Macks

Rate this topic

The size of the hook depends upon the size of the Blue Bullets. For spikes  number 6or 7 big momas number 1 or 1/0 long shank hooks if you are makeing them up your self If you buy the rigs look for the main line to be at least 50 lb test and the hooks them selves to be 25 0r 30 pound. Multicolors will work . I prefer to use white flies with some flash . The sabiki rigs in some cases look great , but once they load up the hooks break of. especially if they are ones that have low test rates . In some cases  you can find a rig that has ten hooks on it with the right test , you can make two rigs out of it. In the majority of cases you will need to change out the terminal tackle to larger swivels and clips .  I forget to say that if on a boat the color red tubes is all you need, otherwise in the canal flies work better.  Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

I've had really good results with the Hayabusa Brand sabikis with 4 hooks.  Wanna say the main line is 40lb and the snoods are 20-30ish.  The hook size is Japanese so I don't know what the translation is.  But they look like a 2 to me.  

Good quality terminal tackle and knots. 

13 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

I personally really like Sabiki set ups. Works well for almost every situation. If you don't like those, I recommend anything Clarkspoon with leader weights for long distance casting. 

PhotoManTrav yes they really do catch fish under most circumstances, however they do not have the lasting ability in them when the action gets hot and heavier fish are hitting . The line fails, the hooks break of . That is why I posted the above on the main line being at least 50 pound test and the hooks tied to 30 they are hard to find , but in the end they are worth looking for or ordering from your local shop.  Learn to tie your own and you will get further satisfaction when they not only last longer, but catch fish as well.      Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

9 hours ago, JHCenterville said:

Anyone heard where there are Macs in CC Bay?

TRy outside of sesuit or barnstable harbors. Peace and prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

2 hours ago, albacized said:

While I did see a good number caught last week by those fishing for them at the 'other' cape, north of Boston, they were all what we used to call 'tinker' size years ago - well under a foot long (6-8 inches)

I pulled up a dozen 8-12" macks on Saturday while sitting on a mooring. I'm sure they're all over the north shore.

4 hours ago, isleomaniac said:

Where can I buy frozen mackerel that are not soft and mushy and fall apart (chunks) on the hook?

Canal Bait and Tackle has fresh ones periodically but they go quck.  I have been doing well on squid I got from the draggers and fresh pogies.  Pogies are ass deep in the bays in marshes.  Snag 30 or so and I got enough bait for beach fishing and yo-yoing commercially if I cant find fresh pogies that day.

58 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

That's actually a good idea.   They have lots of other edible "bait" as well.

toona.jpg

The one I goto also has a HUGE selection of frozen whole fish too. Stuff like saury & capelin also tons of shellfish you don't normally see in grocery stores like surf clams and cuttlefish (make really thick squid strips)