Safely weighing bigger bass with a hanging scale within the "time limit".

Rate this topic

pelhambaycc

14 mins ago, John P said:

I know you are right,  People feel they have to prove you can land a big fish on 15lb test line. totally wrong headed.  I use a Musky conventional reel with 50lb  braid and get them in as fast as possible.  Even doing that it takes some time to revive and  release . Take your time reviving it's worth it.

Yes, Ive seen it, i've also done it.  I just upgraded a setup because I felt it was too light.  Also, if you are on an ocean bite and one of your friends has a light rod and reel setup and the fish are moving, and they hook up on a small setup, guess who is waiting to move to get the fish... You guess it, the WHOLE BOAT.

So the 4K size reels and 2oz rods on 40# class fish isn't the smartest move.  

7 mins ago, Goldy said:

Steve, there is no doubt I agree with you, I calibrate mine 30/60 with lifting weights so they are spot on.  The point i was saying was, you can get your boga IGFA certified if you send to them, but its my understanding that when you get salt water in it, it becomes null and void from weight perspective from IGFA.

Anyways, walking around with a boga 60 isn't that much fun.  I've done it. but rarely do it anymore.  It goes on the boat more.  And yes, i weigh fish if it looks close to 50.  

Yes, saltwater, dirt and failure to care for your scale may result in a false reading on fish you weigh. It's a good idea to clean it once in a wile and to get it certified routinely. And yes, toting around the 60 is a problem. I wish they could make a 50 or 60 pound Boga the size of a 30 pounder. That would be more comfortable carrying around rocks and sand.

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

I agree with you 100%.  Also now bogas although good once they get saltwater are no longer igfa certified.  

People have a misconception on what fish actually way.   

heres my thing for jersey

most people think a 20 is a 30 and a 30 is a 40 and a 40 is a 50.    

does that mean my 52# actually was 62# since it was jersey caught?

A lot of guys on here should take up birdwatching.  

It’s amazing how hypocritical people can be.  Trick an animal with a pea sized brain, jam some holes in its face, make it fight for its life for the sake of one’s own enjoyment and then only once it’s landed do they gain a conscience about how best to handle it.   If you have such strong feelings about keeping the animal safe just watch it from a distance.  Somehow your method of nearly lethally harassing a living organism are so much better than someone else’s.  

The internet is the only place I’ve ever encountered someone who says they don’t care how big a fish is.  100% of my in person interactions in fishing every single person has cared how big the “big fish” they just landed was.  Every one of them.  100%.  I’ve never, ever actually found someone who doesn’t care. Amazing how so many here think that’s out of the ordinary.  

Weigh the fish.  It will almost certainly be fine.  There’s beyond plenty of fish who have been on a boga, tagged, and had the tag returned.  Anyone who’s saying they 100% won’t make it obviously hasn’t been doing this that long.  I’m not saying boga every fish. Once you’ve been doing this long enough it’s easy to distinguish between a 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40 lb fish.  If you’re curious about what it weighs, weigh it. 

If you think it’s evil to weigh a fish, maybe take a step back and realize what we’re all doing here in the first place.

56 mins ago, bbfish said:

It’s amazing how hypocritical people can be.  Trick an animal with a pea sized brain, jam some holes in its face, make it fight for its life for the sake of one’s own enjoyment and then only once it’s landed do they gain a conscience about how best to handle it.   If you have such strong feelings about keeping the animal safe just watch it from a distance.  Somehow your method of nearly lethally harassing a living organism are so much better than someone else’s.  

I think you’re overlooking the fact that a lip piercing and a hard run doesn’t kill. Depriving a fish of oxygen for a picture does. 

Edited by Camhabib

15 mins ago, Camhabib said:

I think you’re overlooking the fact that a lip piercing and a hard run doesn’t kill. Depriving a fish for a picture does. 

That’s the exact attitude I’m talking about in my previous post. 

7 hours ago, bbfish said:

The internet is the only place I’ve ever encountered someone who says they don’t care how big a fish is.  100% of my in person interactions in fishing every single person has cared how big the “big fish” they just landed was.  Every one of them.  100%.  I’ve never, ever actually found someone who doesn’t care. Amazing how so many here think that’s out of the ordinary.  

Weigh the fish.  It will almost certainly be fine.  There’s beyond plenty of fish who have been on a boga, tagged, and had the tag returned.  Anyone who’s saying they 100% won’t make it obviously hasn’t been doing this that long.  I’m not saying boga every fish. Once you’ve been doing this long enough it’s easy to distinguish between a 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40 lb fish.  If you’re curious about what it weighs, weigh it. 

If you think it’s evil to weigh a fish, maybe take a step back and realize what we’re all doing here in the first place.

I care to an extent. But last few trips just release on side of boat.  Unless i thought it was a good fish and wanted a measurement. 

i do hang fish on a boga. But what i find myself doing is going maybe thats 20# let me check.   And thats the only one for a while.  

on the boat its usually length only unless im like i want to see a weight.  And then hang on boga.  

but i think we can both agree what our boy at the rocks does all May isnt necessary.   90%
of those should be released on the side of the boat

Weighing a big bass on a Boga is more like a “straw that broke the camels back” scenario than some sort of peace-love tree hugger philosophy. Why push the limits of a fishes biology with our recreational hobby farther if so much fisheries research has shown hanging a fish by its jaw out of water can be permanently damaging or life threatening to a fish you fully intend to release? 1 person weighing 10 fish isn’t the problem, it’s 100,000 people weighing +1 million fish that is the start of a real problem.

Releasing fish is similar to catching fish where practice makes perfect and we all want to get better at it. Creating good release habits and sharing those tips with each other is a great way to kill our bad habits earlier and hopefully kill less bass.

Edited by hairyfishhead