The end of the Hobie Revolutions?

5 hours ago, Tom Angler said:

the fat plastic barge for the fat a$$ overweight pathetic “average” person these days 

You're hysterical. Have you actually used a kayak that was designed in the last 20 years?

There's a ton of barge kayaks out there, I agree, but there's also a ton of kayaks that can do 90% of what a revo can do, and also let you do so much more.

Nearly every kayak angler is happy to give up 1/2 mph in top speed and only be able to handle 4-5 foot seas instead of 6-7 foot for simple conveniences like, I dunno, comfort? The ability to stand up to take a piss? Maybe throw a cast net?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge revo fan, but not as a primary kayak, not even a secondary one. The only time it would get used is to fill that niche.....

Then again, with the natives that I have now.... Not sure I actually do even want a revo anymore, especially since two of the natives were cheaper than one revo.

On 7/4/2024 at 8:23 PM, RWP said:

Nearly every kayak angler is happy to give up 1/2 mph in top speed and only be able to handle 4-5 foot seas instead of 6-7 foot for simple conveniences like, I dunno, comfort? The ability to stand up to take a piss? Maybe throw a cast net?

Man, the weight of the revo, combined with its other attributes, is/was a huge selling point for me. In my books kayaks are meant to be car topped; the revo at ~64lbs wasn't the easiest to car top but it sure beat the snot out of the 80lb+ hulls saturating the market. 

As far as standing up to pee and throwing a cast net... I'd suggest the folks lured by that may as well get a jon boat. Comfort wise I've thrown down many 12 hour days in my revo, a number of them back to back -- no complaints with regards to comfort. 

Edited by boguePogie

Pace the halls and climb the walls

1 min ago, boguePogie said:

Man, the weight of the revo, combined with its other attributes, is/was a huge selling point for me. In my books kayaks are meant to be car topped; the revo at ~64lbs wasn't the easiest to car top but it sure beat the snot out of the 80lb+ hulls saturating the market. 

As far as standing up to pee and throwing a cast net... I'd suggest the folks lured by that may as well get a jon boat. Comfort wise I've thrown down many 12 hour days in my revo, a number of them back to back -- no complaints with regards to comfort. 

Hobie compass - 68 lbs

Hobie passport 12 - 73 lbs

Hobie passport 10.5 - 67 lbs

Native Slayer 10 - 62 lbs

Native Manta Ray 12 - 70 lbs

And the list goes on and on. All far more comfortable and stable than a revo. Also much more capable as a fishing kayak for 99% of applications.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:50 PM, RWP said:

Hobie compass - 68 lbs

Hobie passport 12 - 73 lbs

Hobie passport 10.5 - 67 lbs

Native Slayer 10 - 62 lbs

Native Manta Ray 12 - 70 lbs

And the list goes on and on. All far more comfortable and stable than a revo. Also much more capable as a fishing kayak for 99% of applications.

I said weight.... combined with the other features.

Based on my experience w/ the passport & compass, and a quick glance at those natives, they're trash compared to the revo... Sounds like you disagree, lol okidokey.

Pace the halls and climb the walls

8 mins ago, boguePogie said:

I said weight.... combined with the other features.

Based on my experience w/ the passport & compass, and a quick glance at those natives, they're trash compared to the revo... Sounds like you disagree, lol okidokey.

I've owned or used all of them. The revo is the least desirable to fish from unless you are strictly offshore in s*** conditions.

How many of them have you used?

Or are you just a fanboy and no matter what the reviews always the best option?

Edited by RWP

3 hours ago, RWP said:

I've owned or used all of them. The revo is the least desirable to fish from unless you are strictly offshore in s*** conditions.

How many of them have you used?

Or are you just a fanboy and no matter what the reviews always the best option?

May be I am in the minority here (but based on what I see out on the water I doubt it) the Revo is an awesome fishing kayak.  Between my son and I, we have owned several in both the 13 and 16' configs.   I want something that is stable but still able to cover some ground.   If you have any sense of balance, they are not "tippy", particularly the 13'.   I'm a good size guy, 250+ and I have never doubted the sea worthiness of the Revo.  I've been out many miles at night, and spent all day on the water countless other times.   Sure, if you want to limit your time on the water to sitting in a puddle pond or never going more than 50 yds from shore, a plastic tub with a lawn chair bolted on may be your thing.   For me, when I fish I take it seriously and want a platform that will get me on the fish quickly, safely, and comfortably.   Thats why I fish the Revo.

