Hi-Lo rigs

Rate this topic

Alex G

I think Tommy farmer sells drum rigs that work well for stripers. Bob bott used to tie rigs for blood worm fishing. His stuff was high quality. He was in jersey if I remember correctly. Hi low rigs work great for stripers. Caught a many on one in the surf. However there they are more like a lo lo rig. 

5 hours ago, fishfinder said:

Screenshot_20240606_233525_Chrome.jpg.451352062577345bc4d6045b9c8ad46e.jpgCan't make things any easier these days. Or just look on tiktok or insta or YouTube for the thousands of how to tie hi low rig vids lol

I wish this product was more available/affordable  here in the states.   It's a AUS product and imo, quite versatile.    But at $40USD a spool, I'm out.   Even if it was 2x the price of plain leader I'd buy it. Just for the convenience factor.   Loop 2 loop a barrel swivel on top to mainline, L2L a duolock or clip on the bottom w/ loop for teaser in-between.  Or go Hi/Lo.  Or single hook, or triple.   

So much variation in combos.  With zero knot tieing needed.  

Comes in weights from 10lb to 100lb. 

They are easy to make yourself. Once you’ve tied a couple up, the rest become easier. I used to use a board with marks on it to keep spacing the same on each one tied up. I did a couple versions of different lengths between loops. 

I don’t have the board anymore or I’d post a picture. Best way to describe, 4 ft long with open cup holder hook( these are small hooks) that screw into the board. From there figure out the distance between loops and make marks with a pencil along its length, once you are happy with the spacing use a permanent marker to mark them. 

Make your first end loop, loop that on the hook, stretch the line out, at the first mark is where you’d form the loop. 

This helped me speed up the tying of rigs. 

14 mins ago, Rob A said:

Buy a spool of mono and practice.  By the 3-4th one you'll get the hang of it.  For $20. you have unlimited high/low rigs.  

What he said. Some mono you will like better than others, some are stiff and others softer. Buy some different types and see how you like them, mono is cheap enough. 

Get small but strong baitholder hooks. You loop through the eye of the hook and pull the hook through. 

That style is perfect for stuff like porgy and should hold up accidental by-catch of other species. 

Thank you Stryper Snyper and EricDice.  Actually, I had in mind pre-tied rigs.  I think, I bought some hi-lo striper rigs years back on this site, if I am not mistaken.