Replacing my old wooden fence

Rate this topic

bob_G

My old wooden fence has seen better days.  20 years old. Was sold as cedar, but was actually spruce.:(

The 4x4" pressure treated posts are solid.   Seven (7) 6'x8' panels with a gate. 60'

What's this job worth?  Guys say it's a one day job.  Prices ranging from $4800 to almost $6000.  Most guys Insist on replacing the posts.  

But this seems like an outrageous amount of $$$ for a days work.  I mean, it's not like they have to go out and cut down the trees and mill the wood.  Cedar panels are $125 each.

Thoughts?

The Sultan of Sluggo

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

My old wooden fence has seen better days.  20 years old. Was sold as cedar, but was actually spruce.:(

The 4x4" pressure treated posts are solid.   Seven (7) 6'x8' panels with a gate. 60'

What's this job worth?  Guys say it's a one day job.  Prices ranging from $4800 to almost $6000.  Most guys Insist on replacing the posts.  

But this seems like an outrageous amount of $$$ for a days work.  I mean, it's not like they have to go out and cut down the trees and mill the wood.  Cedar panels are $125 each.

Thoughts?

keep those posts. They don't make pt like they did back then anymore. The new pt nowadays is crap. Fence guys are always high on there prices imo. 

19 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thoughts?

kep the posts and replace the panels with plastic.

do it yourself if you can not ,play a contractor,find the material,go to school and get few guys to install that,they may know what they are doing if not you have to baby sit them.

do not pay them by hour,pay them by the job.

So what are you replacing the bad fence sections with?  Are you going with pressure treated wood?  If so, then why hire someone to do this, especially if your keeping your existing posts?  6 nails per section to hold them in place.  Pretty easy DIY project.  How is this a $4k-$6K project?  What am I missing??

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

How is this a $4k-$6K project?  What am I missing??

This is what I'm wondering, what am I missing?  The cedar panels are readily available everywhere for around $120 each. Cedar gate, $200 bucks.  Total $1040, plus a few nails.

$4000-5000 grand for a days work? Maybe a half day's work?:huh:     No DIY for me.  My back is shot, plus I know my limits. Ive never been good at DIY.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Bob....sorry about your back....I understand physical limitations come into play...and that you dont feel capable of doing it yourself...and I dont think the price is justifiable but.........Ive been a carpenter for over fifty years....in business myself for lot of those years, running a legitimate contracting business is the least rewarding thing ive ever done.  People seem to think this work is quite simple to do......it never is. Every home owner should at least try to do some things themselves....they will learn through trial and error as I did...... and that the prices contractors charge is largely inflated by overhead costs that would surprise you.  The general public has no clue about that aspect.

Posted (edited)

So, is it impossible to replace the fence without removing and replacing all the fence poles?

The poles that are in place are rock solid, and immovable. The few guys I've spoken with insist on pulling them out and replacing them with new ones they'll supply.   

Discarding something that perfectly viable just goes against my common sense.

IMG_20240602_184812.jpg

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

^^ 2 good laborers for the day cash, and the tools and hardware ready after having the sections delivered. Leave the posts. Treat the Mrs to a vacation w/ money saved. 

I'll ignore your cheap aroma,

and your little-bo-peep diploma,

I'll just put you in a coma,

with some dirty love-

I can understand why they want to replace the posts. If they were rotting below the soil and they put new fencing on it, they could suffer business damage if you wrote them a bad review cause you were pissed when your fence fell over. Also understand about overhead, like insurance, tools, SS/medicare (x 2 if they are self employed), health insurance, etc. Plus they have to order it, load it on their trucks, transport it, unload it, install it with new hardware. Plus work around any weather. My son, who's a carpenter, charged me 500 to put a plastic gate up on my back porch so I could let the dog out without her becoming coyote poop. Gate was 300, hardware another 50. For a friggin 4 ft tall plastic gate.

If there's a vo-tech school near you, you might try calling the carpentry teacher (that is, if they still teach that. Some have dropped that course if you can believe it) and see if you could get a couple of his good students to do it. They're usually pretty well supervised and it might save you some money. 

2 hours ago, phishallways said:

^^ 2 good laborers for the day cash, and the tools and hardware ready after having the sections delivered. Leave the posts. Treat the Mrs to a vacation w/ money saved. 

1 hour ago, Good2Go said:

I can understand why they want to replace the posts. If they were rotting below the soil and they put new fencing on it, they could suffer business damage if you wrote them a bad review cause you were pissed when your fence fell over. Also understand about overhead, like insurance, tools, SS/medicare (x 2 if they are self employed), health insurance, etc. Plus they have to order it, load it on their trucks, transport it, unload it, install it with new hardware. Plus work around any weather. My son, who's a carpenter, charged me 500 to put a plastic gate up on my back porch so I could let the dog out without her becoming coyote poop. Gate was 300, hardware another 50. For a friggin 4 ft tall plastic gate.

If there's a vo-tech school near you, you might try calling the carpentry teacher (that is, if they still teach that. Some have dropped that course if you can believe it) and see if you could get a couple of his good students to do it. They're usually pretty well supervised and it might save you some money. 

Both excellent points.

I was in business for over 20 years, and I guess I overlooked that.  

Another thing I overlooked was, I've been calling fence contractors, and asking them to more or less repair my old fence.  These guys are in the business of installing and replacing.  Not repairing someone else's work.

I think Id best be served by hiring a competent handyman.   Buying everything myself and having it delivered, then paying him to install it.    

I don't really care about a warranty on an old fence.  I just want it repaired, and then move on with my life.

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 6/3/2024 at 7:23 PM, bob_G said:

Thoughts?

Unfortunately you get cape cod prices. Nothing you can do about that. Be thankful you are not on the vineyard.  

With these prices don't overlook insurance, tools bought, truck, gas, and labor. 

Most guys don't want to work these days so contractors are having a hard time finding competent help. 

A good fence guy could bang that out for sure. I know one in your area.  Not sure he would want to do that type of job...

troll #122  <*)))<

I bought a retractable awning 10 or so years ago at a discount contractor place.  4 or 5 hundred. 

The material is tearing. 

I can't find any places around here that sell them anymore. 

There was a small add in a flyer for an awning place. 

4-5 thousand for a new awning.  12 -14 hundred to repair mine. 

troll #122  <*)))<