Bald Eagles the American Symbol

Rate this topic

Saw my 3rd one ever today but this time it was being harassed by a Raven, air to air combat and then they eagle dipped and landed on the road and then off to someone’s lawn… holy fookshyts they are some big birds up close

Cool hell to see, yeah I know Alaska they are as common as seagulls but man what a amazing creature 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

37 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Fun fact it was originally the turkey. I see both all the time 

Turkeys I see all over bald eagles not so much 

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Bald Eagles, our National Symbol.

Turkeys were rejected.

Turkeys are on every menu and on every dinner table on Thanksgiving while the Bald Eagle was on the endangered species list and still on the protected species list. 

Proof that if you want to protect a bird, don't put it on the endangered species list. Put it on the menu.

6 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

Fun fact it was originally the turkey. I see both all the time 

Was never the turkey, but Franklin wanted it to be our National symbol. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

After never seeing one for 44 years, it’s almost a daily occurrence now. 

I’ve heard that if they’re getting hassled by another bird, they simply fly up to altitudes that their pursuer can’t handle. 

I had on come down like a meteor and grab a fish not ten feet off my stern last summer. Scared the crap outta me. 

1 hour ago, 2sammich said:

Plenty of eagles here in pike county pa. I saw an eagle here knock a duck right out of the sky, right into the lake. Eagle came down, and swam the duck to the shore where it proceeded to RIP it apart. 

Remember that one that flew right over us at the ice fling.... 

10 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Saw my 3rd one ever today

I'm surprised you don't see more around the camp, no water? 

I see them on a pretty much daily basis around my house, there's a nest on an island a couple hundred yards behind the house, still very impressive birds. 

3 hours ago, Rocky_Point_Charlie said:

After never seeing one for 44 years, it’s almost a daily occurrence now. 

I’ve heard that if they’re getting hassled by another bird, they simply fly up to altitudes that their pursuer can’t handle. 

I had on come down like a meteor and grab a fish not ten feet off my stern last summer. Scared the crap outta me. 

I see a lot of Hawks, Falcons, Ospreys, Turkey Vultures... are everywhere but the few times now i've seen Bald Eagles in awe inspiring, and for this one to just land onto the road was a WTF? 

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

13 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Saw my 3rd one ever today but this time it was being harassed by a Raven, air to air combat and then they eagle dipped and landed on the road and then off to someone’s lawn… holy fookshyts they are some big birds up close

Cool hell to see, yeah I know Alaska they are as common as seagulls but man what a amazing creature 

Wow, not knocking you, but only three??? Thankfully, they have gotten to be pretty common down here on the Eastern Shore, especially late winter through early summer. When farmers spread chicken manure on the fields in early spring, I see them daily on my commute. Most I saw in one field was 15, but it's common to see three or four on a regular basis. This guy was having breakfast one morning on the side of the road and wasn't phased at all by my truck, stopping, and taking a few pics.

ee.jpg

Edited by JAL