Jump to content

Safely weighing bigger bass with a hanging scale within the "time limit".

Rate this topic


pelhambaycc

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

I’ll weigh my first 30 of the year, first 40 of the year, then anything after that would need to be potential season best to go for a ride on the boga. After a while it becomes pretty easy to eyeball the weight so you can at least tell if the fish is 20 pound class, 30 pound class, 40+ etc. This way, only 3-5 fish get weighed per year. 

 

Many of us don’t have the option to measure a fish while standing on a rock a good distance from flat ground. A quick weight is just a lot more feasible and arguably better for the fish than swimming/dragging it back to shore to have it out of the water long enough for a measurement. Without data, it’s hard to say. 

Ability to eyeball comes from catching so many you can just tell already. That’s when you know you’re a pro and have a fishjng problem lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, pelhambaycc said:

I'll give hydraman the win on this one. 

 

Perfectly said....and I don't want to be any more of a "tool" than I already am....lol

I understand the sensitivity of this debate, as my question was asked with the best interest of the fish, not my own satisfaction...although it will always bug me how close this fish came to 40...50??.. if not for only my own fishing "tales".

Ill be ready next time to get quick length and girth and get any big girls back in the water safely. 

 

Thanks for the insight guys.

 

Curious, how big do you think that fish was in the video on the front page?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SC said:

I read 100% to the contrary but I have personally tested the "formula" against bass whose weight was known to the ounce. In my findings the "formula" resulted in a substantially "heavier" bass than it weighed on a certified scale every single time. Using a tailors tape exaggerates the size even more as it measures along the contour of the fish and not the actual length. No debate, just a statement of my personal actual findings.

Oh, so you are saying what the chart shows is BS.  And this comes from a legend like yourself, so I would tend to believe you more than the chart made up by whoever.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SC said:

I read 100% to the contrary but I have personally tested the "formula" against bass whose weight was known to the ounce. In my findings the "formula" resulted in a substantially "heavier" bass than it weighed on a certified scale every single time. Using a tailors tape exaggerates the size even more as it measures along the contour of the fish and not the actual length. No debate, just a statement of my personal actual findings.

 

I've found the formula to be very accurate IF you measure correctly and use fork length.  

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 mins ago, Goldy said:

Oh, so you are saying what the chart shows is BS.  And this comes from a legend like yourself, so I would tend to believe you more than the chart made up by whoever.  

 

if you're referring to the length/weight chart that gets posted and reposed in various forms all over the internet, the data it was originally based on also used fork length.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, prican1 said:

I agree with LD on this one. We all go fishing with one thing in mind, setting hooks as hard as we can in a fishes mouth and dragging it through the current and sand, I'm sure hanging from a Boga for 30sec after all that can't be too bad.... 

that’s a good point. Most people are

ill-equipped to handle fish of that size. The need to light, lighter, lightest with the cost of high end gear causes people to go into extreme panic/shock when they hook up. Fear of the tools breaking and cost of replacement can be factors here lol I run with St Croix warranty so I’m going to push my setups to the limits of turning into a “U”. Rather have my setups fail completely than letting the fight drag on longer than it has to. If I lose the fish, there will always be others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Goldy said:

Oh, so you are saying what the chart shows is BS.  I would tend to believe you more than the chart made up by whoever.  

I stated what I found to be true in my personal multiple examples of my personal multiple fish that I personally checked on multiple certified scales. I only stated what I have found in a very small test. Has anyone actually have a factual personal example that they have personally tested in a similar manner and proved to them the formula is accurate? I have other examples I could check but once I saw the trend on the few I checked I saw no need to go any farther. You can't claim how much a fish weighs that was never put on a scale, length and girth yes. A 6' tall guy can weigh 100 pounds, 200 pounds or 300 lbs. 

 

Does a tailors tape placed over a fish NOT give a false reading as it is reading two planes at once? My fish were measured flat and not over the contour. Maybe the charts are accurate for everyone but me.

 

 

 

 

Edited by SC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 mins ago, SC said:

I stated what I found to be true in my personal multiple examples of my personal multiple fish that I personally checked on multiple certified scales. I only stated what I have found in a very small test. Has anyone actually have a factual personal example that they have personally tested in a similar manner and proved to them the formula is accurate? I have other examples I could check but once I saw the trend on the few I checked I saw no need to go any farther. You can't claim how much a fish weighs that was never put on a scale, length and girth yes. A 6' tall guy can weigh 100 pounds, 200 pounds or 300 lbs. 

 

Does a tailors tape placed over a fish NOT give a false reading as it is reading two planes at once? My fish were measured flat and not over the contour. Maybe the charts are accurate for everyone but me.

 

 

 

 

I agree with you 100%.  Also now bogas although good once they get saltwater are no longer igfa certified.  
 

People have a misconception on what fish actually way.   
 

heres my thing for jersey

 

most people think a 20 is a 30 and a 30 is a 40 and a 40 is a 50.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, John P said:

I hate light tackle for stripe bass unless you are fishing for schoolies.  Landing a 30 # fish using light tackle kills the fish almost every time,especially in the summer months.  Use proper rods and reels. Please, we need to protect the bass we still have.

Boat guys are at fault for this as well.  4000 size reels with 30-50# fish

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 mins ago, Goldy said:

I agree with you 100%.  Also now bogas although good once they get saltwater are no longer igfa certified.  
 

People have a misconception on what fish actually way.   
 

heres my thing for jersey

 

most people think a 20 is a 30 and a 30 is a 40 and a 40 is a 50.    

Hi Goldy, when I worked at the bait shop I routinely weighed stripers in for people who just wanted to know the weight of their fish as well as for tournament purposes. This was when you could keep bigger bass of course. We had a certified (certified every season by RI Weights and Measures) 60 pound digital scale. When the new Boga grip came out we carried the three sizes. I bought the 60 pounder. After weighing in fish (stripers included) on the certified scale I would weigh the stripers on my Boga grip just to see if there was a difference. Each time the 60 pound Boga was very close to the certified scale read out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know you are right,  People feel they have to prove you can land a big fish on 15lb test line. totally wrong headed.  I use a Musky conventional reel with 50lb  braid and get them in as fast as possible.  Even doing that it takes some time to revive and  release . Take your time reviving it's worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Hi Goldy, when I worked at the bait shop I routinely weighed stripers in for people who just wanted to know the weight of their fish as well as for tournament purposes. This was when you could keep bigger bass of course. We had a certified (certified every season by RI Weights and Measures) 60 pound digital scale. When the new Boga grip came out we carried the three sizes. I bought the 60 pounder. After weighing in fish (stripers included) on the certified scale I would weigh the stripers on my Boga grip just to see if there was a difference. Each time the 60 pound Boga was very close to the certified scale read out.

Steve, there is no doubt I agree with you, I calibrate mine 30/60 with lifting weights so they are spot on.  The point i was saying was, you can get your boga IGFA certified if you send to them, but its my understanding that when you get salt water in it, it becomes null and void from weight perspective from IGFA.

 

Anyways, walking around with a boga 60 isn't that much fun.  I've done it. but rarely do it anymore.  It goes on the boat more.  And yes, i weigh fish if it looks close to 50.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...