RI Fish Report Blog, May 27 - June 2

Rate this topic

The Rhode Island Fish Blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information rightly available in one weekly thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters with a fishing rod.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports and comments.   This is the seventh year for this unique approach. Please post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have for better fishing tomorrow.

Memorial Day, It's the first long weekend of the beginning of summer. 

Just take a moment and pause.... whether at home, the beach, a cook-out, or fishing and reflect on those brave hero's that left this earth wearing a US uniform in battle. 

YUN00020.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

We all owe a great gratitude to those who gave all protecting our great nation and way of life. We must all carry on with pride and dignity to honor them.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Fished the same narr bay spot as yesterday. Still lots of silversides and sandeels mixed. Fish were a little more scattered this time but still got multiple high schoolies to slot fish, plus a 35". Mag d and swarter were working pretty well. Hopefully this bait is here to stay.

Pfantum Pfishah

Had a little luck the past few days during the annual memorial day vacation on the river.  A bunch of top water blow ups but no connections. Last year we crushed the seabass this year slim pickings.  Same exact spot but a few days earlier.  3 more days.   Hopefully it picks up.  Edit if necessary if too much location is shown.   

56869.jpeg

56890.jpeg

56888.jpeg

20240527_111150.jpg

56826.jpeg

20240526_082247.jpg

Speaking of which, struck out this AM at the same narr bay spot I'd been fishing/catching the previous two outings. Looks like a lot of the bait moved out, at least temporarily. 

Pfantum Pfishah

Fishing from shore been a little slow this week. I avoided this weekend intentionally and fished some low key spots but was appalled when i returned to my usual suspects Tuesday morning. Squid boxes and watermelon rinds everywhere causing tons of flies, multiple snags with 50-100' of braid just waiting to kill something, walmart rigs and jig boxes scattered about, and a pile of trash leaned up against a rock. I cleaned up all that I could in the garbage bags i keep in my car but its time to invest in a trash grabber as well at this rate. 

It's no wonder we are losing so much shore access in this state. Some people just need a friendly nudge off the rocks into the surf. Lord knows they aren't wearing spikes.

11 mins ago, pittedsopitted said:

Fishing from shore been a little slow this week. I avoided this weekend intentionally and fished some low key spots but was appalled when i returned to my usual suspects Tuesday morning. Squid boxes and watermelon rinds everywhere causing tons of flies, multiple snags with 50-100' of braid just waiting to kill something, walmart rigs and jig boxes scattered about, and a pile of trash leaned up against a rock. I cleaned up all that I could in the garbage bags i keep in my car but its time to invest in a trash grabber as well at this rate. 

It's no wonder we are losing so much shore access in this state. Some people just need a friendly nudge off the rocks into the surf. Lord knows they aren't wearing spikes.

Those few that trash our favorite fishing holes and beautiful coastlines, wish the State had active trail cams to catch them. 

Their punishment should be a massive clean-up detail.  

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

After putting in a ton of time this past weekend without much to show I finally got into some fish. Got on to the water around 530pm close to slack tide. First couple hrs was dead. Marked little fish and almost no bait. Was ready to throw in the towel when I saw some terns working water near me.  Paddled over and the water just lit up. Bass busting everywhere. Again they were on very small bait. Ended up catching a bunch of slot and just under on small bucktail and a couple on a spook.

Got out last night and found bluefish gorging on small bait. Most of them were around 5lbs. I did manage to get one gorilla sized to my feet. As I begun to pull him in with the leader, I heard a large POP and was left holding the front quarter of my plug. He had actually put enough force on the hard plastic lure to snap it. Man they are tough %@#$$# 

73B370F4-AC7F-4BB9-9B47-7D6BF45D62A9.jpeg.7ecad19c8f25453ddae388e6dba77ee3.jpeg

2 mins ago, Peelin' Drag said:

Got out last night and found bluefish gorging on small bait. Most of them were around 5lbs. I did manage to get one gorilla sized to my feet. As I begun to pull him in with the leader, I heard a large POP and was left holding the front quarter of my plug. He had actually put enough force on the hard plastic lure to snap it. Man they are tough %@#$$# 

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

11 mins ago, Peelin' Drag said:

That's crazy, I wonder if it had a small crack in it to start with? 

Pfantum Pfishah