Jump to content

The end of the Hobie Revolutions?


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Pretty much agree with all the comments.   We've owned at least 6 different Revo's over the years.  My son has had two 16's.  We currently have a 16 and two 13's.  The problem as Riddler stated is that the "average" guy buying a yak is using it in a millpond or something similar.  He wants the stability of a barge, and everything else is a distant second.   The percentage of guys who chase stripers or albies in less than flat calm conditions is small.    I also agree with the comments around the line stagnating.  I would have bought a new Revo if they had done some upgrades.   Make the center hatch square so it can store multiple boxes.  Work on the bow hatch to make it dryer.   How about built in rails for mounting  FFs and rod holders.  Improve the transponder mount so its more compatible with side scan.  Include the sailing rudder and turbo fins as standard.

 

Hopefully some other manufacturer does a case study on this and comes up with a quality replacement.  There is going to be a big hole in the market where the Revo was king.

On other more general kayak fishing sites it's amazing how many guys put standing up as one of their top priorities in a kayak. I've been fishing out of canoes and kayaks for 50 years, and have never wanted to stand up!  I wonder if they'll still make the Revo 16, as it's the basis of the Adventure Island.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 mins ago, gellfex said:

On other more general kayak fishing sites it's amazing how many guys put standing up as one of their top priorities in a kayak. I've been fishing out of canoes and kayaks for 50 years, and have never wanted to stand up!  I wonder if they'll still make the Revo 16, as it's the basis of the Adventure Island.

The 16 was discontinued last year!

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2024 at 8:54 PM, The Riddler said:

How does it feel to promote kayak fishing and then have the manufacturers take away all the suitable choices?

 

This is what happens when fresh water kayak anglers outnumber salties 50-1. 
 

 

I think it also has to do with a total lack of interest in seamanship. (and I say this as someone who is constantly learning and barely knows anything but there are pros who are even more clueless than me). More and more features for kayaks that let you brute force your way through nature instead of understanding what you are doing on the water. The older generation who were paddling around in whatever they had canoes, jon boats, etc learned by doing and not taking conditions for granted. Today people brand new to the sport can pedal, trolling motor, power pole, etc through whatever is standing in their way, until they can't and $hit hits the fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

 

I think it also has to do with a total lack of interest in seamanship. (and I say this as someone who is constantly learning and barely knows anything but there are pros who are even more clueless than me). More and more features for kayaks that let you brute force your way through nature instead of understanding what you are doing on the water. The older generation who were paddling around in whatever they had canoes, jon boats, etc learned by doing and not taking conditions for granted. Today people brand new to the sport can pedal, trolling motor, power pole, etc through whatever is standing in their way, until they can't and $hit hits the fan.


I have more fun in my tinny now. I battled for a long time to get lighter weight and performance kayaks. Losing battle. Have to be careful with back now so its a complete lifestyle change. 
 

So far all those still in the battle for a lighter weight performance kayak? Tuco Salutes you from a far! In the end....the gay get along gang won. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Hobie not having some kind of integrated motor/e-assist is hurting them big time.  

They have always had the torqueedo relationship. I don't see how you can really create an e assist within the mirage drive. It's like a back and forth oscillation system that blows up every some hundreds of hours under human power. Seems ludicrously complicated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WLIStless said:

They have always had the torqueedo relationship. I don't see how you can really create an e assist within the mirage drive. It's like a back and forth oscillation system that blows up every some hundreds of hours under human power. Seems ludicrously complicated.

 

The back and forth vs cycle is a selling point for me - far more comfortable and efficient, but agreed...probably hard for an assist. 

 

That TPP installed on the Lynx ducer pod is probably the sleekest way to motorize a kayak I've seen. If Hobie can find a cutout for the battery box that'd be a perfect little fishing package for 99% of kayak anglers (not counting the purists who "started this sport" in this thread, ofc).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2024 at 11:39 AM, The Riddler said:

One more round for Tuco....throws away the Hobie Warranty. 

Hahahaha.  what???? Everone tells me we need a drive kayak to catch fish, then I see this???? That must be some sort of AI sorcery at work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 mins ago, puppet said:

Hahahaha.  what???? Everone tells me we need a drive kayak to catch fish, then I see this???? That must be some sort of AI sorcery at work.


Lol....before the GT drive that v2 would break down all the time. I actually bought a second drive because of it. When the GT drive came out I kept these for back up. Hobie made great improvements with that GT. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dang. I heard this from a dealer in my area a couple months ago but was hoping it was unfounded.

 

Maybe another manufacturer will fill the void. Prolly won't happen tho. Too many landlocked fishermen who've never been in a kayak are willing to pay $$$ for a jon boat dimensioned plastic barge.

 

Reckon it's time to learn fiberglass layup. 

Pace the halls and climb the walls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget Hobie changed hands a couple years ago. There has definitely been changes since then. Plus the Covid boom is over and I am sure the sales aren't what they used to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 8:07 AM, boguePogie said:

Dang. I heard this from a dealer in my area a couple months ago but was hoping it was unfounded.

 

Maybe another manufacturer will fill the void. Prolly won't happen tho. Too many landlocked fishermen who've never been in a kayak are willing to pay $$$ for a jon boat dimensioned plastic barge.

 

Reckon it's time to learn fiberglass layup. 

the fat plastic barge for the fat a$$ overweight pathetic “average” person these days 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...