Banana Plugs

Rate this topic

Punch63

On 6/2/2024 at 7:02 PM, Punch63 said:

Can someone explain the Banana craze to me for what seems like the past year on this forum. Granted I never attempted to build

one, but building a Banana plug is way down on my list of something to build

Years ago when I first started my plug obsession I was very intrigued by them. Always hoped to get an original jack frech. 

I read the articles and always thought that they were very cool.

I got 1 "kit" and a couple copies of the banana plug.

I cannot see using this as an everyday plug.

troll #122  <*)))<

On 6/2/2024 at 8:18 PM, TopStriperAngler said:

It would be nice to see a video of one being swum too. Have always wondered on that. 

I have asked and asked for a swim video… I’m still waiting! 

I actually a banana plug for sale at a fishing show, - but the plug maker stuck a lip on it (I thought about doing this too!) and he said it’s the only way to make them swim good! 

I can't speak for anyone else, but the allure for me with the banana was the relative uniqueness and obscurity of the plug itself, the challenge of getting the build figured out, figuring out how to fish them and in the end that they are just fun to fish as well as being another tool in the bag that can have the right time and place to be applied. I don't think that they are anything magic or really much more effective than other plugs, but then again, there have been times that they have seemingly been the only ticket to the fish. Right time, right place, right plug, just like any other plug, jig, fly, rubber, live eel whatever scenario where you can usually catch a fish on multiple offerings but there's also usually one that does the trick better at the time. 

I see them as  nothing but the flavor of the year. Every years it’s something else. Magic swimmers, Pikies, Trollers, etc…. Every year one gets popular and then guys move on. For me I enjoyed making them because they were fun and enjoyed fishing them which i had been doing  for a few years before I started making them but I don’t see them taking over the plug fishing scene. 

what's the secret word for tonight

On 6/10/2024 at 10:17 PM, Mr.Belmar said:

but the plug maker stuck a lip on it (I thought about doing this too!) and he said it’s the only way to make them swim good! 

his opinion which i don’t agree with. 

On 6/7/2024 at 9:07 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I cannot see using this as an everyday plug.

me either. right place right time plug. but if your in the right place and right time its impressive. 

On 6/11/2024 at 3:59 PM, 1VW said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but the allure for me with the banana was the relative uniqueness and obscurity of the plug itself, the challenge of getting the build figured out, figuring out how to fish them and in the end that they are just fun to fish as well as being another tool in the bag that can have the right time and place to be applied. I don't think that they are anything magic or really much more effective than other plugs, but then again, there have been times that they have seemingly been the only ticket to the fish. Right time, right place, right plug, just like any other plug, jig, fly, rubber, live eel whatever scenario where you can usually catch a fish on multiple offerings but there's also usually one that does the trick better at the time. 

My thoughts exactly....

Does anyone sink banana plugs? I was told by someone that knew Jack and had originals that they sunk and fluttered a certain way(I think he said like a penny)?

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

there's  a lot of plugs out there that don't have lips and it doesn't mean they can't swim..needles don't have lips.... and the  bananas are tuned to float with their backs level with the top of the water not sink like a stone....so much wrong information floating around out there it's not funny...buy one and learn to fish it  on your own to see what looks good an what doesn't

Ive made a couple gliders that are made from board so don't have hardly any of the banana shape side to side but profile is similar to banana. Sort of like a sailboat hull profile. They ride up at surface very easily. I think the upside down wing shape that's flat on top and curved on bottom produces a surface running plug. Whereas a regular wing shape will stay under a bit more or a lot more depend on weighting. Therefore I think the banana is a surface running plug. 

• 4 weeks later...

My thoughts on the banana plugs that I have ! I consider it a do nothing plug comes straight in . You can give it some action but to me it’s not a natural look. If the banana was a fish catching lure everyone would want one it’s not! Some guys make them work but there are many better options .