M/ML 8’ Surf Rod

Rate this topic

HYB_Living

I know this topic has come up quite a few times and I’ve probably pestered a few folks on here throughout the years on this but I just haven’t been completely convinced on what I see in person at local shops (I like wiggling the rod around with the reel before I purchase) and thought I’d expand my search. This rod isn’t intended to be used to target bass by any means yet more of a hot weather walk the beach rod throwing bucktails, soft plastics and tins from 1/4-3/8 - 1oz max on the surf for Spanish Mack’s, fluke, bonito and whatever else may bite with the small offerings around LI. I’ve narrowed down a few options that will be paired with a VR50 10/15lb braid that I already own

Budget is around $200

8’ Light Inshore 1/2-2 Blackhole Suzuki 

(definitely a strong contender)

8’6” UL Blackhole Suzuki (heard it doesn’t fit the VR50)

8’ Jigging World Onyx 1/2 - 1.5 (heard some mixed reviews)

8’6” Okuma Rockaway SP (another strong contender for the under 1/2oz loads)

8’ ODM DNA (long butt end for this type of fishing)

Really open to any suggestions from personal experiences 

Black hole and odm are great rods but u might be over budget. You’re probably in the jigging, world and tsunami price range. They both make great rods in your budget 

Edited by Steve_M

23 mins ago, Steve_M said:

Black hole and odm are great rods but u Ishtar be over budget. You’re probably in the jigging, world and tsunami price range. They both make great rods in your budget 

I’d make the jump up in price if its worth it, I’ve been screwed over buying cheaper tackle way too often to not shell out the extra $100 on something that’s worth it and skip the headaches 

Id look into salmon/steelhead rods. A lot of reputable rod companies make them and they have the length and ratings for what you’re describing. Theres plenty of solid options in the 2-300$ range. 

11 mins ago, Chuckbull said:

Id look into salmon/steelhead rods. A lot of reputable rod companies make them and they have the length and ratings for what you’re describing. Theres plenty of solid options in the 2-300$ range. 

I’ve heard this before, wouldn’t even know where to look in regards to a SS rod. I’m sure it’s a rabbit hole of other possibilities. Any specific ones that many like using in the NE salt?

Just now, HYB_Living said:

I’ve heard this before, wouldn’t even know where to look in regards to a SS rod. I’m sure it’s a rabbit hole of other possibilities. Any specific ones that many like using in the NE salt?

Beats me lol. I’ve never gone that route. I know g. Loomis, st. croix, lamiglas, fenwick and a few others make them. I’m sure all are fine in the salt and they’re all great rod makers 

Like we spoke about this before

1 hour ago, HYB_Living said:

For anything around +/- 1/2oz I use SP M rated 1/4 to 5/8 oz.

Great rod for a great price..

Probably best rod for the $$$

LOL

Waiting for @EricDice to respond to my comment

Rockaway SP, 001.jpg

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

10 hours ago, HYB_Living said:

I know this topic has come up quite a few times and I’ve probably pestered a few folks on here throughout the years on this but I just haven’t been completely convinced on what I see in person at local shops (I like wiggling the rod around with the reel before I purchase) and thought I’d expand my search. This rod isn’t intended to be used to target bass by any means yet more of a hot weather walk the beach rod throwing bucktails, soft plastics and tins from 1/4-3/8 - 1oz max on the surf for Spanish Mack’s, fluke, bonito and whatever else may bite with the small offerings around LI. I’ve narrowed down a few options that will be paired with a VR50 10/15lb braid that I already own

Budget is around $200

8’ Light Inshore 1/2-2 Blackhole Suzuki 

(definitely a strong contender)

8’6” UL Blackhole Suzuki (heard it doesn’t fit the VR50)

8’ Jigging World Onyx 1/2 - 1.5 (heard some mixed reviews)

8’ ODM DNA (long butt end for this type of fishing)

Really open to any suggestions from personal experiences 

I really really LOVE 8ft fishing rods and have experience with every rod you listed except the Okuma and then some. But to do the lightweight deal fully I suggest using two rods, one 7'6",  1/4-1 1/2 range and an 8ftr rated 1/2oz to 2oz. I use the the 7'6" Weapon Junior and the 8ft DNA Genesis. I've used the 8'6" Suzuki UL II and broke it twice inspite of being careful...way to fragile for surf IMO. The Blackhole inshore is very similiar to the Suzuki Special but lighter: there are better choices. Jigging world knocks off Blackhole entry level rods so look elsewhere is my advice. The ODM DNA is a great rod....it lasted a few years, casts the lower range OK but excels at one ounce.  You need a fast action and a moderate action 8ft rod to cast all tyoes of lures efficiently, but either the Genesis ot the DNA will cover you adequately.

14 mins ago, petespeak said:

I really really LOVE 8ft fishing rods and have experience with every rod you listed except the Okuma and then some. But to do the lightweight deal fully I suggest using two rods, one 7'6",  1/4-1 1/2 range and an 8ftr rated 1/2oz to 2oz. I use the the 7'6" Weapon Junior and the 8ft DNA Genesis. I've used the 8'6" Suzuki UL II and broke it twice inspite of being careful...way to fragile for surf IMO. The Blackhole inshore is very similiar to the Suzuki Special but lighter: there are better choices. Jigging world knocks off Blackhole entry level rods so look elsewhere is my advice. The ODM DNA is a great rod....it lasted a few years, casts the lower range OK but excels at one ounce.  You need a fast action and a moderate action 8ft rod to cast all tyoes of lures efficiently, but either the Genesis ot the DNA will cover you adequately.

I’m glad to see someone else really into these lighter surf rods like myself yet I haven’t been able to pinpoint one that I really love just yet. And I think you helped confirm my suspicion that I need 2 rods in the 7’6” range and then the 8’ range to cover a few bases. Do you know of any alternatives that you’ve used to the weapon jr? I’d love to own one one day but a bit out of my price range 

My Jigging world ML 8ft Onyx 50/50 split lives in the back seat of my truck in case I ever get the itch. Have caught blues, stripers, fluke in the salt and large mouth and trout in the fresh. Throws light really well and can get into heavier 2oz without issue. For $100 paired with a $50 reel, I don’t worry too much about it being seen. Works on the surf, jetties, ponds, and boat/kayak. It’s a slower action than others which I like the casting feedback over faster actions or for slow pitch jigging. Only issue is one of the ceramic inserts popped off but since replacing hasn’t been an issue.

4 mins ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I love my 8’ Suzuki UL surf rod - it should handle the weight range you mention   I pair mine with a 2500 reel

Is that the inshore special 8’? I always get mixed up with the that the UL when they get mentioned