Reviews--Lamiglas Super Surf 3rd Generation (3G) surf rod---plugging rod for the Cape Cod Canal and area beaches.

Rate this topic

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a "great plugging rod" for the Cape Cod Canal and area beaches.  I currently own an 11' ODM Jigster 4-10 oz for jigging the canal and it also provides double duty as a plugging rod too (little heavy).

I just came across the 2024 Lamiglas Super Surf "3rd Generation" in an 11', 2-5 oz that caught my eye.  It is a beautiful looking rod in battleship gray (light gray). 

Whatever plugging rod I select--it must be able to throw 1.5 oz Yo Zuri Hydro Minnows at the low end and 4.25 oz pencil poppers at the higher end.  In addition, it must be able to throw everything else in between this range like stick shads, magic swimmers, gliders, walk the dog DOCs, poppers...etc....all various sizes ranging between 1.5 oz to 4.5oz sizes.  Definitely prefer a medium/fast action rod too not too stiff and not too mushy either....so subjective I understand...but backbone with some parabolic flex in top 1/3 of the rod seems to make the ideal plugging rod for me. 

The only other rod that I have been very interested in is the ODM Frontier-X 11 1/2'  2-6 oz.  This rod seems to be perfect for all of my needs, but I think I would rather have an 11' rod, so the Lamiglas 3rd Generation now has me re-thinking.  (ODM does not make the Fontier-X in an 11'....only 10 1/2' and 11 1/2')

I would "greatly appreciate" any first hand experience with either:

(1)  Lamiglas 3rd Generation (11' 2-5oz); or

(2) ODM Frontier-X (11 1/2'  2-6 oz) 

Thanks a bunch in advance to anyone who replies!!

Rob

I recommend you go to the next rissa saltwater show in providence.  Not until the winter.  There will be every rod you would want to handle. 

Top runners:

Century Surf Machine 

Odm Nex1

Not every rod will excel in everything..

What someone else likes or uses or recommends might not be a fit for you...

Best to look at everything...

troll #122  <*)))<

Hi RR Bridge Fisher,

Thanks for the reply and solid advise/opinion!  I was thinking the same thing as going to the RISSA show would be optimal.  I did go last winter and to tell you the truth thought the selection of rod vendors was "very thin" ---Lamiglas was not even there amongst many others.  Still better than  a single tackle shop but definitely not like past years IMO.

Actually--the RISSA show is where I stumbled onto the the ODM Frontier X 11.5' 2-6 oz.   I actually high sticked the rod and the vendor bent the tip to the floor!!  2X !   I couldn't believe it didn't blow up.   That's when that rod moved to my top choice---it's the 11.5 v 11' that made me hesitate then came across the Lami 3G  11'

Keep the ideas coming....

From 1.5 oz. to 4.25 oz. is a stretch. I have not handled either of the rods mentioned, but I am a bit skeptical that any one rod can cover that wide a range, and I'm skeptical that a rod that casts a 1.5 oz YoZuri well has the action needed for a 4.25 oz pencil.

I own a 10’ Infinity 2-5 and when I last spoke to someone from Lamiglas I was told that it’s meant to be a very similar rod. I can’t speak specifically on the 3G, but the infinity throws SP minnows all the way up to 5 ounces just fine. Can’t recall if I’ve thrown 6, though.

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

Thanks for the replies guys.  Very helpful but wish someone on here has first hand experience with either the Lami 3G or the Frontier x described above.

Noteworthy here though—I have rocketed a 1.5 SP with my ODM JIGSTER then tied on a 6 oz AL Gag jig and rocketed that too with the same rod.  Amazing.  Just gets a little heavy for plugging and a bit tiring for pencils…works but tiring so looking for a dedicated canal/beach plug rod

Not the same but I have an 1 st gen SuperSurf 1202 MH.

It doesn’t even load under 2 oz. and will do over 4-5 oz. NP.

Unless you go for the surf machine you will be more than likely needing 2 rods.

If you liked the Frontier X, why not cut 6” off the back if you want 11’ or reach out to AF Mike for a custom.

I've always preferred two rods for the canal. A dedicated rod for jigging and another for plugging, however, bringing two isn't always ideal.

I don't know of a blank that's truly ideal for both, I think you either have a plugging rod that can 'handle' some bigger jigs or a jigging rod that can load and work some lighter stuff.

Also, I think there's two types of jigging. Casting 3-5oz paddle tails and swimming them back or truly painting the bottom with big jigs and long drifts. 

With all that said, the new Super Surf 3G 11' 2-5oz would be a 'plugging rod' that can handle 3-4.5oz jigs. It's definitely mod/fast compared to some of the others blanks in the series. Fast taper and snappier then the 1pc version. Personally, I love it for soft plastics outside of the canal. However, I fished it in the canal and perfect for pencils and minnow plugs like Colt Snipers. 

Considering the opening of your post "great plugging rod for canal and area beaches", this rod might be ideal for you.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:59 AM, town said:

I've always preferred two rods for the canal. A dedicated rod for jigging and another for plugging, however, bringing two isn't always ideal.

I don't know of a blank that's truly ideal for both, I think you either have a plugging rod that can 'handle' some bigger jigs or a jigging rod that can load and work some lighter stuff.

Also, I think there's two types of jigging. Casting 3-5oz paddle tails and swimming them back or truly painting the bottom with big jigs and long drifts. 

With all that said, the new Super Surf 3G 11' 2-5oz would be a 'plugging rod' that can handle 3-4.5oz jigs. It's definitely mod/fast compared to some of the others blanks in the series. Fast taper and snappier then the 1pc version. Personally, I love it for soft plastics outside of the canal. However, I fished it in the canal and perfect for pencils and minnow plugs like Colt Snipers. 

Considering the opening of your post "great plugging rod for canal and area beaches", this rod might be ideal for you.

With the first paragraph, I agree. I'm very skeptical of do-it-all rod claims.

For my $0.02, if you want to try for a really do-it-all rod, you're going to need a GOOD custom builder. Such a  builder will get more from a given blank than anyone else.

Ive used the new supersurf. it’s a nice rod. similar action to a gsb just crisper. more moderate than the 2g. i just prefer a 1 piece rod and they dknt make the model i would used in a 1 piece. i think the guides are kinda cheap looking too. 

Hi Everyone--thanks so much for the great conversation and information here!  

Town--thanks for the "first hand experience with the Lami 3G" at the canal.   Appreciated greatly your comment:   "Considering the opening of your post "great plugging rod for canal and area beaches", this rod might be ideal for you. !!

I'm going to Red Top this weekend to take a close look at the 11' 2-5 3G and see how it feels.  Agree though that it really is best to have a jigging rod and plugging rod at the canal--pain to carry both that's for sure.  When on foot--I'd just carry my Jigster (does all--not perfect, but all)--but with my ebike it's easier to carry two rods--Jigster and 3G?.  I so wish I could take a few casts with a 3G with a Pencil popper to see how easy it works them though--the jigster does it but it is more work than I like because it's a faster rod.

Keep em coming.....

Rob

MEF--thanks for chiming in here too--ya I was wondering about the guides too--they look funny in the pics that I have seen, but they are Titanium which is the best IMO and lightweight.  Should make the rod fee a lot lighter.

I will say too that the blank itself looks to have a "beefy diameter" on the lower portion of the rod (first few feet above the grip); but could be just the pics I have seen.  Hoping it feels lighter than it looks.

Rob