Bailed or non bailed spinning reels

Rate this topic

Busanga

47 mins ago, John P said:

I use non bailed for surf casting ,boat casting bailed.  Surf casting heavy weights or plugs non bail can't snap shut and break off the plug or bait/weight.

I’ve heard this before but in practice, I'm curious how often it actually happen, and if all the cons of going bail-less are worth the $10 in lost plugs?

For me, the biggest benefit would be less to damage, but then I realize it’s attached to a fragile stick of carbon fiber, and if I do something to damage the bail, the rod probably isn’t going to be doing too well either. 

I've had more problems, or user errors, with my 6500bls, 4500bls, and 706z (new version) spinning around and catching line than any purported bail closers.  This is not a problem with my VS.  With all that said, I still prefer the bailless. 

Usually the beach surfcaster  is putting a  lot of umph behind the casts can trip the bail without meaning too. A $50 custom plug  flies off into the horizon.  Use a VS and you're good to go.

Bailed for me I think. As far as bail flipping closed.. never happened to me and we cast big baits with 15' rods (always use manual close, stellaSW , Daiwa Saltiga etc)

From what I gather in these responses I don't really see much advantage of bailess except the durability / maintenence factor, and if I want to do bait and plugs bailess falls behind..

Most problems I've witnessed over the years were due to untimed / mis-timed reels, bail or no bail makes little difference in my opinion

Edited by SC

The other alternative is go baitcasting and really be fishing.  I prefer bait caster most of the time.  Watch bass masters tournaments and see how good those guys are. Pin point precision. 

I have never had a bail close and cause a lure to break off. Maaaybe once but if I recall there was a nasty wind knot involved. I like bailed reels for fishing from boats, especially doing stuff like vertical jigging where I can just pop it open and close it without much thought if the just has to go back down a little further. 

The advantage of a bailless reel for me is the simplicity and convenience on the beach. I put my surf rod down in the sand all the time. If there's a bail, it's just a moving part that can break from getting gummed up with sand. And taking long casts with the surf rod is straight forward and I can just pick up the line when the lure lands.

Even for light backbay stuff when I'm pitching at docks or oyster beds or whatever, I like a bailed reel so I don't have to worry about missing the line with my finger and my lure or bait getting hung up on structure because I casted too far.