9wt for heavy flies

Rate this topic

sknox88

Hi. New member here.

I'm looking for advice on a 9wt that will work for a saltwater trip, but also double as a rod for pike fishing?

I'm staying in the UK and there aren't many 9wts available to try.

So looking for a rod that will be good for flats fishing but also able to handle some heavier sinking lines and big flies.

I don't really have a budget, just looking for what will suit best.

Edited by sknox88

Almost every 9 wt. fly rod (with a medium-fast, fast action) wil do the job. Look on te internet for "shootout fly rod tests".  You don't have to spend a lot of money for a good fly rod and go to a good fly fishing store for advise and try before you buy anything.

Edited by dixie56

3 hours ago, dixie56 said:

Almost every 9 wt. fly rod (with a medium-fast, fast action) wil do the job. Look on te internet for "shootout fly rod tests".  You don't have to spend a lot of money for a good fly rod and go to a good fly fishing store for advise and try before you buy anything.

There's not many shops that stock or have much knowledge on 9wts in Scotland. 

10 mins ago, HL said:

sknox

If you're near Birmingham - SOL's friend Mike Oliver is building a  custom CTS FSA 909-4 that you can test.

He can build you one if you like it.

Herb

I'm up in central Scotland. The only 9wts I can see in stores available to try are the sage r8 salt and a few pike rods. Unfortunately I will probably have to blind buy. 

two others from Sage to consider are the Maverick 9wt and the Payload 8+ - the Maverick would be a better pure saltwater rod on the flats, but the Payload would probably be a better Pike rod.  The Payload is an 8'9" rod, the Mav standard 9'.  The 8+ Payload is more of a 9 or even 10 wt based on the grain size it is designed to cast:

889-4: Line: 8+ (Grains: 270 - 320gr) - Minnows, clousers, whistlers, and poppers

989-4: Line: 9+ (Grains: 320 - 370gr) - Pike flies, large poppers, and large baitfish

In Scotland true you won't find many 9 wt fly rods. No need for them. The R8 is a great rod but you.need to have a good cast and good DH to get the best out of it.

Vision do 9 wt Pike rods and they are pretty decent.

Herb I have stopped all rod building until my health issues are sorted. Your FSA would not be my first choice for Pike. Had to put that build on hold. I am 300 miles away from Glasgow a long way from the OP. I am not seeing anyone right now except family.

Mike

25 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

In Scotland true you won't find many 9 wt fly rods. No need for them. The R8 is a great rod but you.need to have a good cast and good DH to get the best out of it.

Vision do 9 wt Pike rods and they are pretty decent.

Herb I have stopped all rod building until my health issues are sorted. Your FSA would not be my first choice for Pike. Had to put that build on hold. I am 300 miles away from Glasgow a long way from the OP. I am not seeing anyone right now except family.

Mike

I have a vision pike rod already and like it, it doesn't feel great when used with geared towards saltwater fishing. I'm looking for a rod that will more be a back up to the vision pike rod but will be my main 9wt on fishing holidays.

Don’t overlook Hardy. I would think in Scotland they would be easier to come by than most American rods.

The current top of the line is the Marksman Z, but this recently replaced the Zane Pro, and before that the Zephrus.

(Yes, Hardy likes to change names every couple of years.)

The Sintrix blanks are as high tech nanotechnology as any manufacturer, and are as light and strong as any on the market.

Howard Crofton, their head rod designer is quite the fisherman, and has a penchant for fast rods that cast long, but have a slightly softer tip than the fastest American rods. They tend to be a delight to fish.

3 hours ago, charliestriper said:

Don’t overlook Hardy. I would think in Scotland they would be easier to come by than most American rods.

The current top of the line is the Marksman Z, but this recently replaced the Zane Pro, and before that the Zephrus.

(Yes, Hardy likes to change names every couple of years.)

The Sintrix blanks are as high tech nanotechnology as any manufacturer, and are as light and strong as any on the market.

Howard Crofton, their head rod designer is quite the fisherman, and has a penchant for fast rods that cast long, but have a slightly softer tip than the fastest American rods. They tend to be a delight to fish.

I will give them a try. The availability of spare sections has been an issue for me before when I broke the tip on my DH salmon rod. Tbh that kind of put me off hardy a little.