June 2024 Reports Thread

Rate this topic

Quick trip down to one of my favorite spots from 6 to 7:15 pm. Fairly flat conditions with dying west wind. Dug some bugs and found one spot between two jetties that had some current, although minimal, Incoming tide  ( I prefer outgoing). Picked up one striper, slot size. He hit pretty hard and was a feisty little guy. Talked to 2 guys that were plugging, with no success. Nice day to be on the beach.

This will make a lot of people unhappy but maybe it is time to make the use of sand spikes illegal. I see a lot of people using multiple rods when bait fishing instead of holding the rod to feel the pick up. Gives the fish more time to swallow the bait resulting in more gut hooked fish. As far as plug fishing goes, while an occasional fish swallows the plug, most seem to be hooked in the mouth, at least in my experience. Catch and release at least until the stocks rebound.

3 hours ago, Artie Fishil said:

This will make a lot of people unhappy but maybe it is time to make the use of sand spikes illegal. I see a lot of people using multiple rods when bait fishing instead of holding the rod to feel the pick up. Gives the fish more time to swallow the bait resulting in more gut hooked fish. As far as plug fishing goes, while an occasional fish swallows the plug, most seem to be hooked in the mouth, at least in my experience. Catch and release at least until the stocks rebound.

I want sand spikes to be illegal just so the mouth-breathers who put out 20 rods and claim 100 yards of beach to themselves stay home.  But yea sand spikes 30 feet away from where you're sitting are definitely going to promote gut hooking.  

As far as plugs go, ill go ahead and say it.  I've been entirely catch and release for more than a decade and in that time I've killed way more fish with plugs than any other sort of fishing, up to and including snag and drop.  Sometimes a big enough fish is gonna inhale the whole thing or they get themselves under the chin and rip some gill rakers out.  Just part of fishing. 

2 hours ago, bbfish said:

I want sand spikes to be illegal just so the mouth-breathers who put out 20 rods and claim 100 yards of beach to themselves stay home.  But yea sand spikes 30 feet away from where you're sitting are definitely going to promote gut hooking.  

As far as plugs go, ill go ahead and say it.  I've been entirely catch and release for more than a decade and in that time I've killed way more fish with plugs than any other sort of fishing, up to and including snag and drop.  Sometimes a big enough fish is gonna inhale the whole thing or they get themselves under the chin and rip some gill rakers out.  Just part of fishing. 

I would agree that its hard to get every fish perfectly. Bound to gill one.  

i do fish two hooks and i fish back hooks.  I also do not crush my barbs.  

They will never bad sand spikes

On 6/9/2024 at 5:59 AM, Artie Fishil said:

What really drives me nuts is when ppl sand spike a long section of beach and then cast out the bait and leave the rods unattended. Owners nowhere to be found. This happened recently and I was on the verge of just reeling in their baits so I could throw jigs when finally two kids showed up. Words were exchanged and they just picked up their stuff and left. I've got nothing against bait fishing but it's illegal to leave casted out baits unattended just to stake a claim to some piece of beach. Either actively fish or don't fish at all. The shoreline is a shared resource.

Pfantum Pfishah

Gave it a shot early evening yesterday. Same spot as time before because it was the only section with any current action. Tried bugs. Nada. Went to plugs. Nada. Back to bugs. Again, nada. Water was clean, but no bait to be seen. In fact, no seagulls!!!  You know things are slow when those winged scavengers aren't around. No signs of life anywhere. Only a couple of guys out, with no bent rods.

Took a trip down an hour ago just to look. Ocean is totally flat. Top of the tide. West wind. Water clear. May give it a shot later.

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Surf is starting to flatten out again, but water is still clean, clear and warm.  Did the usual with the bugs and a few calicos which resulted in two with stripes and another very fat blackfish.  Also lost another after a quick fight.

DSCF4495.JPG

DSCF4498.JPG

Did not realize til I searched these forums, how much of a sand flea master MC55 is.  :)

Would you say that these near slot fish are part of the group pushing north?  Or are they more of the residents?  Seems like they skirted us this spring, mostly saw bluefish reports.  I went out 3 times this year, saw one slot fish caught by people next to me using worms.

I very rarely throw anything other than plugs. Gave it a shot with bugs yesterday evening. I caught a sundial and had what was probably a bass pick one up and run with it, but I didn’t connect. Fishing with those bugs isn’t as easy as it sounds. I’ll probably give it another shot later today if work doesn’t interfere. Went out again a little later after sundown and picked up this skinny little guy and short fluke. Both of those came on black mambo minnows.IMG_1548.jpeg.a800e833aabbc2b3d23f94353938fc74.jpeg

Edited by JimK

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"