Past NJ fly shops

Rate this topic

JimK

I miss being able to walk into a fly shop and see a great variety of fly fishing gear, tying supplies, all different varieties of tied up flies, every piece of fly fishing related  equipment you could imagine. Buying this stuff online just isn’t the same. Just getting back into fly fishing after many many many many years of barely touching it. Tying up a few deceivers and I came across this. Brings back a lot of memories.  Maybe @TimS will remember the bottom picture.  Shortly after the beginning of SOL, Tim was showing me how he ties silicone spearing. I had never used Peacock hurl before. He sold me a hefty bag full of peacock hurl.  “ now you’ve got a lifetime supply” he told me. I’m beginning to think he was right!

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

Edited by JimK
Added Picture and commentary

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

38 mins ago, JimK said:

. Brings back a lot of memories.  Maybe @TimS will remember the bottom picture.  Shortly after the beginning of SOL, Tim was showing me how he ties silicone spearing. I had never used Peacock hurl before. He sold me a hefty bag full of peacock hurl.  “ now you’ve got a lifetime supply” he told me. I’m beginning to think he was right!

Big fan of peacock herl...I use that stuff on everything! :th: Every one of my deceivers and 1/2 and 1/2s and clousers...that stuff is amazing :)  Good memories, Jim....thanks :)

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Ramsey Outdoor is still around although I live an hour away from there now, haven't been there in years.  Not a fly only shop but they had some good stuff, I bought 2 Charlton reels from the one in Ledgewood, although looking at their website now it looks like they relocated to the Roxbury Mall.

Meltzer's in Garfield, it's where I bought my first fly rod (Shakesper President white blank, red wraps) and a Medalist. I picked up some flys....Hare's Ear, Bivisible, and a Mudler. They were not a fly shop but the had fly gear. This was 1964 and later Ramsey's in Paramus became my shop of choice. I use to tye Crease Flys at their Cabin Fever Day and really liked the guys that worked there. Tight Lines has a great "fly shop feel" as I prefer in person shopping.

I used to frequent the Ramsey Outdoor stores in Paramus and Mahwah quite a bit.  They were great.  The Fly Hatch was also a favorite of mine when I worked in Red Bank and lived in Eatontown.  It was a regular stop on my drive home.

Ramsey in paramus was my #1 shop for years when Joe Keegan ran the fishing department my wife would just call him at Christmas time and just ask what does he want? I got two Pate reels and a Renzetti Master vice using that method. 

He was a great guy I miss him RIP.

When the Fly Hatch rolled in I was a regular from the early days to the last day and miss that place to this day. 

Down n trout was a regular stop for me when I would migrate from shark river inlet to IBSP on my Jersey trips. 

Austin Reed outfitters in Greenville DE was my home shop and who I ordered my first two hander sight unseen a T&T 1611 which was a leap of faith from watching a American Sportsman show and seeing a need for it when fishing Turkey Point, MD. Yeah I started off as a Spey caster on the Elk and NE rivers for Stripers then took it to the surf at night and the evolution began. 

Edited by Jim DE

There is Stream of Dreams in NJ, I've never been there but they seem like good people when I talk to them at the Somerset Fly Show.  Honestly these days I only stop at a fly shop if I happen to be near one (like the Orvis in Destin FL) or as part of a stop at BPS.  I have 99% of what I need for fly fishing after collecting gear for several decades and I tend to buy a lot of my gear from Bears Den because Scott is an awesome guy.

3 mins ago, formula1 said:

There is Stream of Dreams in NJ, I've never been there but they seem like good people when I talk to them at the Somerset Fly Show.  Honestly these days I only stop at a fly shop if I happen to be near one (like the Orvis in Destin FL) or as part of a stop at BPS.  I have 99% of what I need for fly fishing after collecting gear for several decades and I tend to buy a lot of my gear from Bears Den because Scott is an awesome guy.

Yeah it’s been a very long time since I stepped foot in a fly shop. Started fly fishing in MO in the early 60’s ( I still have tackle from then) and accumulated a tackle store plus of gear from then till now. I order tippet material and a fly line here and there online if needed. Closest fly only shop to me in Florida is a hour away plus I have gone back to freshwater mostly now due to age and health. Now my money gets eaten up buying glide baits and swim baits for trophy bass on non fly tackle. I guess it’s my age but when I pay $$$ for one lure I often say to myself I have lost my frigging mind and that happens way too often ;)

15 hours ago, Loudog said:

I used to frequent the Ramsey Outdoor stores in Paramus and Mahwah quite a bit.  They were great.  The Fly Hatch was also a favorite of mine when I worked in Red Bank and lived in Eatontown.  It was a regular stop on my drive home.

I put the owner on his first fly rod striper - bought a couple Orvis rods and SA reels, lines, etc. He thanked me by sending his customers to a quiet little spot I took him and it's been blown up ever since...like 25 years or so now. He did like one of the patterns I came up with enough that he started selling them and telling people it was his design. I used to like the guy a lot, thought we were friends...live and learn  :)

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.