Shimano Stella Question

Rate this topic

Anyone with experience with these reels for light/inshore fishing; pier, surf, party boats, etc. For fish like porgy, bluefish, stripers, sea bass, fluke, cod. Am considering between the Stella SW and the new FK. I know the FK is mainly a freshwater reel but it's also rated for light saltwater fishing, will it hold up in saltwater if cleaned and maintained properly? Also what size reel would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your time and response!

I have the Stella Fk4000. I take it out on partyboats and charters. Its a nice reel. In retrospect I probably would have gotten something for 200 bucks and spent the other 600 on beer.

I'd reccomend you get the 4000 at least, they are light enough you dont really gain anything by going smaller.

EDIT

I have an extra spool for mine, the 5000 size spool is interchangeable with the 4000, I think the only difference is the depth of the spool. So if line capacity is important to you, or you prefer heavier braid consider the 5000

Edited by Richizzzle
Clarity

I recommend you narrow down on your rod setup and line weight. Consider which one will balance better with your rod based on weight.  between SW and FK weight difference is pretty huge. 

SW reel is heavier duty, both should hold up fishing in saltwater with proper maintenance, but no dunking. 

If you fish more bluefish and stripers, especially in heavy current, SW is probably a safer bet as it should be able to take more load.  But it's heavier than FK line.

I have two twin powers SW 6000 and 8000, I like them.  Fished fresh water size Shimano C5000XG (4000 body with 5000 spool) real before, it handled inlets to a point, don't really recommend though for currents, but now went on my ultralight setup for fluke that you can also be handled with a 2500 size reel or C3000. 

On 6/7/2024 at 2:56 PM, Richizzzle said:

I have the Stella Fk4000. I take it out on partyboats and charters. Its a nice reel. In retrospect I probably would have gotten something for 200 bucks and spent the other 600 on beer.

I'd reccomend you get the 4000 at least, they are light enough you dont really gain anything by going smaller.

EDIT

I have an extra spool for mine, the 5000 size spool is interchangeable with the 4000, I think the only difference is the depth of the spool. So if line capacity is important to you, or you prefer heavier braid consider the 5000

What made you go with the new FK vs getting a SW for saltwater fishing?

Would a Stella FK 5000 handle most Long Island fish like Stripers, Bonito, or Blues? I'm leaning towards the FK vs SW due to the weight difference and the fact that i might not need the hardcore SW version.

6 hours ago, Phoneix8 said:

Would a Stella FK 5000 handle most Long Island fish like Stripers, Bonito, or Blues? I'm leaning towards the FK vs SW due to the weight difference and the fact that i might not need the hardcore SW version.

In the freshwater line, Stella FK is the pinnacle of them all, I think it can handle those fish if you know how spinning reels work and can adjust to various conditions without winching the fish in. 

Stella has aluminum rotor, which is pretty strong and special coating on main gears that should make it last longer, but no fool proof, and if overloaded will not last. 

What is your fishing style, lures, how often and how long are you going to fish?