RI Fish Report Blog, June 10 - June 16

Rate this topic

The Rhode Island Fish Blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity.

Having this information rightly available in one weekly thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters with a fishing rod.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports and comments.   

This is the seventh year for this unique approach. Please post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have for better fishing tomorrow.

thumbnail697.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Apprehensively, I decided to fish a popular spot last night around sunset into dark. Thinking to myself 'I'll deal with a crowd to try to get on some fish tonight.' I was surprised at the lack of fisherman there, albeit a weeknight. I would soon figure out why.... After cycling through my plug bag, I turned out only one bump. No fish landed. I did see one rat blue reeled in by someone else.

Even a couple of years ago, this spot/conditions would have turned out at least a dozen schoolies. Don't want to keep posting doom and gloom but I'm actually beginning to worry about our fishery. I hope it's just a case of "they're somewhere else" or "just one of those years". 

11 hours ago, Wave afterwave said:

Does this year and past few years mirror the first stock clapse ?

I'd have to say no. The early 80s when I started fishing the salt, bass were virtually non existent. I was lucky to get a handful all season. It was almost like weakfishing is now. Instead, we mostly fished for blues and bottom fish, both of which were pretty good to spectacular fishing at times. 

I don't think we are seeing a true species crash of stripers yet. They aren't vanishing, but there are plenty of warning signs. 

Pfantum Pfishah

I Covered a huge section of mid bay yesterday both West and East passages, was shocked by how few people out fishing, but it was a ghost town.  No birds working anything anywhere, never even more then one cormorant in any areas, i marked 1 decent school of bait and basically nothing else.  Marked a few fish in deeper water that didnt budge and saw a few boats live lining pogies and not catching.  Never a splash or anything.  Beautiful day on water but really sad from a fishing perspective.  Not even bottom fisherman were catching nor did i mark much of anything near where they were fishing.  Its going to be a long summer if we have to wait for peanuts and bay anchiovies to roll in late summer/early fall.  

Spent the evening around the water in Gansett and same thing, no boats fishing anywhere and no birds or bait to be seen anywhere.

I think the fishery is obviously at a pretty low point but the lack of bait is probably the bigger cause for the lack of any fish.  They have no reason to come inshore or stage anywhere, staying deep or just blowing by us.

8 mins ago, bdowning said:

I'd have to say no. The early 80s when I started fishing the salt, bass were virtually non existent. I was lucky to get a handful all season. It was almost like weakfishing is now. Instead, we mostly fished for blues and bottom fish, both of which were pretty good to spectacular fishing at times. 

I don't think we are seeing a true species crash of stripers yet. They aren't vanishing, but there are plenty of warning signs. 

I didn't fish for them in the 70s but from things I read, there seems to be certain similarities.

In particular the fact that there were certain areas that held pockets of big fish that lead to the illusion that everything was fine. Some people in those locations even claimed to be having the best fishing of their life, even as the stocks were collapsing up and down the coast.

We're seeing something like that today. Some fishermen, commercials in particular, are crowing about how great their doing while mocking the doom and gloom reports of others.

In this age of GPS, sidescan and cell phones, those pockets of fish are found quicker and pressured harder than ever before. 

^^Right. I should add that I was new to the whole saltwater game during the striper crash and really just starting to learn. So I wasn't very dialed into the bass scene yet. But I remember it being almost unheard of to catch any. Also, most of my observations were based on the Cape, which I fished more than RI back then. Now it's the opposite. 

Pfantum Pfishah

During Late 1970s - mid 1980s downturn there was basically a disappearance of small bass, under 10 lbs. Those bass that were caught were teens on up, and other than a few rare isolated instances over those years, very few were caught in any particular surf session .

Consider my totals during the 1980s

1981-125

1982-44

1983-92

1984-103

1985-106

1986-55

1987-64

Numbers started to increase in 

1988-120

1989-194

1990-217

1991-244

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

Well that’s why I’m asking , I’ve only been back fishing for 3 years and with  in the 3 years I’ve seen a drastic change in our fishery, I remember 2021 not knowing a lot or what I know now so I’d fish the upper bay in middle of July but there would still be a blitz just about every night around sunset , yes it wasn’t anything big , all schoolies maybe a few slots mixed in but schoolies and bluefish everyday at sunset , I personally haven’t seen a blue fish all season yet , and haven’t caught a schoolie at all this year either , so in 2.5 years where all the smaller fish go ? 

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

I Covered a huge section of mid bay yesterday both West and East passages, was shocked by how few people out fishing, but it was a ghost town.  No birds working anything anywhere, never even more then one cormorant in any areas, i marked 1 decent school of bait and basically nothing else.  Marked a few fish in deeper water that didnt budge and saw a few boats live lining pogies and not catching.  Never a splash or anything.  Beautiful day on water but really sad from a fishing perspective.  Not even bottom fisherman were catching nor did i mark much of anything near where they were fishing.  Its going to be a long summer if we have to wait for peanuts and bay anchiovies to roll in late summer/early fall.  

Spent the evening around the water in Gansett and same thing, no boats fishing anywhere and no birds or bait to be seen anywhere.

I think the fishery is obviously at a pretty low point but the lack of bait is probably the bigger cause for the lack of any fish.  They have no reason to come inshore or stage anywhere, staying deep or just blowing by us.

Well that’s also part of my point this is a 2 part front , we need to do something , according to dem Narragansett bay is one of the most important estuaries and menhadan fisheries so there’s plenty of us power in numbers we gotta figure something out cause the bay is getting raped 

2 hours ago, DZ said:

During Late 1970s - mid 1980s downturn there was basically a disappearance of small bass, under 10 lbs. Those bass that were caught were teens on up, and other than a few rare isolated instances over those years, very few were caught in any particular surf session .

Consider my totals during the 1980s

1981-125

1982-44

1983-92

1984-103

1985-106

1986-55

1987-64

Numbers started to increase in 

1988-120

1989-194

1990-217

1991-244

Of small bass ? So basically what’s starting to happen ? I personally haven’t caught 1 small bass like under 20 inches this year 

I have also generally had a few bluefish days via boat and shore by now and I have only caught 1 small one weeks ago.  Love fishing but motivation is tough after this spring, its a lot of hours, gas, and lack of sleep for a chance to grind for a few fish.

Edited by Kooky

49 mins ago, Wave afterwave said:

Of small bass ? So basically what’s starting to happen ? I personally haven’t caught 1 small bass like under 20 inches this year 

These are my total numbers of bass each season. Lots of outings, probably 4-5 nights per week.  
I can see the trend(at least locally) starting to go larger and less smaller for the past two seasons.  You’ll know something is wrong when the entire range of the coast sees the same thing. 

Edited by DZ

23 mins ago, DZ said:

These are my total numbers of bass each season. Lots of outings, probably 4-5 nights per week.  
I can see the trend(at least locally) starting to go larger and less smaller for the past two seasons.  You’ll know something is wrong when the entire range of the coast sees the same thing. 

I mean I know a lot of guys who live in Maine , New York , Jersey there all not having great springs , yes I personally caught my biggest fish ever and gonna be hard to beat that one but it hasn’t been some banner spring run for a lot of people I talk with