The end of the Hobie Revolutions?

1 min ago, RWP said:

I kayak fish over 200 days a year, strictly in salt water. Inshore and offshore. Professionally and recreationally from Virginia Beach to the Keys.

Do you know how many revos I've seen on the water in the past five years?

Exactly ONE. It was given to a guy for free because the original owner hated it.

He caught a small Goliath grouper that day which almost flipped him over because of a combination of his inexperience and the unforgiving lack of primary stability of a Revo. He had his rod ever so slightly out to the side as the fish pulled him broadside to the current.

Had I not yelled "rod to the front", and had it not instantly corrected, he would have been in the drink.

Like I said, enjoy your revos, I don't care what you fish out of, but they aren't gods gift to kayak fishing you think they are.

I respect your 200 days a fishing. I won't get in a pissing match about time on the water....I will let others who know me to tell the truth about that. Its actually quite embarrassing. I should have did more plumbing would have had more money in the bank. 

I don't kayak Fish anymore. I am on the scrap heap now. If the bass were stable I would kayak fish more. Now I am in a skiff. 

The Revo 13 and 16 were a god send to two other kayak fisherman I am in constant contact with. We have the photos, we have the stories. Between the 3 of us we have over 60 years od kayak fishing between us. Guess where most of those years were spent on? You are ****** right. The Revo 13 and 16 and it we did 99 percent of it catching in the middle of the night. These are facts.

9 mins ago, RWP said:

I kayak fish over 200 days a year, strictly in salt water. Inshore and offshore. Professionally and recreationally from Virginia Beach to the Keys.

Do you know how many revos I've seen on the water in the past five years?

Exactly ONE. It was given to a guy for free because the original owner hated it.

He caught a small Goliath grouper that day which almost flipped him over because of a combination of his inexperience and the unforgiving lack of primary stability of a Revo. He had his rod ever so slightly out to the side as the fish pulled him broadside to the current.

Had I not yelled "rod to the front", and had it not instantly corrected, he would have been in the drink.

Like I said, enjoy your revos, I don't care what you fish out of, but they aren't gods gift to kayak fishing you think they are.

Curious what do u fish ? 

5 mins ago, Tom Angler said:

I would have loved it if Hobie made a kevlar revo 16. Light & fast. I would pay a decent amount of $ for that! Alas, I am going to eventually end up joining the tin boat mafia and continue fishing out of an old revo .

I love the tinny. I have it set up like a kayak. Cheap on gas and fun with bass and Albies fishing. 

5 mins ago, boguePogie said:

My guy, you're weirdly quick to respond to posts and are pretty good at coming off as aggressive. Combine those facts with your outlandish statements -- for example that a 10' long, 34" wide boat is a better fishing platform than a revo 13 -- and I can't help but write you off as a blowhard with a grudge. 

If I were to give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe your fishing style differs from mine. I don't mind putting in miles to find fish. I don't mind bushwhacking and hauling my boat to access the water. It's what I do and it's what gets me off. It sounds like you are partial to boat ramps, short paddles in little to no current, and getting upset at folks w/ opinions different from your own. Whatever, you do you kiddo.

That's because we're arguing about this across 2 different threads.

Which I'm done with both of them. Enjoy!

39 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I respect that opinion but here are some facts about putting newbie anglers in 27"-28" wide platforms, it works. Thats all wed had when I got into the sport. We have the Tarpon 120, 160 and Heritage Fisherman and Seadart. Jim Sammons abd others were fishing out of the Manta. These are all 26"-29" kayaks and back then we paddled for all our fish. Every newbie kayak angler I brought out was fishing out of a 31" and under kayak. The common was 28" wide. Tarpon 140 came out later but it was well known to be a bath tub.   

As far as the Revo 13 goes and 16 you would warn newbies about reaching in back. Grab one of the front handles or toss yourself sideways. The Salty Anglers loved and still love the Revo 13 and 16. Just not enough of us old salties. 

Also some saltys got into offshore trolling two rods from rear holders. It is a fact trolling on the rear holders for large fish was much better in the Outback. In my opinion. 

I got my hobie adventure when KFS first opened many many years back 

i have had adventures sports revos outback and even a lynx lol 

2 hours ago, superstriper said:

I got my hobie adventure when KFS first opened many many years back 

i have had adventures sports revos outback and even a lynx lol 

Dude, those were some awesome days on the KFS forums. Jon S and Joey Kayak should be enshrined into a kayak fishing hall of fame. We were mostly all salties. We just wanted one or two rods and a little tackle box and soft cooler. Some went less than that. It was just so simple back then. All the information and projects were free. Youtube changed that. People came into the forums took the info and wanted to make money on it. To each their own.

