Passport to Parks

Rate this topic

The TideRunner

Here in CT we have the Passport to Parks. Which is free admission to all CT State parks for residents. But it's not actually free. There is a $5.00 charge added on to your CT motor vehicle registration. This charge has recently been increased to $8.00. For  people that use the state parks, this is fine. But how many people don't and will never use those facilities? So for CT residents, let's not call this a Passport to Parks, let's call it what it really is..Another tax. I say this because while our fees have increased, what I didn't see was an increase to the non resident admission fees. We've already paid taxes to the state. So the people that will never take advantage or this free admission to the parks are now subsidizing the non resident admission?

Go to Sherwood Island after a Sunday of picnicking.  The ground are a disaster. Mostly from non residents coming from other areas. This isn't hearsay, This is from my observations many many time. How about Squnatz Pond? It seems there are always fights breaking out there. And according to local police, when you see the names of the arrested in the papers, it's usually people from out of state. And we as residents, have to pay for this upkeep? For the police coverage? Lifeguards? etc?

To all residents  who fish and hunt here, my guess is that our license fees will be next to be increased. And again the no resident fees will be a bargain for the non residents.

If you feel we are overpaying for minimal benefits, by all means contact your legislators. They hate complaints in an election year.

Taxes only go one way here in yankee land. I got the 65+ pass the year after I turned 65, great I no longer have to pay to go into a state park! Maybe I'll visit them more. Hold on a minute, the very next year the guvmint changed it so I have to pay the extra tax every time I renew my registration. No exemption for plus 65. And our drivers licenses are now issued for 8 years. Move out of state after 2 years, can I get a refund? Ah, no! Just wait till they start with the photo motor vehicle violation tickets (don't worry it's only for work zones. Until it's not). And I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on placing license reader arrays on major highways like I-95 so you can be charged tolls. I'm surprised the state hasn't adopted an exit tax so they can charge you more for leaving and selling your home. If there's a way they could wring blood from a stone they'd be doing it. 

On 6/11/2024 at 5:20 AM, PSeggs said:

I think it's just a thing people do.  Complain. 

Imagine if you will, enough people complaining. Then things will move forward in a positive manner. For over 40 years I was on the board of directors for a sportsman's association, 23 of those as president. I spent many a day in Hartford "complaining" when others wouldn't. Had more complained, we'd have gotten Sunday hunting years ago. But hunters decided to let someone else write and complain, while the antis were well organized. The complained the loudest. We would have freed the clam beds off Westport years ago. Gun rights, I was there. The problem is, we don't complain enough to those we should be complaining to. And then we the sportsmen take it up the caboose.

How much has changed. The HIP permits, pheasant tags to hunt turkeys ( which is another permit). Trout stamps. Unless you're over 65 if you pay for all the needed permits to hunt and fish here in CT, it's $100 or more just to walk out the door. Go out of state and see what their fees for non residents are. You need a mortgage nowadays.

How about we complain that the fees for non residents using our facilities here in CT get raised?

50 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

Imagine if you will, enough people complaining. Then things will move forward in a positive manner. For over 40 years I was on the board of directors for a sportsman's association, 23 of those as president. I spent many a day in Hartford "complaining" when others wouldn't. Had more complained, we'd have gotten Sunday hunting years ago. But hunters decided to let someone else write and complain, while the antis were well organized. The complained the loudest. We would have freed the clam beds off Westport years ago. Gun rights, I was there. The problem is, we don't complain enough to those we should be complaining to. And then we the sportsmen take it up the caboose.

How much has changed. The HIP permits, pheasant tags to hunt turkeys ( which is another permit). Trout stamps. Unless you're over 65 if you pay for all the needed permits to hunt and fish here in CT, it's $100 or more just to walk out the door. Go out of state and see what their fees for non residents are. You need a mortgage nowadays.

How about we complain that the fees for non residents using our facilities here in CT get raised?

Are there many people that travel to CT to fish or hunt? It’s not like it’s Florida or Maine. The only reason I fish in CT is because I have family there. My MA saltwater license works there so it doesn’t cost anything either. 

31 mins ago, z-man said:

Are there many people that travel to CT to fish or hunt? It’s not like it’s Florida or Maine. The only reason I fish in CT is because I have family there. My MA saltwater license works there so it doesn’t cost anything either. 

Doubtful.   Only reason why I fish and hunt here is cause I live here.  When I roadtrip to fish its usually Mass. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

In the areas at our borders we get a lot of of out of state hunters. Mainly because of the state lands near our borders. Think Housatonic State Forest. And because of the generous limits. Some time back more than a few hunters were ticketed for hunting in Housatonic because the, as they said. Didn’t realize they were over the border. Yeah right. Fishing I’m not so sure about I do know the Housy gets fished a lot for the over wintering stripers. But not too many out of staters. I like you fish Ct on short fishing days. But I have a collection of licenses for other states. All New England.