Another good striped bass bust

Rate this topic

CWitek

3 mins ago, Richizzzle said:

The most likely sentencing...

"The boat's Captain was ordered to pay a 14 dollar fine to be paid over the course of 27 years"

No, the local judge will throw it out completely.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

In truth, in East Hampton, either of the predicted results is possible.

The town court there is not particularly hard on poachers.

What I would like to see the DEC do is begin using administrative remedies, suspending or revoking licenses for repeat offenders.  Not sure if they have the statutory power to do it, but if so, it would be a good step forward.  If not, new legislation is needed.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

16 mins ago, CWitek said:

What I would like to see the DEC do is begin using administrative remedies, suspending or revoking licenses for repeat offenders. 

They could get rid of the fine structure entirely if they did that :th: Remove their ability to kill a striped bass for sale for a few years or a decade. Laws only work when they can be a deterrent as compliance is much cheaper than enforcement. And it's obvious the folks getting rich stealing fish to sell don't have any interest in compliance because the laws make poaching a very worthwhile business. If the minimum punishment isn't severe enough to deter them from trying to get away with poaching it's kind of green lighting these kind of professional poaching operations. Take away their licenses...they've already proven they aren't interested in the laws.  

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

It’s only a good bust if there’s some permanent pain for the guilty parties going forward. There’s not. They’ll keep their tags, the angler that wasn’t there will keep their tags, the fine will be minimal and they’ll just make it up on the next trip, which was probably the next day.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

1 min ago, Fergal said:

It’s only a good bust if there’s some permanent pain for the guilty parties going forward. There’s not. They’ll keep their tags, the angler that wasn’t there will keep their tags, the fine will be minimal and they’ll just make it up on the next trip, which was probably the next day.

I agree, but anything law enforcement can do to mess them up, hassle them, cost them money or make them think twice next time is better than nothing. Not by much...but it's better than nothing...

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

What good would come from taking their license away? None!

They are already fishing illegal so why would they care if it is legit or not with no lience?

The answer would be to take the boat but the State can’t afford to keep storage of such until a trial happens. And even then they would pay a fine and get it back.

Boat should be scudeled and that would end the issue.

Edited by LowEnd

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

In truth, in East Hampton, either of the predicted results is possible.

The town court there is not particularly hard on poachers.

What I would like to see the DEC do is begin using administrative remedies, suspending or revoking licenses for repeat offenders.  Not sure if they have the statutory power to do it, but if so, it would be a good step forward.  If not, new legislation is needed.

During the moratorium the brother of one of the idiots I used to work with got popped running a gill net. They got him with 82, did I mention he was also loaded? He outted that if they thought that was something they should see what he had at home. A search warrant later they fined him $25,000 and suspended his license for 5 years.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

Were these all fish in a legal slot, no shorts or overs? Basically all 10 pounders?

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.