Lots of bass around?

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, albacized said:

It's been a few trips since I personally fished in an area with a good number of fish - last night, tried fishing the last of the outgoing at a popular river to the north. I was hoping to find some bass as well as some drop back shad as they exited the river. A fair number of people fishing, but only saw one striper caught (by a bait fisherman using clams)....I was fly fishing for a majority of the trip and only caught two hickory shad, plus lost a 3rd. So while I did catch 'shad', it was the wrong kind (in years past, once the run was over further upstream of the river, you'd have a nice window of opportunity to catch American shad as they moved out, especially the fly guys or spin guys who were aware and added small teasers to whatever they were throwing for stripers). 

I had been having fair luck at a southside cape location. However, my last time down there (which was 4-5 days ago, I barely escaped the skunk with one 20" fish. I also fished a pile of rocks up in the Cape Anne area two consecutive days, where I ended up with a single micro schoolie and 'the skunk' respectively - I only went back the second day because I saw a good number of mackerel caught and opted to try that area again with a few changes to my approach.

Last year was similar for me, where I had good luck within a spring time window before it shut completely down. I didn't catch another striper until I caught one incidentally while throwing epoxy jigs at canal albies last Sept. Towards the very end of last year, I finally found fair spurt of fish in some back bays down in RI. 

That river has been tough this year, so far. Was out there yesterday afternoon and we got skunked. You probably stepped in the water when we were pulling the boat out around 7:30.

58 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

It has been a fantastic spring and the bait is funneling nicely.  Lots off fish went a round back.  This week to 4th of July should be good day time then nighttime only for me.  1 week from today commercial opens.

Perfect, then the slaughter of all the big breeders chasing bunker off shore can commence. What a joke. 

9 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Perfect, then the slaughter of all the big breeders chasing bunker off shore can commence. What a joke. 

Here we go again...

Well from my experience this summer, there are no bass anyways.

Does anyone know if undercooked sea robin can make you sick? I took a bite of a slightly undercooked piece and I am wondering if they are known to have parasites?

51 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Here we go again...

Well from my experience this summer, there are no bass anyways.

Does anyone know if undercooked sea robin can make you sick? I took a bite of a slightly undercooked piece and I am wondering if they are known to have parasites?

There’s definitely a lot less bass around than there used to be. 
I don’t think sea robin is any different than other fish in terms of parasites. You be fine…probably…

26 mins ago, z-man said:

There’s definitely a lot less bass around than there used to be. 
I don’t think sea robin is any different than other fish in terms of parasites. You be fine…probably…

Lot less Bass depends on who you ask.  It has been tough for shore bound anglers but if you have a boat there is plenty of fish to be had. 

8 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Very similar to our season both this year and last.

Our reliable spring spot produced good numbers of slot or bigger. Last year we had a couple in the 43-44 inch class, this year we didn't break 40.

Seems like it fizzled out earlier than last year.

Last summer we did run into a few modestly productive days at the canal but nothing big and we got skunked a few times too.

Last year when the comm season opened it coincided with all those big fish dropping down from the estuaries and the fleet was right on top of them. It is not surprising that the bass either exited early or simply didn't make it back in the same quantity. It is the same thing that has been happening to any reliable concentration of big fish over the past 15 years.

3 hours ago, FoulHooker said:

Lot less Bass depends on who you ask.  It has been tough for shore bound anglers but if you have a boat there is plenty of fish to be had. 

Well then there aren't a lot of bass.  

When there were an abundance of fish, everyone caught them. Both from shore and a boat.

For a variety of reasons, primarily a collapsing biomass, the inshore fishery isn't a shadow of what it once was.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Been fishing on the Vineyard for the past  two days, nearly full time. Caught one blue so far. I had 2-3 slot sized stripers actually swim between my feet in the surf but couldn’t get one on the line despite throwing the bag. Fish are out there, just not hooking up with them personally. 

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

When there were an abundance of fish, everyone caught them. Both from shore and a boat.

For a variety of reasons, primarily a collapsing biomass, the inshore fishery isn't a shadow of what it once was.

I have spots that I consistently caught bass in the spring like clockwork for 20 years that have been completely void of life the last two years. There’s clearly something wrong here. 

On 6/10/2024 at 7:49 AM, bob_G said:

I guess to each his own.

But watching those videos almost makes me ill. The hooting, hollering, whooping, bellowing.  Then watching the fish get completely abused. Culminating with the classic hero photo, as if he just captured Putin or Osama bin Laden, and expects a medal.

Too many of those for sure, but I'll always throw on an elias v video while cooking dinner! 

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm sure your elders said the same.  It is cyclical