Another good striped bass bust

Rate this topic

CWitek

11 mins ago, Cascade said:

A buy out of tag holders was discussed years ago in NY. It seemed to have dropped dead. I would like to see it happen but those who SHARE the tags of others would cry foul.

The problem, as it so often is, is money.  

I sat in on some of those conversations, and it all came down to where the funding for the buyback would come from.  Until that source is identified, the proposal is dead on arrival.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

6 mins ago, CWitek said:

The problem, as it so often is, is money.  

I sat in on some of those conversations, and it all came down to where the funding for the buyback would come from.  Until that source is identified, the proposal is dead on arrival.

I could see that can being kicked way down the road

3 hours ago, Cascade said:

A buy out of tag holders was discussed years ago in NY. It seemed to have dropped dead. I would like to see it happen but those who SHARE the tags of others would cry foul.

Why buy them out - use it or lose it.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

20 hours ago, Cascade said:

That was also discussed and promoted by some tag holders to get more tags.

The whole issue of bass tags and how they're used is coming up at the Marine Resources Advisory Council again.  There were initial discussions at the May meeting, and we can epect those discussions to continue throughout the rest of this year.

That being the case, any New York anglers (or commercial fishermen) ought to get their name on the MRAC email list, keep their eyes on the agenda, and be willing to show up and make comments when the topic comes up.  Changes may or may not be on the horizon, depending on how the discussions go.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams