Great Whites in Nantucket Sound

Rate this topic

Was out fishing with family today for seabass off of craigville and had a juvenile white shark (est 8ft) take a sea bass off the surface before breaking us off 50 yards of line later. Awesome experience but slightly unnerving. Have noticed a few more seals every year so knew sharks were probably hanging around this time of year. Anyone else had encounters in vineyard or nantucket sounds?

1 hour ago, JamesSt said:

Was out fishing with family today for seabass off of craigville and had a juvenile white shark (est 8ft) take a sea bass off the surface before breaking us off 50 yards of line later. Awesome experience but slightly unnerving. Have noticed a few more seals every year so knew sharks were probably hanging around this time of year. Anyone else had encounters in vineyard or nantucket sounds?

That’s pretty crazy. I’m sure there’s ton out there that we never see. 

15 hours ago, JamesSt said:

Was out fishing with family today for seabass off of craigville and had a juvenile white shark (est 8ft).... Anyone else had encounters in vineyard or nantucket sounds?

I was swimming at Craigsville beach last Labor Day weekend. I'm going to have to pay more attention to the water. :)

When I fish for blues on the south side of the Cape I often see seals swimming back & forth. If seals are around, so are their predators.

A few years ago I was on vacation on the  Vineyard. The week after we got home The Vineyard  Gazette had a article about a hammerhead shark being spotted off South Beach on MV. I always like to go for long swims at South Beach past the breakers.

I saw a decent sized brown shark in the canal last September.

As the saying goes, if you're in the ocean, there are sharks nearby.

I know great whites are a whole nuther animal but you really get to appreciate sharks when you are in Florida. 

There are so many sharks there, if you don't see one, you're not trying. 

We had a hammerhead come up in front of us at Jupiter Inlet that looked to be the size of your average tin boat. Easily big enough to bite a full grown human in half.

But I get it. White sharks are in a class of their own.

Personally, I love them and it excites me that they have returned to their natural range in Massachusetts. Of course I don't want anyone to get hurt. It's easy for me to say because I am not a surfer and don't swim at the Outer Cape beaches. 

Still, knowing they are there adds spice to the flavor of my enjoyment of the outdoors. But of course, I'm not your average person. I actually want things like bears, coyotes, alligators, venomous snakes etc to be part of my outdoor experience. 

I laugh at anyone who is willing to brave traffic on Cape Cod but is afraid to swim in the ocean.

Traffic yes.  I used to get up early in the morning at 4 am, so I could be on the beach at sunrise to go surfing on the outer Cape, and get there before the traffic.  I would get my surfing done from 5:30 to 8:30 am, so I could leave the beach by 9 am before the life guards came on duty and before I needed to pay for parking.  Then on the way home I could see the traffic backed up coming down Cape with me heading home in the opposite direction free and easy.  However, early am as I understand it is feeding time for great whites, and of course I was dressed up looking like a seal with my black wetsuit on.  I was lucky that I didn't get eaten for breakfast, although back then the sharks were just beginning to become more numerous.  I finally quit surfing in 2016 after being in the water with a whitey that was tagged just after I left, never to return.  I took up fly fishing after that.  

Worm Hatch Inspector.

I’m fairly certain there are plenty of GWs in the sound, both Nantucket and MV. I’ve heard accounts of commercial draggers (I think for squid) get multiple GWs in their nets every year, and this is April-May. 

4 hours ago, ermghoti said:

So now the great whites arrive before the BSB catch picks up?

Where are they ,seriously. Skunked today with a dozen s of shorts. Scup disappeared from where they were 4 days ago.

Edited by foxfai

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Where are they ,seriously. Skunked today with a dozen s of shorts. Scup disappeared from where they were 4 days ago.

GWs ate them all?

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Probably sometime in the early 1970s.  I think my boat was in for repairs, so my buddy took me in his 

We caught a load of huge fish. Fish all over the deck, the bow, we're standing in fish. Back at the ramp, a crowd gathered, looking down into his boat at the fish.  

Some woman was clearly upset, and sarcastically asked what we caught them on?

My buddy looks at her with a straight face and says "live baby seals".

The Sultan of Sluggo

When I was on the longliner, we were unloading one morning in Fairhaven (I think).   We were all beat as we had been out for close to a week.   There was a whole slew of tourists watching as we pulled fish out of the hold and sent them up to the buyer.   We had a good selection of swordfish, everything from pups on up.   Anyone who has set a longline knows that you don't get a choice as to what will be coming up next as you haul back, and 90% of the swordfish are dead when you do.   Some are big and some are small.  We had just started unloading as a few of the pups hit the deck, and some dope on the pier started busting our balls about "killing the baby fish".  My buddy looks up and says "We kill the baby ones because before they die the scream for their mothers and then we can kill them too".  That was the end of the questions for the day

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

16 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Now, THAT's a thought ..... When I am King, I will order the capture of a pod of seal-eating orcas in the far north, and bring them down to the NE. 

Or they could let us hunt them.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau