Going to Alaska - Tips and Tricks?

Rate this topic

Hi all, 

The folks and I are going on a cruise. We are departing Whittier, Alaska, and traveling down the Alaskan and Canadian coastlines before we finish in Vancouver. I’m from Georgia, now living in Louisiana, so I know nothing about fishing in the Pacific. 

I don’t plan on doing any fishing excursions, as I want to spend time with the family, but I do hope to cast a line from shore along our stops. 

I’m a really passionate multi-species angler - I’m hoping to catch as many species as possible (as well as the occasional bigger fish too). What techniques and natural baits would you recommend for fishing fjords and rocky coastlines? I’ll probably bring a travel Ugly Stik or something similar and my Penn Battle 6000. 

Lastly, do any of you guys’ have experience with bank fishing in Vancouver, Anchorage, Whittier, Juneau, or Ketchikan? 

Thanks in advance! 

Haven’t fished those spots. What I’d recommend is doing some google searches for places that sell tackle in the ports you’ll be visiting. Call them and ask for suggestions on where to fish. There are likely streams that dump in nearby that might hold coho, pinks or dollies. 
Since you won’t have a vehicle, I’d also ask about transportation options for getting you to the fishing areas if you can’t walk to them.

As far as gear goes, it’s going to be hard to beat spinners and spoons. Maybe take some marabou jigs as well that you can twitch.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

in anchorage you can fish ship creek for kings and coho's, there is a small tackle shop right there. In Shittier aka whittier you can fish around the harbor and there are a couple of fishing spots just outside of town you can walk to. Be careful of the bears that have started hanging around the harbor they have been a big problem stealing fish off of boats. Whittier is a dump of a town so don't expect much.

Get some #3 &4 vibrax spinners and a few blue fox pixees they catch everything here.

prince william sound fishing and hunting page on FB may help you dial in fishing around whittier. Make sure you get a fishing license.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/video/2021/05/21/fishing-report-first-king-salmon-season-ship-creek-2/

Edited by alaskansteve

On 6/6/2024 at 11:03 PM, alaskansteve said:

n anchorage you can fish ship creek for kings and coho's, there is a small tackle shop right there. In Shittier aka whittier you can fish around the harbor and there are a couple of fishing spots just outside of town you can walk to. Be careful of the bears that have started hanging around the harbor they have been a big problem stealing fish off of boats. Whittier is a dump of a town so don't expect much.

Get some #3 &4 vibrax spinners and a few blue fox pixees they catch everything here.

prince william sound fishing and hunting page on FB may help you dial in fishing around whittier. Make sure you get a fishing license.

Edited by moocks

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wives pictures on the milk Carton