Spit balling a boat electrical question....

Rate this topic

JaseB

198 DLV Skiff, 115 Yamaha.   4 or 5 year old Interstate Cranking battery.  No electronics on the boat other than a simple depth finder/chart plotter.   Pull the battery every Fall.   Charged it up and installed it in april, boat started and ran just fine.   Came back in early May, battery was DEAD.  Pulled it, put on trickle charger over night, full charge, reinstalled and ran the boat for 4 days no issues.   

Came down last night, battery totally dead again.  Pulled it, put on trickle for 18 hours, still showing charging.   Had some kids real excited for a boat, figured battery was probably spent, drop the coin on another.  2 options, Walmart 35 minutes away or little local place, mom and pop convenience store that stocked random boat and camping supplies  3 minutes away.   Figured time and gas, splurge on the local place, big question was how long had they been sitting on the rack?   Picked up a Precision Cranking.  1000 CCA

Popped it in, boat started right up.  Voltage gauge was showing 12v.   Put her over and went for a little 20 minute joy ride with the kiddos.   On plane the whole time.   Noticed the Tach wasn't running, but spedo and chart plotter were.  Voltage meter was saying 14.  Who cares about the tach, I know what she sounds like......

Pulling up to the dock, pop here in neutral and she quits.   Won't restart.   Nothing, no crank, motor won't trim up or down.   Chart plotter and bilge will will run, voltage meter is show 0.

Big question is did I get a chitty old battery or is there a larger issue?   I pulled the "new" one and have it on the trickle.  

I can do all the regular maintenance, fluids, etc.  Electrical is not something I know anything about. 

Thanks for any input. 

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

Usually there is a sticker with month and date on the battery that shows manufacture date.

I would pull the battery, take it to an auto zone, or the like, have them test it.

Results of that test will determine your next move. 

Hope you saved the receipt. 

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Get a clamp on DC Amp meter, and see what is drawing current that shouldn't be.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

58 mins ago, JaseB said:

198 DLV Skiff, 115 Yamaha.   4 or 5 year old Interstate Cranking battery.  No electronics on the boat other than a simple depth finder/chart plotter.   Pull the battery every Fall.   Charged it up and installed it in april, boat started and ran just fine.   Came back in early May, battery was DEAD.  Pulled it, put on trickle charger over night, full charge, reinstalled and ran the boat for 4 days no issues.   

Came down last night, battery totally dead again.  Pulled it, put on trickle for 18 hours, still showing charging.   Had some kids real excited for a boat, figured battery was probably spent, drop the coin on another.  2 options, Walmart 35 minutes away or little local place, mom and pop convenience store that stocked random boat and camping supplies  3 minutes away.   Figured time and gas, splurge on the local place, big question was how long had they been sitting on the rack?   Picked up a Precision Cranking.  1000 CCA

Popped it in, boat started right up.  Voltage gauge was showing 12v.   Put her over and went for a little 20 minute joy ride with the kiddos.   On plane the whole time.   Noticed the Tach wasn't running, but spedo and chart plotter were.  Voltage meter was saying 14.  Who cares about the tach, I know what she sounds like......

Pulling up to the dock, pop here in neutral and she quits.   Won't restart.   Nothing, no crank, motor won't trim up or down.   Chart plotter and bilge will will run, voltage meter is show 0.

Big question is did I get a chitty old battery or is there a larger issue?   I pulled the "new" one and have it on the trickle.  

I can do all the regular maintenance, fluids, etc.  Electrical is not something I know anything about. 

Thanks for any input. 

My guess would be a bad/corroded/chewed up battery terminal or cable between the battery and the motor.

26 mins ago, makorider said:

I was going to say bilge float stuck until you mentioned the tach

115 2-stroke, yes?

voltage rectifier/regulator is my guess

Put a multimeter on the battery when running, see if you're getting > mid 12s

4 stroke.  Bilge is on a manual on/off.

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

Do you have any power distribution like a fuse panel or termination posts that you can kill everything at and add one point back at a time? With everything off I’d throw an amp clamp on the + going to the battery and add each point or pop each fuse in one at a time until you see the meter show activity. Tag it, put everything else back on and see what doesn’t work. 

Edited by chessie_yaker