Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LatinAngler

Goin Toggin

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

As posted in a previous thread I plan on going toggin the weekend of the 5th. I can't wait anymore to fish!! I am going out of Sheepshead Bay. This is my first tog trip. From hearing you guys talk it sounds like tog is a good time. What boat's are good to go out on? And being this is my first trip,what can I use to catch tog?confused.gif Thanks for the replies.

LA

I went for my first time in Sheepshead Bay - Ocean Eagle. Sails 7AM.

Bait = Green crabs supplied by the boat - you have to pick your own when they are set out about half way to teh fishing grounds. No one is going to tell you the bait is out. They also sell ?Calico? crabs prior to the boat departing, up in the bow, $5 a dozen. Bring "At least" a half a dozen, 8, 10, and 16oz sinkers - just in case. I went through about (8) 10oz. sinkers yesterday.

Hooks - whatever you like, size 2/0-4/0. Octopus, baitholder are the 2 I've used, but others use other types. Leader - 40-60lb test.

Do a search of the Main Forum - there is a lot of Tog info here.

Billy

LA,

in the last 3 weeks there have been numerous threads on form and function of toggin you may want to do a search. but a couple quick tips...bait is provided in the form of crabs, you may have to cut or leave whole, the fish will tell you what they want, rigs are available as well as is lead but you may want to get some sinkers before getting on the boat as it will be cheaper, i would get a half dozen 10 12 16 and 20's just to be safe. there is a ton of useful info on several different threads on rigs adn rods and reels and line preferrences by some other sol toggers...

bill40;hi:

tip: for sink you can use Rebar.size 7, 8,9, cut to size for different weights.they always have scrap on the construction jobs when they are bending Rebar.

Eddie