Safely weighing bigger bass with a hanging scale within the "time limit".

Rate this topic

Hi

I'm looking for some thoughts on this.

As I'm preparing for one of my yearly spring night Striper chunking trips to target big girls passing through the Western LI Sound after spawning in the Hudson River, I'm trying not to make the same mistake I made 2 years ago.

On one of my spring trips 2 years ago, I landed a really foooking nice fish.

In my adrenaline filled haste, I rushed her right back into the water.

The mistake I made was in not measuring her or weighing her.

I really *******g regret NOT having any accurate measurements or weight on this fish.

My fault.... I wasn't prepared.

I just purchased a little digital KastKing hand scale.

20 bucks....They seem decent.. up to 110lbs....All youtube comparisons within same price range within tenths of a pound.

I'm now playing the scenario in my head to plan on trying to get it right next time.

I'll be ready next time with a tape measure, but I'm a little stuck on how to exactly to pull off getting a big fish quickly and safely "connected" to such a scale.

I'm aware that holding heavy fish up by their gills might not be the safest thing if it's done carelessly, so I'm trying to think about how I would be able use such a small scale hook to get it done safely. 

The stock hook isn't going to cut it.

What are your thoughts on the safety of weighing a big fish in this manner if there was a bigger hanging hook?

How safe is it to concentrate so much weight under a gill "joint"?

Better options?

Thanks guys...

KASTKING SCALE PIC.webp

You could put a plastic "lip gripper" on the lip.then run the hook of the scale through the lanyard of the lip gripper.

Although, I don't think hanging a big one from the mouth is good for it either-probably causes jaw issues.

There’s no safe way to do it. Get a quick length if you want but that’s it.

If you still think otherwise, hang yourself off the hook by your mouth and let us know it went….

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

1. Don't bother, get a good photo and live with the estimate. I'm just using a GoPro now, if I decide I want a still I just capture one from the video.

2. If you must (and you don't), get a sling. They make large ones for musky and carp for example. 

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

guess you’re ok with reducing the likelihood of a released breeder size bass surviving just for a hero shot , right Fergal. Pretty hypocritical of you

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

3 hours ago, Fergal said:

There’s no safe way to do it. Get a quick length if you want but that’s it.

If you still think otherwise, hang yourself off the hook by your mouth and let us know it went….

This. Just measure the length, and then look up a length to weight chart online. They actually provide a pretty accurate measurement; additionally, I think most people generally flex large fish via their length anyway, so saying a “45” fish” sounds better and is more accurately described than a “20lb fish.”

My understand is that length and girth is the only safe way to do it in regards to the health of the fish. Hanging the fish vertical, again from my understanding, can cause damage to internal organs and death some time after a “safe” release as they aren’t used to or anatomically designed to withstand gravity in that direction. 

Edited by Camhabib

I agree with length and girth.  I have no interest in weighing.  I only need length for my logbook.  If I snap a shot, it's still at the waterline and my face isn't in it, since I'm usually alone.

If kayaking, it's in my measuring board, snap a shot, and back in the water.

Edited by Skunkoff

I don't even know if I'm sure my reply is ok...but :) who cares. I don't care if people kill bass and eat em. I don't, but It's a good reason to fish. But the measuring and weighing just to brag? I don't know. I dont even know what my biggest bass is. 35#?What are you doing with that data. I guess if you're submitting it to some conservation agency, ok. I rarely even take em out of the water. But if it's about length and girth I guess everyone could just drop trou on the beach and spare the fish. Haha. I don't keep em. My wife does and eats them. I don't know this whole topic of treatment of fish after the fact the you tricked it into taking your lure,violently set a hook into its jaw, drug it through the water over rocks or to your boat, beach or jetty. You finally get your hands on it and all of a sudden we worry how to weigh it? We used to catch fish. Kill them. Then cook them. Now nobody seems to know what the **** to do with the fish after they catch it. What's next shoot deer with nerf guns. I don't know?