems further West the bait and the bite is much more consistent)

Not sure if this helps but its the results and observations I have experienced.  

I only fish for stripers and the fishing for me has been hot and cold. If you do find fish, they are healthy, fat and strong which make really fun to catch. Biggest for the season so far is about 35# and lost a couple of bigger ones in the rocks. Seen a bunch of bunker, but they haven’t been schooled up. 

On 6/11/2024 at 10:42 AM, FlukeOff said:

I'm in central CT. STILL no bunker in my area close to shore even after the new moon. Went out to a popular reef over the weekend and we marked a lot of bass. Every now and then they would pop up and push, what looked like, macks to the surface. Would get them on a doc if you hit them while they were popping. The fish on the bottom had lock jaw and no interest in any artificials dropped (GT eels, flutter spoons, paddle tails.) Only got a few as they were roaming and not concentrated on top. 

those are macks, and they're eating small sandeels, which is what the seemingly lockjaw bass on the bottom are eating as well.  you need to go small.

my biggest fish of the season was on a slender 1.5oz verticle jig when the mackerel were up on top.

IMG_20240524_135554.jpg.38af3a8426dcdec437d8702f88725e69.jpg

IMG_20240524_134957458_HDR.jpg.eff86fd3790844f8bd7807037f4ae6c4.jpg

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

1 hour ago, EBHarvey said:

those are macks, and they're eating small sandeels, which is what the seemingly lockjaw bass on the bottom are eating as well.  you need to go small.

my biggest fish of the season was on a slender 1.5oz verticle jig when the mackerel were up on top.

IMG_20240524_135554.jpg.38af3a8426dcdec437d8702f88725e69.jpg

IMG_20240524_134957458_HDR.jpg.eff86fd3790844f8bd7807037f4ae6c4.jpg

Nice fish! and thanks for the tip. We did the same trip 2 days ago and all those fish were glued to the bottom (no top action)....I dropped down to a 3/4oz bucktail and no takers. Next time out I'll try and go more slender to match sand eels. 

After working that reef we moved back closer to shore and found 30-40" bass blowing up bunker on another popular reef. We had an hour of a good bite on the Doc....didn't matter if they were popping or not....they were coming up from the bottom to hammer the spook. Also had a few 5# blues in the mix. 

Only downside - not seeing any schoolies out there. Every fish for the past few trips have been slot + 

Oh, haven't tried for fluke. Picked up a few short sea bass at slack in around 80 feet....that's about it

Edited by FlukeOff

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.....