PLB or EPIRB

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Hence my comment about "just throw it."  Don't even wait for the hydro release to do it's job, just throw it on your own.

4 hours ago, alaskansteve said:

guess yours doesn't have a hydro release ? still have to turn it on manually, if you remember when the shite hits the fan.

Guess you missed the part where I said " Don't even wait for the hydro release to do it's job, just throw it on your own."

Sure, if you don't have the presence of mind or time to throw it on your own, then you can rely on the release to do it's job, hoping the EPIRB doesn't get stuck in the rigging or something else, but if you do have the time (10 seconds?), why not just take it out of the release and throw it clear on your own?

On 6/4/2024 at 6:35 PM, Lagerhead said:

Who’s got one? I will eventually be purchasing a PLB. Looks like ACR is the manufacturer. They range from $370 to $470. EPIRBS are twice that.

I don't go offshore but I go weird places on land. Been carrying a PLB for 20 years( 2 McMurdos) and will switch to ACR soon. I tried the InReach system on a trip last fall. It's nice but it does not replace a PLB.

You have to pay for the InReach service.

Edited by snapper1

Just now, Lagerhead said:

It seems the PLB does not require a subscription. 

That's because it's a sort of one-trick pony that can only serve as an emergency beacon.

The Inreach is also a communications device that allows you to send texts and emails, tracks your location in real time (and also allows you to review where you went and where you were at specific times), has a GPS function that allows you to check your position, etc.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

8 hours ago, makorider said:

Throw it?  F that, I'll have the death grip bear hug on it long before the boat is 15' under.

Fight me for it.  I dare you.

Well, yes, that too.  I'm simply saying that by design it's supposed to hydro release and self-activate.  The potential issues are that it gets stuck on release in the rigging, or maybe the boat doesn't completely sink, but you need to get off because of the fire.

If you grab it and throw it, no more worry about what I just outlined, it'll self activate when it gets wet, and now you're free to go for the liferaft and medkit, in the dark, upside down, on fire, with injuries.

Oh joy.

On 6/10/2024 at 8:03 AM, CWitek said:

That's because it's a sort of one-trick pony that can only serve as an emergency beacon.

The Inreach is also a communications device that allows you to send texts and emails, tracks your location in real time (and also allows you to review where you went and where you were at specific times), has a GPS function that allows you to check your position, etc.

"EPIRBs are designed specifically for emergency response, by automatically (category 1) or manually activating (category 2) in the event of distress. A Garmin InReach can be used at sea but you SHOULD NOT be used as a substitute to an EPIRB. By all means use one for two-way messaging with friends and family or reach out for assistance after activating your EPIRB."

That being said, if you are purchasing one device, buy an EPIRB or a PLB. 

Tight Lines & Screaming Reels.