Lots of bass around?

Rate this topic

Some of the better spots have plenty of sand around them , especially mid cape to P town . The locations that  have the rock piles around them have been doing well at some locations, but most of  the bigger fish  seem to like the sandy spots.    The water temperatures seem to be having an early affect , especially during the day light hours if the sun is shining . The large pods of squid for what ever reason are still in the deeper waters , but some have worked there way along the rock piles at the evening turns have made them a target . The rock piles are holding a few mackerel and small silvers [whiting] which have been turning on the fish , but again not very big fish as the larger have also found the feed along the sand much better for what  ever reason.  It is still hit or miss with an occasional spurt of larger fish that the commercials are taking advantage of . You are correct that fish covered in sand is very tasteful and if you scratch its belly they will talk back to you. Peace and Prayers  

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

28 mins ago, JB Bass Jr said:

I am always here looking for latest content. I think everyone is a YouTube boob nowadays. I’m on the south shore and the surf action has been going well for the past month. Hope you guys get tight soon 

ARe you related to a MR>  Bass that recently has passed that once fished the canal ?   He was in to high tech security  Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

12 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

ARe you related to a MR>  Bass that recently has passed that once fished the canal ?   He was in to high tech security  Peace and Prayers

I was thinking along the same lines.  But in my case, I thought he might be related to the late John Furz……JFBasser.  

37 mins ago, Joe G said:

I was thinking along the same lines.  But in my case, I thought he might be related to the late John Furz……JFBasser.  

Joe that was also my thought, but it is not the case. John was a great guy and we named a hole after him while he was alive that he shared with some of us that caught big fish during the season on the mainland side. It was a great spot for plugs and or jigs depending upon where the current change was during the east running changes. WE fished it from low to high and hardly had to ever move once you set up . I still have the two way marine radio he gave to me one year and every time I turn it on I can recall his wit and charm along with his fishing skills as a person that cared about every one, fish and man. WE need more like him today given the recent banter of some here who use foul language in describing some thing they are not happy about. He is Missed. Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

It's been a few trips since I personally fished in an area with a good number of fish - last night, tried fishing the last of the outgoing at a popular river to the north. I was hoping to find some bass as well as some drop back shad as they exited the river. A fair number of people fishing, but only saw one striper caught (by a bait fisherman using clams)....I was fly fishing for a majority of the trip and only caught two hickory shad, plus lost a 3rd. So while I did catch 'shad', it was the wrong kind (in years past, once the run was over further upstream of the river, you'd have a nice window of opportunity to catch American shad as they moved out, especially the fly guys or spin guys who were aware and added small teasers to whatever they were throwing for stripers). 

I had been having fair luck at a southside cape location. However, my last time down there (which was 4-5 days ago, I barely escaped the skunk with one 20" fish. I also fished a pile of rocks up in the Cape Anne area two consecutive days, where I ended up with a single micro schoolie and 'the skunk' respectively - I only went back the second day because I saw a good number of mackerel caught and opted to try that area again with a few changes to my approach.

Last year was similar for me, where I had good luck within a spring time window before it shut completely down. I didn't catch another striper until I caught one incidentally while throwing epoxy jigs at canal albies last Sept. Towards the very end of last year, I finally found fair spurt of fish in some back bays down in RI. 

15 hours ago, JB Bass Jr said:

I am always here looking for latest content. I think everyone is a YouTube boob nowadays. I’m on the south shore and the surf action has been going well for the past month. Hope you guys get tight soon 

The funny thing is that while I do watch fishing related youtube videos, I never watched them for current reports...more so just to see other tactics I could try. On many occasions, the age of the videos in question can be measured in terms of years. 

4 mins ago, albacized said:

The funny thing is that while I do watch fishing related youtube videos, I never watched them for current reports...more so just to see other tactics I could try. On many occasions, the age of the videos in question can be measured in terms of years. 

I guess to each his own.

But watching those videos almost makes me ill. The hooting, hollering, whooping, bellowing.  Then watching the fish get completely abused. Culminating with the classic hero photo, as if he just captured Putin or Osama bin Laden, and expects a medal.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Just now, bob_G said:

I guess to each his own.

But watching those videos almost makes me ill. The hooting, hollering, whooping, bellowing.  Then watching the fish get completely abused. Culminating with the classic hero photo, as if he just captured Putin or Osama bin Laden, and expects a medal.

There's definitely those videos floating around out there...but I'm talking more so rigging or fly tying. But I'm with you on the vids you're referring to

1 hour ago, albacized said:

It's been a few trips since I personally fished in an area with a good number of fish - last night, tried fishing the last of the outgoing at a popular river to the north. I was hoping to find some bass as well as some drop back shad as they exited the river. A fair number of people fishing, but only saw one striper caught (by a bait fisherman using clams)....I was fly fishing for a majority of the trip and only caught two hickory shad, plus lost a 3rd. So while I did catch 'shad', it was the wrong kind (in years past, once the run was over further upstream of the river, you'd have a nice window of opportunity to catch American shad as they moved out, especially the fly guys or spin guys who were aware and added small teasers to whatever they were throwing for stripers). 

I had been having fair luck at a southside cape location. However, my last time down there (which was 4-5 days ago, I barely escaped the skunk with one 20" fish. I also fished a pile of rocks up in the Cape Anne area two consecutive days, where I ended up with a single micro schoolie and 'the skunk' respectively - I only went back the second day because I saw a good number of mackerel caught and opted to try that area again with a few changes to my approach.

Last year was similar for me, where I had good luck within a spring time window before it shut completely down. I didn't catch another striper until I caught one incidentally while throwing epoxy jigs at canal albies last Sept. Towards the very end of last year, I finally found fair spurt of fish in some back bays down in RI. 

Very similar to our season both this year and last.

Our reliable spring spot produced good numbers of slot or bigger. Last year we had a couple in the 43-44 inch class, this year we didn't break 40.

Seems like it fizzled out earlier than last year.

Last summer we did run into a few modestly productive days at the canal but nothing big and we got skunked a few times too.

Our one trip there so far this year it was like a ghost town. We only saw one fish caught. We hung around all day, moving spot to spot and not only saw no fish, almost no fishermen.

We never even hit RI this spring. Partly because our local spot heated up early, but also because we were discouraged by the dismal reports. True, one or two social media stars were claiming "best season in history", but several guys I have known and/or followed for 30 years were giving more realistic reports. 

My son has a bad habit of getting carried away by yt, insta and otw reports. This weekend it was a RI guy who posted two alleged 50s. I'm sure he really caught them, not saying otherwise, but the general info I'm getting doesn't support dropping everything and making that two hour drive. I'll chase reports when I have enough to go on. I don't chase unicorns.

We had a very good fall in RI last year. Nothing big but good numbers of slot and above. One long weekend in particular was like the good old days. But I think we just lucked into a body of fish that were migrating by and stopped to gorge on abundant anchovies. 

We shall see how the remaining season goes this year. It seems the slot is working to protect that age class. The smalls are conspicuous in their absence. We have not found any real big ones but that's probably more about how and where we fish.

The scariest thing to me is all the reports I'm seeing of big bunker with no bass around them. That can't be good.