Jump to content

Abandoned boat washed up in Breezy Point

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

The fact that there is no sign of either state (numbers) or federal (name) registration on the bow suggests that someone tried to strip any identifying marks and intentionally abandoned it.

 

Might be traced back to the owner through the hull number.  The relevant authorities will want someone to pay the costs of removal.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

The fact that there is no sign of either state (numbers) or federal (name) registration on the bow suggests that someone tried to strip any identifying marks and intentionally abandoned it.

 

Might be traced back to the owner through the hull number.  The relevant authorities will want someone to pay the costs of removal.

My last CG Documented boat (30’ sold in 2020) didn’t require any bow markings, just a name and home port location on the transom. Have they changed that in the last few years ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 mins ago, yooVinny said:

My last CG Documented boat (30’ sold in 2020) didn’t require any bow markings, just a name and home port location on the transom. Have they changed that in the last few years ?

You got me curious, so I Googled the issue.  Although I didn't wade through the federal regulations, I found this on the Boat US page:

 

Placement & Additional Requirements

  • The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
  • Many recreational vessels will place the vessel name and hailing port on the stern, and vessel name on both sides of the bow, which is required for a commercial vessel. Although not required for a recreational vessel, this is an acceptable option.
  • The above requirement for vessel name and hailing port to be clearly visible may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull.
  • When dinghy’s are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the vessel's name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only.
  • Stenciling on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking.
  • Federal Vessel Documentation is a federal issue and is not open to enforcement or interpretation by the state.
So, assuming that Boat US is right, you are correct that the vessel name need not appear on the bow for a recreational vessel like the one in the original poster's photo.  My thought that a registered vessel's name must be on the bow would apply to commercial vessels, but was not correct if a boat was purely recreational.  
 
So unless the boat in the photo was used to carry passengers for hire or some other commercial purpose, it would not need its name on the bow.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are three boats and a small barge on the local beaches. That one in the picture has been on the federal property for about 1 month. Another "working boat" is on the Breezy Point Cooperative property. It's known who owns it but nothing is going on. It's accompanied by a small barge of some type. There is also a 30-35' sailboat on the bay beach, federal property, with all markings removed. It's been there since October 2023. Is there a penalty for dumping a boat / abandoning a boat at sea ?

 

Edited by JoeGBreezy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

There are three boats and a small barge on the local beaches. That one in the picture has been on the federal property for about 1 month. Another "working boat" is on the Breezy Point Cooperative property. It's known who owns it but nothing is going on. It's accompanied by a small barge of some type. There is also a 30-35' sailboat on the bay beach, federal property, with all markings removed. It's been there since October 2023. Is there a penalty for dumping a boat / abandoning a boat at sea ?

 

The issue in NYC/Jamaica Bay is there isn’t really one agency responsible for handling these washed up boats or large marine debris. The problem gets kicked around the yard until someone makes a big enough fuss about it, like a local representative of sorts. Its expensive to recover the stranded vessels and properly dispose of them so nobody wants to have to write that check.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hairyfishhead said:

The issue in NYC/Jamaica Bay is there isn’t really one agency responsible for handling these washed up boats or large marine debris. The problem gets kicked around the yard until someone makes a big enough fuss about it, like a local representative of sorts. Its expensive to recover the stranded vessels and properly dispose of them so nobody wants to have to write that check.

Easy enough to find previous owners and send summonses to the house and keep sending them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...