June 2024 Reports Thread

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, JimK said:

I very rarely throw anything other than plugs. Gave it a shot with bugs yesterday evening. I caught a sundial and had what was probably a bass pick one up and run with it, but I didn’t connect. Fishing with those bugs isn’t as easy as it sounds. I’ll probably give it another shot later today if work doesn’t interfere. Went out again a little later after sundown and picked up this skinny little guy and short fluke. Both of those came on black mambo minnows.IMG_1548.jpeg.a800e833aabbc2b3d23f94353938fc74.jpeg

Judging from the size, it must have been one hell of a fight!

21 hours ago, Loudog said:

Quick outing with the salty six fly rod in SoMoCo from 5:45 - 7:00pm.  Threw a small fur clouserish and mole crab fly.  Clean incoming water with a steady south wind.  Not a touch, but a great evening nonetheless.

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

Now this is a nice change of pace! A hand shot without a hook partially imbedded and blood pouring out!

29 mins ago, nam1969 said:

I didn't fish today. Instead, I was part of a ceremony that interred 18 veterans and 1 spouse at the state's veterans' cemetery. They were buried with full military honors.

My veteran's organization, Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 12, locates, identifies, verifies, and takes possession of abandoned cremains (cremated remains) that have been sitting on funeral parlor shelves for years. Under a state law, we are permitted to contact funeral parlors and, if they are willing, go into basements of their businesses and inventory abandoned remains. After proper and thorough investigation and corroboration we take possession of cremains of veterans and temporarily store them in a locked facility, provided to us at the Monmouth County Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff and our Cremains Committee coordinate a date for burial with the state authorities and work through the Sheriff's Veterans Advisory Committee for the funeral procession to the cemetery. To date we have buried 179 and returned an additional 30 sets of remains to families we were able to locate. Some cremains have sat on funeral parlor shelves for over 50 years. Of the 18 buried today, 7 were from WWl, 8 from WWll, and 3 from Vietnam.

This is not a fishing report. It's the reason I didn't fish today. It was my privilege to see my comrades buried with full military honors, no longer resting on a dusty basement shelf. 

Thank you for your service and thank you for finding closure for those who made the ultimate sacrifice. 

"Here we go again, folks... Omega loading up on bunker in federal waters right off Monmouth county NJ. Two ships, the Windmill Point and Smugglers Point and spotter plane in action. So much for the whale watching and bass fishing... note that red "X" indicates net set locations"

bunkernet.1.jpg

(*member formerly known as 'Mr. Bigdeal')

17 hours ago, nam1969 said:

I didn't fish today. Instead, I was part of a ceremony that interred 18 veterans and 1 spouse at the state's veterans' cemetery. They were buried with full military honors.

My veteran's organization, Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 12, locates, identifies, verifies, and takes possession of abandoned cremains (cremated remains) that have been sitting on funeral parlor shelves for years. Under a state law, we are permitted to contact funeral parlors and, if they are willing, go into basements of their businesses and inventory abandoned remains. After proper and thorough investigation and corroboration we take possession of cremains of veterans and temporarily store them in a locked facility, provided to us at the Monmouth County Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff and our Cremains Committee coordinate a date for burial with the state authorities and work through the Sheriff's Veterans Advisory Committee for the funeral procession to the cemetery. To date we have buried 179 and returned an additional 30 sets of remains to families we were able to locate. Some cremains have sat on funeral parlor shelves for over 50 years. Of the 18 buried today, 7 were from WWl, 8 from WWll, and 3 from Vietnam.

This is not a fishing report. It's the reason I didn't fish today. It was my privilege to see my comrades buried with full military honors, no longer resting on a dusty basement shelf. 

Hat off to you sir. That is a noble heartfelt thing to do. Brings a tear to my eyes, thinking that their remains sitting there on a shelf. I had no clue.