The end of the Hobie Revolutions?

If I wanted to stand and throw a cast net I would do it from shore and get my bait first then go fishing. Did (and do) that fishing the gulf of mexico with my brothers who live there. Grew up throwing a cast net. Not interested in doing that from a kayak. Plenty of bait from shore in no time flat, then launch and fish.

In the northeast, or on the west coast (both places I have fished) there is no need to stand and frankly standing is a great way to take an unscheduled swim from a kayak in cold ass water.

In my "ideal" world a kayak would be: light, fast, have a mirage drive, have enough stability to allow fishing in the salt and enough comfort to allow long hours on the water. That is the Revo in my opinion.

I have had many revos: 13, 11, 16, now 13. Revo since 2008

Honestly, I would be happy if hobie made a new revo 16 that was redesigned to be fast and light. Make it really light. Really fast. I would buy it immediately.

I will eventually get a boat, but I really enjoy the exercise and peacefulness of kayak fishing. As long as I still have the physical ability to get out there I will be tempted to keep going in my revo.

I will probably try to keep it forever.......or at least until I am an old critter who needs a boat to get around.

Long live the revo and the crazy hard core folks (like Slappy) who like to travel fast and far in stealth mode.

Good luck out there!

Edited by Tom Angler

1 min ago, Tom Angler said:

If I wanted to stand and throw a cast net I would do it from shore and get my bait first then go fishing. Did (and do) that fishing the gulf of mexico with my brothers who live there. Grew up throwing a cast net. Not interested in doing that from a kayak. Plenty of bait from shore in not time then launch and fish.

In the northeast, or on the west coast (both places I have fished) there is no need to stand and frankly standing is a great way to take an unscheduled swim from a kayak in cold ass water.

In my "ideal" world a kayak would be: light, fast, have a mirage drive, have enough stability to allow fishing in the salt and enough comfort to allow long hours on the water. That is the Revo in my opinion.

I have had many revos: 13, 11, 16, now 13.

Honestly, I would be happy if hobie made a new revo 16 that was redesigned to be fast and light. Make it really light. Really fast. I would buy it immediately.

I will eventually get a boat, but I really enjoy the exercise and peacefulness of kayak fishing. As long as I still have the physical ability to get out there I will be tempted to keep going in my revo.

I will probably try to keep it forever.......or at least until I am an old critter who needs a boat to get around.

Long live the revo and the crazy hard core folks (like Slappy) who like to travel fast and far in stealth mode.

Good luck out there!

Well said my friend!    Slappy (and Carl) were the ones that got me into this addiction!   Have spent 100's of hours fishing with both of them.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

19 hours ago, Tom Angler said:

If I wanted to stand and throw a cast net I would do it from shore and get my bait first then go fishing. Did (and do) that fishing the gulf of mexico with my brothers who live there. Grew up throwing a cast net. Not interested in doing that from a kayak. Plenty of bait from shore in no time flat, then launch and fish.

I have had many revos: 13, 11, 16, now 13. Revo since 2008

Good luck out there!

19 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Well said my friend!    Slappy (and Carl) were the ones that got me into this addiction!   Have spent 100's of hours fishing with both of them.

Keep on keepin on, fan bois.

Better hope that **** doesn't crack, or you'll be forced to buy a kayak that wasn't designed 20 years ago.

Really though, use whatever you like, but recommending a Revo to a noob is dumb.

I'll say it for the 10th time, THERE'S A REASON WHY HOBIE IS DISCONTINUING THE REVOS..... ALMOST NO ONE WANTS ONE!

4 mins ago, RWP said:

Better hope that **** doesn't crack, or you'll be forced to buy a kayak that wasn't designed 20 years ago.

Really though, use whatever you like, but recommending a Revo to a noob is dumb.

I'll say it for the 10th time, THERE'S A REASON WHY HOBIE IS DISCONTINUING THE REVOS..... ALMOST NO ONE WANTS ONE!

Anyone who claims the REVO is a lousy fishing kayak is either a poser or someone just looking to create controversy.   I won't even get into your declaration that 90% of yak fisherman consider the ability to stand in their yak a prerequisite.   

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

28 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Anyone who claims the REVO is a lousy fishing kayak is either a poser or someone just looking to create controversy.   I won't even get into your declaration that 90% of yak fisherman consider the ability to stand in their yak a prerequisite.   

Yet you keep ignoring the fact that the kayak has been discontinued.......

45 mins ago, RWP said:

I respect that opinion but here are some facts about putting newbie anglers in 27"-28" wide platforms, it works. Thats all wed had when I got into the sport. We have the Tarpon 120, 160 and Heritage Fisherman and Seadart. Jim Sammons abd others were fishing out of the Manta. These are all 26"-29" kayaks and back then we paddled for all our fish. Every newbie kayak angler I brought out was fishing out of a 31" and under kayak. The common was 28" wide. Tarpon 140 came out later but it was well known to be a bath tub.   

