ned rigging

I just "discovered" ned rig, yeah i know i'm like 5 years behind the times here. 

Was on a reservoir in the catskills fishing for post spawn sallies.

used a 1/4oz vmc head and z man trd in some goby color. 

I couldn't believe how effective it worked even in spots that we had pulled a few fish on topwater in like 12' we could still manage a handful more on neds in the same water. 

I briefly searched for a ned topic but didn't see one. 

I occasionally fish with a couple guys that have been using them for a few years, but i'm curious what the board has to say.  Any tips? Opinions? love me hate em? etc?

Just like any bait sometimes it's just what they want.

Google Ned Kehde 6 retrieves.

Don't overlook just dead sticking em, found that when I was casting it out and had wind knot or something and when I got it straightened  out I had a fish on.

I mostly use a 1/16 oz head, it has a slower sink depending on conditions, and mostly not deeper than about 12'.

It catches anything that swims. 

On 6/7/2024 at 5:33 PM, hobobob said:

Before that, there was shakey head, before that, it's simple ball jig.....

I dunno about that. I have been a jigging fool for 40 years. this is different. the head straight down tail up is a very convincing presentation. 

never did the shakey thing so no comment there. 

14 hours ago, BrianZ said:

I dunno about that. I have been a jigging fool for 40 years. this is different. the head straight down tail up is a very convincing presentation. 

never did the shakey thing so no comment there. 

That's literally what shakey head does.  Focus on rocky areas.  Elaztech has been around for a very very long time.  I still use them from time to time, shakey head + strike king 3x finesse worms.  Hook point need to exposed 100% of the when using elaztech plastics. 

On 6/7/2024 at 8:26 AM, BrianZ said:

I occasionally fish with a couple guys that have been using them for a few years, but i'm curious what the board has to say.  Any tips? Opinions? love me hate em? etc?

Love 'em!  (And the fish love 'em, too).  All kinds of shapes + sizes + profiles + colors now to choose from.  Some days the fish seem to prefer 1 over another.

Where I fish, we need to use lead-free jigheads. And I generally am fishing lighter weights: 1/10 - 3/32 oz.  You can go heavier in windy conditions or current or very deep water, but generally the lighter weights get more bites.

3 other similar rigs:

"Reverse-rigged" big TRD w/ 1/16 oz tungsten nail weight glued into the flat end w/ a 2/0 Neko hook w/ fluoro bait keeper.  The bait keeper is key to keep the "head" of the bait up on the hook.

Tungsten Arsenal Tackle Weedless Neg rig....2/0 for Savage Salamander.....3/0 for Z-Man Hula Stickz.  This jighead also benefits from a bait keeper, but need to tie it on yourself.  Z-Man has a similar design for smaller baits if you can use lead jigheads.

Micro Texas-Rig w/ a baby goat or trd bugz.  1/16 oz tungsten worm weight + 1/0 Owner Rig-N-Hook (again, a fluoro bait keeper helps, but need to tie it on yourself.). If no bait keeper, go w/ some kind of regular platisol bait.