10-12 oz spinning surf rod

Rate this topic

kevbo1756

Its definitely outside the price range (~$440), but I have seen a 11' Black Diamond Phenix Surf Spinning rod SX-S 1108-2 rated 3-10oz and 30-80lb braid (I personally have the 10'6" 2-6oz and the 13' 6-12oz). Not too many shops in NJ carry sharking rods. Some of the "8 and Bait" guys from OBX may have some cheaper rod options that will handle the heavier bait and heavy shark.

Throughout the summer I’ve typically been able to get away with 3-5oz depending on the strength of the tide maybe touching 6 on rougher days. Combine that with a bunker head or large cut bait and you’re easily in the 7-10oz range even on calm days. Anywho I’d recommend the tsunami airwave elite 12’ XXH. Tosses 8oz like it’s nothing paired with a 8500 reel makes a killer spinning shark setup. Should fall right in your price range just not the easiest rod to get your hands on, went from tackle shop to tackle shop and found 1 an owner didn’t even know he had in stock 

Edited by HYB_Living

I’ll definitely vouch for all the above comments, about learning to throw a revolving reel. Nice to have a little winch on that 12’ stick too.

This would also enable you to go to mono line, if you decided to go that route as well.

One important thing when casting heavy leads with  spinning reels, make sure your drag is locked down!  I’ve had that braid cut right through heavy gloves when casting and the drag slipped. A casting cannon is definitely your friend, as Gene said, if you’re going to stick with the fixed spool reels and braid.

I also vote for the BPS Oceanmaster heavy.  It will throw a brick. Got one that’s been abused for 15? odd years.  Still going strong. I still using it for the random night bait short trips. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

• 3 weeks later...

If you run a decent length shock leader, which you probably are anyhow for sharking to avoid rub offs, heaving with a spinner is not really a big deal because you finger is only holding 80+# mono or fluoro. Tightening the drag before the cast is important for sure. My experiment with a casting cannon was very underwhelming.