What’s the best action and power for throwing metal lips, M or MH Moderate or Mod/fast?

Rate this topic

Jack517

10 hours ago, Jack517 said:

Just trying to get a good idea on what’s the best action and power for metal lips.

I like medium heavy , moderate fast as the least,semi pool stick at the big stick end.

Def need a rod that's powerful to sling 3-8oz swimmers.

I'm strictly of the conventional persuasion,no spinners for me,,,,,

H⚔️H

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

It all depends on the weight you're gonna be tossing. Me, I toss heavy stuff too, like HH posted above. For the heavy stuff I like a fast action rod. A rod that can toss 5ozs easily. For the 3 oz a mod. fast action will do.

I stay away from those parabolic type rods, too soft. But those are good for pencil poppers and light plugs. Btw, I use conventional reels, no spinners for me:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

7 hours ago, Jack517 said:

Just trying to get a good idea on what’s the best action and power for metal lips.

As mentioned above,  the weight rating of the rod will be determined by the weight of the metal lips you throw.  

As far as action of the rod there's a bit of a trade off. Faster action rods, which tend to get better distance,  have a tendency to tumble metal lips and other non aerodynamic plugs while more moderate blanks do not.

It will ultimately come down to what type of rod you're comfortable throwing. 

10 hours ago, Jack517 said:

If I had to suggest a rod for you,I'd say medium fast like a tica surf UHEA 9 foot,2-6oz.

Very versatile rod,low cost and nice to fish overall.

I liked mine so much I bought another to have as a spare.

H ⚔️ H

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I’m with af Mike on this one. I personally like throwing metal lips with a moderate rod. For most normal sized plugs I really like the century stealth, it covers most plugs under 5oz pretty well. I usually get less tumbling on casts with a moderate rod vs fast action and as a plus it makes a killer rod for eels. As far as power goes, match the power to the weight of the plugs you’re gonna throw. You don’t need a rod rated 3-8oz if you are only gonna thrown 2-3oz plugs. As far as rod action goes, like most things it’s gonna come down to personal preference and what you like. 

Edited by OnlyDinks
Spelling

I think it really comes down to personal preference, I have both moderate and fast and mod fast and they all have a place, I personally feel it also helps with matching the conditions- like bigger messier surf I may opt for a faster rod, but that’s just me. I fish a lot of the rivers, so that’s totally different than the surf.

casting is much different - loading a moderate rod to cast is much different than a fast rod. When you cast a moderate rod it feels more like a slow sling shot. So it would be easier and more accurate to be on the faster side with heavier plugs- and moderate with lighter. Some have said that with the moderate tip it will help the plug swim better since the tip moves back and forth too with the plug swimming …but I really don’t know how true that is. 

anyways- something I have learned the hard way and also by guidance from @Heavy Hooksetter that having a heavy power or  a MH rod is very helpful especially with the hook set. And also setting the hook is different with fast or mod- sometimes it’s good to give the fish that extra second to get the plug in its mouth before setting the hook. 

one of the most important things is matching the ‘lure rating’ to the plugs your throwing. I also throw bigger plugs in the 5 to 6 oz range some bigger some smaller, so most of my rods are 2-6 oz or my lighter rods are 1-5oz - all conventional as well. If you’re throwing metal lips from the store (that are not necessary custom) they may not weigh much and be hard to cast so make sure the lure rating is correct 

overall- it really comes down to what your specifically throwing and also conditions and preference