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

56 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

May be I am in the minority here (but based on what I see out on the water I doubt it) the Revo is an awesome fishing kayak.  Between my son and I, we have owned several in both the 13 and 16' configs.   I want something that is stable but still able to cover some ground.   If you have any sense of balance, they are not "tippy", particularly the 13'.   I'm a good size guy, 250+ and I have never doubted the sea worthiness of the Revo.  I've been out many miles at night, and spent all day on the water countless other times.   Sure, if you want to limit your time on the water to sitting in a puddle pond or never going more than 50 yds from shore, a plastic tub with a lawn chair bolted on may be your thing.   For me, when I fish I take it seriously and want a platform that will get me on the fish quickly, safely, and comfortably.   Thats why I fish the Revo.

What the revo diehards fail to realize is that it's no longer one or the other.

Revos are extremely seaworthy, but so are many other kayaks on the market these days. And they do 90% of what a Revo does offshore while doing 190% of what a Revo can do everywhere else.

10 mins ago, RWP said:

What the revo diehards fail to realize is that it's no longer one or the other.

Revos are extremely seaworthy, but so are many other kayaks on the market these days. And they do 90% of what a Revo does offshore while doing 190% of what a Revo can do everywhere else.

So enlighten us!   Tell us which yaks are that much better and why?   Particularly the part around "doing 190% of what a Revo can do".

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

31 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

So enlighten us!   Tell us which yaks are that much better and why?   Particularly the part around "doing 190% of what a Revo can do".

You said you choose a Revo because it's fast, safe and comfortable.

I'm using a native Manta Ray right now.

It's less than 1 mph slower than Revo at top speed.

Comparable cruising speed.

I have instant reverse.

I can stand up and throw a cast net.

I can stand up and piss.

The seat is 3" higher.

It has no problems in 5' swells and conditions that are generally too rough to fish in.

I bought 2 of them for less than the cost of 1 Revo.

Edited by RWP

19 mins ago, RWP said:

You said you choose a Revo because it's fast, safe and comfortable.

I'm using a native Manta Ray right now.

It's less than 1 mph slower than Revo at top speed.

Comparable cruising speed.

I have instant reverse.

I can stand up and throw a cast net.

I can stand up and piss.

The seat is 3" higher.

It has no problems in 5' swells and conditions that are generally too rough to fish in.

I bought 2 of them for less than the cost of 1 Revo.

Lets take these one at a time.  The Revo is at least 20% faster.  That matters to me!  Better efficiency means more fun on the water.

Instant reverse compared to me pulling a lever.  No big deal

I can piss kneeling in my Revo and don't use a cast net

Who cares how high the seat is as long as its comfortable?  A lower center of gravity equates to better stability.

The Manta has a prop vs fins.   I can feather the fins against the hull instantly in shallow water, you need to pop the entire drive out of the water.   Very handy in not only shallow water but also if a fish dives under the hull.

If I run over a line with the Revo, I can clear the drive in seconds.   With a prop you need unwind all the line.  Ive seen the results and wouldn't have a prop drive for this reason alone.

You get what you pay for!

1 hour ago, Jeff270 said:

Lets take these one at a time.  The Revo is at least 20% faster.  That matters to me!  Better efficiency means more fun on the water.

Instant reverse compared to me pulling a lever.  No big deal

I can piss kneeling in my Revo and don't use a cast net

Who cares how high the seat is as long as its comfortable?  A lower center of gravity equates to better stability.

The Manta has a prop vs fins.   I can feather the fins against the hull instantly in shallow water, you need to pop the entire drive out of the water.   Very handy in not only shallow water but also if a fish dives under the hull.

If I run over a line with the Revo, I can clear the drive in seconds.   With a prop you need unwind all the line.  Ive seen the results and wouldn't have a prop drive for this reason alone.

You get what you pay for!

Like I said. It does what it does well.

A compass does all what I listed above too, but has the hobie drive.

Just because you don't use a cast net, doesn't mean other people don't.

It's a non starter for the vast majority of kayak anglers if they can't stand in their kayak.

If you don't care about standing, great. Enjoy your revo, you fit the niche. Just don't plan on buying one in 2025.

10 mins ago, RWP said:

It's a non starter for the vast majority of kayak anglers if they can't stand in their kayak.

Not even close to true in my experience.   Where do you fish?    

5 mins ago, RWP said:

Virginia Beach though the Keys.

Very few people in the Northeast stand in their yak on a regular basis.