As far as the Revo 13 goes and 16 you would warn newbies about reaching in back. Grab one of the front handles or toss yourself sideways. The Salty Anglers loved and still love the Revo 13 and 16. Just not enough of us old salties. 

Also some saltys got into offshore trolling two rods from rear holders. It is a fact trolling on the rear holders for large fish was much better in the Outback. In my opinion. 

Edited by The Riddler

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

I respect that opinion but here are some facts about putting newbie anglers in 27"-28" wide platforms, it works. Thats all wed had when I got into the sport. We have the Tarpon 120, 160 and Heritage Fisherman and Seadart. Jim Sammons abd others were fishing out of the Manta. These are all 26"-29" kayaks and back then we paddled for all our fish. Every newbie kayak angler I brought out was fishing out of a 31" and under kayak. The common was 28" wide. Tarpon 140 came out later but it was well known to be a bath tub.   

As far as the Revo 13 goes and 16 you would warn newbies about reaching in back. Grab one of the front handles or toss yourself sideways. The Salty Anglers loved and still love the Revo 13 and 16. Just bot enough of us old salties. 

Everyone used to drive carbureted cars with no seat belts that got 7mpg too......

Just now, RWP said:

Everyone used to drive carbureted cars with no seat belts that got 7mpg too......

How does that correlate here? You have the majority of fresh water anglers promoting the barges. So that is what the folks will buy. Hobie got sold, we were just happy they kept the Revo 13 going for a little longer. 

The Future of kayak fishing went too 100lb fishing kayaks and all the gadgeting that goes with it. I am happy to learn this sport when it was about paddling for fish and making your own ****. We are a dying breed. Lol

9 mins ago, RWP said:

Yet you keep ignoring the fact that the kayak has been discontinued.......

No one is ignoring it.  Why Hobie made that decision is known only to them.   My guess is that the new owners wanted to streamline their offering to save money.  Other yaks  are better suited for the soccer moms and families that want a yak for the local pond or their beach house while still being used to fish from.  Something the kids can use to swim from  Call it a jack of all trades, master of none decision yak. 

This discussion is about fishing.  The Revo is perfect for fishing.  Its not the best for floating around in the lake with a book in one hand and a latte in the other.

12 mins ago, The Riddler said:

The Future of kayak fishing went too 100lb fishing kayaks and all the gadgeting that goes with it. I am happy to learn this sport when it was about paddling for fish and making your own ****. We are a dying breed. Lol

i always hoped hobie would make a light weight Kevlar fishing yak

instead the yaks got HEAVIER 

10 mins ago, The Riddler said:

How does that correlate here? You have the majority of fresh water anglers promoting the barges. So that is what the folks will buy. Hobie got sold, we were just happy they kept the Revo 13 going for a little longer. 

I kayak fish over 200 days a year, strictly in salt water. Inshore and offshore. Professionally and recreationally from Virginia Beach to the Keys.

Do you know how many revos I've seen on the water in the past five years?

Exactly ONE. It was given to a guy for free because the original owner hated it.

He caught a small Goliath grouper that day which almost flipped him over because of a combination of his inexperience and the unforgiving lack of primary stability of a Revo. He had his rod ever so slightly out to the side as the fish pulled him broadside to the current.

Had I not yelled "rod to the front", and had it not instantly corrected, he would have been in the drink.

Like I said, enjoy your revos, I don't care what you fish out of, but they aren't gods gift to kayak fishing you think they are.

2 mins ago, superstriper said:

i always hoped hobie would make a light weight Kevlar fishing yak

instead the yaks got HEAVIER 

There is data out there on poly kayaks being sold in other material. Hurricane Kayaks was around, not sure if they folded or not. 

I would have loved it if Hobie made a kevlar revo 16. Light & fast. I would pay a decent amount of $ for that! Alas, I am going to eventually end up joining the tin boat mafia and continue fishing out of an old revo .

Edited by Tom Angler

On 7/8/2024 at 12:43 PM, RWP said:

I've owned or used all of them. The revo is the least desirable to fish from unless you are strictly offshore in s*** conditions.

How many of them have you used?

Or are you just a fanboy and no matter what the reviews always the best option?

My guy, you're weirdly quick to respond to posts and are pretty good at coming off as aggressive. Combine those facts with your outlandish statements -- for example that a 10' long, 34" wide boat is a better fishing platform than a revo 13 -- and I can't help but write you off as a blowhard with a grudge. 

If I were to give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe your fishing style differs from mine. I don't mind putting in miles to find fish. I don't mind bushwhacking and hauling my boat to access the water. It's what I do and it's what gets me off. It sounds like you are partial to boat ramps, short paddles in little to no current, and getting upset at folks w/ opinions different from your own. Whatever, you do you kiddo.

Edited by boguePogie

Pace the halls and climb the walls