Jump to content

Safely weighing bigger bass with a hanging scale within the "time limit".

Rate this topic


pelhambaycc

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Boga and get a weight. Revive as long as it needs until it tells you when it wants to go. That’s it. The fish will be fine. You’re overthinking too much.

I agree with LD on this one. We all go fishing with one thing in mind, setting hooks as hard as we can in a fishes mouth and dragging it through the current and sand, I'm sure hanging from a Boga for 30sec after all that can't be too bad.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, hydraman said:

Yea just get quick measurement and send it on its way. Guys weighing fish are tools anyway. Don’t be one.  I just lets them go and they live in my memory. Just enjoy that fish you got last year it will always be with you so don’t regret the small stuff. 

I'll give hydraman the win on this one. 

 

Perfectly said....and I don't want to be any more of a "tool" than I already am....lol

I understand the sensitivity of this debate, as my question was asked with the best interest of the fish, not my own satisfaction...although it will always bug me how close this fish came to 40...50??.. if not for only my own fishing "tales".

Ill be ready next time to get quick length and girth and get any big girls back in the water safely. 

 

Thanks for the insight guys.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you truly want to be a sportsman and save these bigger breeding fish. To he easiest way would be to take a quick length and girth measurement with a sewers/ tailors tape.

Even better, if this can be done with the fish still breathing in the water.

Then use the old formula length x girth squared, divided by 800 = weight.
If you use this formula consistently, you always have the same results. Works really well, if you would like to log your data. I’ve used this formula and it’s pretty darn close, if you can get good accurate measurements. 
 

EA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:
4 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

If you truly want to be a sportsman and save these bigger breeding fish. To he easiest way would be to take a quick length and girth measurement with a sewers/ tailors tape.

Even better, if this can be done with the fish still breathing in the water.

Then use the old formula length x girth squared, divided by 800 = weight.
If you use this formula consistently, you always have the same results. Works really well, if you would like to log your data. I’ve used this formula and it’s pretty darn close, if you can get good accurate measurements. 
 

EA

Then use the old formula length x girth squared, divided by 800 = weight.
If you use this formula consistently, you always have the same results. Works really well, if you would like to log your data. I’ve used this formula and it’s pretty darn close, if you can get good accurate measurements. 
 

EA

I read 100% to the contrary but I have personally tested the "formula" against bass whose weight was known to the ounce. In my findings the "formula" resulted in a substantially "heavier" bass than it weighed on a certified scale every single time. Using a tailors tape exaggerates the size even more as it measures along the contour of the fish and not the actual length. No debate, just a statement of my personal actual findings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An old timer once told me "you don't know how big a striper is until you put it on a scale". I agree. This length stuff is not very accurate unless inches satisfies you. I am old fashioned and knowing the exact weight of  a big fish is important. A 40 or 45" fish means little to me because a fish that size can vary a lot in total weight. I am not suggesting that one weighs every bass they take (like some) but be selective. Only weigh trophy stripers. Boga grips are excellent tools to get an accurate weight. A quick lift on the Boga grip and then a release soon after is better in my opinion than landing the fish, laying it out on a flat surface, finding your measuring tape in your bag, then measuring length and girth of the fish, and then release. I think a Boga grip system is much quicker and safer for the fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 mins ago, DZ said:

Did it for years after tagging bass and also had some tag returns so I know the bass survived the weighing. That said, My suggestion is to get yourself a sling to cradle the fish, something like those blue IKEA bags. Hook it to your scale and weigh your fish. 

Excellent suggestion Dennis. This is the method carp fishermen use. Carp fishing is pretty much 100% catch and release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll weigh my first 30 of the year, first 40 of the year, then anything after that would need to be potential season best to go for a ride on the boga. After a while it becomes pretty easy to eyeball the weight so you can at least tell if the fish is 20 pound class, 30 pound class, 40+ etc. This way, only 3-5 fish get weighed per year. 

 

Many of us don’t have the option to measure a fish while standing on a rock a good distance from flat ground. A quick weight is just a lot more feasible and arguably better for the fish than swimming/dragging it back to shore to have it out of the water long enough for a measurement. Without data, it’s hard to say. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Did it for years after tagging bass and also had some tag returns so I know the bass survived the weighing. That said, My suggestion is to get yourself a sling to cradle the fish, something like those blue IKEA bags. Hook it to your scale and weigh your fish. 

A buddy who fishes for musky and steelhead does this as they’re both sensitive species that don’t handle being hung by their jaw well. Stripers are a little tougher, but it’ can really harm bigger bass and not worth it just so you can get a number you brag to others about.

 

It’s nice to see some good discussion on this and I hope others will try to cut down on their fish handling time. The recreational side of our fishery needs to get better at how we release bass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take a length measurement if you need to. Hanging by the lip to weigh it can cause much greater problems than jaw problems. That fish's gill structure is linked to the jaw area and may be damaged. Also, its internal organs aren't made to be suspended vertically out of water. When you clean a fish you'll see that its connective tissue supporting the organs is thin, like plastic wrap. Keep it horizontal, in the water if possible, measure it quickly and release. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

An old timer once told me "you don't know how big a striper is until you put it on a scale". I agree. This length stuff is not very accurate unless inches satisfies you. I am old fashioned and knowing the exact weight of  a big fish is important. A 40 or 45" fish means little to me because a fish that size can vary a lot in total weight. I am not suggesting that one weighs every bass they take (like some) but be selective. Only weigh trophy stripers. Boga grips are excellent tools to get an accurate weight. A quick lift on the Boga grip and then a release soon after is better in my opinion than landing the fish, laying it out on a flat surface, finding your measuring tape in your bag, then measuring length and girth of the fish, and then release. I think a Boga grip system is much quicker and safer for the fish.

^^^This^^^If I don’t think the fish looks easily 40lbs+ or will break my PB, I will just send it on its way. Got plenty of those 20-30lb shots. They lose their luster after you jump up in the next class of weight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...