3 hours ago, Tom Angler said:

I would have loved it if Hobie made a kevlar revo 16. Light & fast. I would pay a decent amount of $ for that! Alas, I am going to eventually end up joining the tin boat mafia and continue fishing out of an old revo .

With all the copycat drives on the market, I'm surprised no enterprising person has started laying up their own custom composite boats. Back when I started whitewater kayaking in the 90s a large segment of that market was semicustom glass kayaks from local shops. I even knew a CT psychiatrist who laid up his own kevlar boats, paddles and helmets for chuckles! 

I’ve owned and fished from the Hobie Outback, Revo 11, Revo 14, Adventure, and Passport 10.5.  Throw in the Tarpon 100, 120, 140, 160, Manta 15, Perception Ilusion, Malibu Mini-X, and a few others and I’ve gotten to try a nice variety of plastic boats.  

My personal favorite for all around use is the Revo.  I’ve enjoyed sailing them as well fishing sweet and salt water and have had them in big swells, heavy wind, and strong current.  Not perfect by any means but I like them enough that I’ve sold off most of my other boats while I look for a late model used Revo to return to using regularly. 

I own two Adventures that I’ve used for longer treks (they paddle nicely, track beautifully, and are a fun boat), but the days of transporting a bigger boat are limited for me.  I bought the Passport 10.5 a few months ago to try as a replacement, used it in heavy wind on the flats of Cape Cod last week, and literally just sold it today.  I was pedaling in the dark with swells quartering in from behind, slewing me around, and I kept thinking that I wished I was in a Revo

One other thing:  I was a teacher with a fishing club and a Scout leader. My big clumsy kids would get the Outback. Anyone with a modicum of body awareness

got the Revos.  That included

my young teen girls and son when we

fished Jbay and they kicked ass out of that boat every year, fishing in God awful conditions many times. Never had an issue. 

I’d love to try some of the other pedal drive options out there, but until I do I’d rank the Revo as my favorite of what I’ve used. 

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

At one point, I was heavily involved with the (New England Kayak Fishing) NEKF.  Every year we would put on one of the biggest tournaments around, the Striper Shootout.  A large percentage of the participants (200+-) had Revos.  These were folks from as far away as California, Canada, and Florida.  It was the yak of choice.  Same thing at JBay when that tournament was still being held.  More Revos than anything else.

When I got into this sport, I was lucky enough to be mentored by two of the best yak fisherman around.  These are folks who are extremely well known and respected in the sport.   They both "insisted" I get a Revo, and I am glad they did.   For anyone to suggest it is a lousy platform is just wrong.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

I think it all comes down to different styles of fishing in different areas. Up here in the northeast, just about no one is jigging bridge pilings, throwing cast nets, sight fishing, etc. At least, I never see or hear of anyone doing those things in this area. I will GLADLY take the extra speed of my Revo over primary stability when I’m fighting an insane current under a bridge to get to the other side or the wind and current getting back to shore. From what I gather, the tides and currents up here are a different ballgame from further south. We don’t have Albies this far north, but I understand the extra speed helps greatly when chasing them, too. 

Is the fishing up here niche? Maybe. We certainly have fewer species and a shorter season than other areas of the country. But I’ve never dumped my Revo accidentally, and I’m comfortable in it all day, so that must be saying something. 

Also, there are many who have gone from a Compass (or Outback) or Native to a Revo and liked the Revo more. I tried a Compass and didn’t like it as much, for what I would be doing. Everyone’s different, but it’s sort of silly to make gross generalizations that it’s not a good platform. IMO the Revo is getting discontinued because it’s more of a hardcore saltwater kayak and the majority of the country fishes freshwater for largemouth and want (or think they want) barges. Simple as that. 

Edited by drmevo

On 7/10/2024 at 9:45 AM, drmevo said:

IMO the Revo is getting discontinued because it’s more of a hardcore saltwater kayak and the majority of the country fishes freshwater for largemouth and want (or think they want) barges. Simple as that. 

Exactly ... I would welcome the opportunity to fish from a Revo ... love my Compass as it fits my current needs and budget.

It just comes down to what the individual wants or needs ...