New SUV question

Thinking about getting a new SUV. Been driving a 2010 Ford Explorer and it is getting haggard. I just started looking at a new Explorer, but also the Nissan Pathfinder. Does anyone have any opinions on these vehicles. Thanks.

I think both of them went to front wheel drive. If so , don't get them. All whl drive don't cut it very well on the beach sand. Check there ground clearance. If either one is rear wheel drive , that's ok, but still check the GC. Stay away from the turbo's ,  Fords , I do not care for. The new Exploder isn't as good as the 2010 you had. that was a real truck. Plus Ford has had trouble with there auto trans, 8 spd or the 10 spd. Nissan , well since Renualt bought them , there quality has gone down, None of the new Nissan's are like the old Extera. That was a  beach machine.  I have had Jeeps, have one now, not that there without sin, but they had and still have , at least on my Gladiator real 4 x 4 system 2 hi, 4 hi and 4 low. Mine isn't electric, I manualy put it in 4 whl dr. Heck a Pick up would be better . It's just my opinion, 34 years in the auto business. I'm not downing them , I just hate to see someone get a cross over car that they call a SUV. There will be many opinins on this subject. Good luck,:popcorn:

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

I would not go with the Pathfinder unless it is an older one. I think the last real good one for offroad would be the R51/third gen (2005-2012, and ideally the 2008-2012). After that they turned into unibody construction and lost almost all their offroad capability (i.e. no longer easy to have diff locks, suspension/clearance issues, CVTs, and smaller engines with turbos that are horrible for offroad, etc.).

About the only thing I would really, truly recommend new would be a bronco (and even then, it's longevity is not tested, so it might be a junker in 4 years...). The current jeeps are all completely overpriced since they are trying to rebrand as a luxury brand, as if somehow just saying it is now luxury it will command a $20k price increase like they have tried to do. Toyota 4Runner is a 4 cylinder turbo = horrible gas mileage for towing, horrible torque for when at rest, and need for lots of air filtration for the engine due to the turbo's boosting the air intake when on sand/dirt (same problems with the Toyota Land Cruiser, and/or it is a hybrid which shouldn't be within 1000' of salt water, as the electric motors and battery systems are landmines with saltwater). Best bet is to get a 2024 4Runner TRD before you can't (already slim pickings as they have been in-demand), as it is a tried true platform and should last 10 years or more with proper maintenance. Also, all the 6 cylinder+turbo engine trucks/SUV's from Toyota are imploding (lots of recalls for "contamination from manufacturing", but it really wouldn't matter if it came from manufacturing or not since the bearing that is blowing up is under too much force if you ask any engine mechanic and would still blow up over time due to load from the high pressures the new engine is using). All in the name of fleet fuel economy from Toyota, even when they didn't need to do this from my understanding to meet rules regulations, they did it anyway and all the engines are suffering because a big vehicle designed to also tow loads needs a big engine with high torque at low RPM, not some high RPM turbo performance engine more suitable for a racetrack.

Edited by FallenKell

Yes the Jeeps are over priced, but unlike Ford and Toyota , Jeep is knocking big discounts off the Jeeps. I just leased a Gladiator , My 2012 Jeep Liberty started dimeing me to death. They knocked $ 8300 of the Glad and gave me great money for the trade with a lot of problems with it. Deals can be made. The resale  on a Wrangler or a Glad will be very high in 4 to 5 years. Not so on the Bronco. While on the Bronco, Stay away from the sport, It's a 3 cyl turbo, loads of problems. The big and real bronco is ok, but the prices for one with the same options as my Jeep sell for more money. Get what you want, but like I said , for the beach get a real  4 x 4 system.

I had a VW touareg TDI which was the best car I have ever owned until the Feds screwed up emissions remissions system so it was unreliable. Talk about torque and mileage, unbelievable.  Drove it to FL 1500 miles on 50 gallons of fuel.

To be honest this is why I have not done anything about getting a new SUV. It seems that every time I get close to a decision, I get real Insite into problems with the vehicle. I do not want a truck, at 70 I prefer a smoother ride. Luckily my Explorer has only 67000. miles on it so maybe it will last long enough until one of these car companies comes out with a vehicle that suits my purposes. Thanks for all the replies, it always helps when guys with experience give you honest opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 8:38 AM, horsefly said:

To be honest this is why I have not done anything about getting a new SUV. It seems that every time I get close to a decision, I get real Insite into problems with the vehicle. I do not want a truck, at 70 I prefer a smoother ride. Luckily my Explorer has only 67000. miles on it so maybe it will last long enough until one of these car companies comes out with a vehicle that suits my purposes. Thanks for all the replies, it always helps when guys with experience give you honest opinions.

I agree, every time I look at something different. I find something I don't like, Thought 4 runner tho pricey was what I would like but it's a 4 Cyl Turbo now along w/Tacoma. Not happening, I used to be a big bowtie guy and looked at a Colorado, yup turbo too. 

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

I am at the point where I am just going to keep my Explorer and see what happens. Thanks for all the input. Who knows it may last longer than me.

Your exploder is a great surf truck. Run it till it won't run anymore. Tight lines.