Where to go July - visit from UK

Rate this topic

swest4

Dear all,

I'm visiting Portland, Maine for work mid-July.  After that, I have 4 days free that I would like to use to go surf fishing.  My departure flight is from Boston so I'm looking from anywhere between Portland and Cape Cod as a recommendation for that time of the year. Here in the UK, I mostly bait fish from the surf and so have all of the equipment for that.  I do much less lure fishing, which seems to be most popular over with you for Bass and Bluefish.  I guess what I am looking for is decent chances of fish. I would be happy to catch Bass or Bluefish and I am not focused on specimens (although one would be welcome!). I would prefer not to fish shoulder to shoulder with others even if that means catching fewer fish. If I could use bait effectively, that would be cheaper but I would also be OK with investing in some lures if that is the go-to approach.

Could I ask for a few recommendations please?  The last time I was over, was in 2017 and I got some good pointers from this forum (I apologise for not reporting back at the time).

Thanks again,

Steve

2 hours ago, swest4 said:

Dear all,

I'm visiting Portland, Maine for work mid-July.  After that, I have 4 days free that I would like to use to go surf fishing.  My departure flight is from Boston so I'm looking from anywhere between Portland and Cape Cod as a recommendation for that time of the year. Here in the UK, I mostly bait fish from the surf and so have all of the equipment for that.  I do much less lure fishing, which seems to be most popular over with you for Bass and Bluefish.  I guess what I am looking for is decent chances of fish. I would be happy to catch Bass or Bluefish and I am not focused on specimens (although one would be welcome!). I would prefer not to fish shoulder to shoulder with others even if that means catching fewer fish. If I could use bait effectively, that would be cheaper but I would also be OK with investing in some lures if that is the go-to approach.

Could I ask for a few recommendations please?  The last time I was over, was in 2017 and I got some good pointers from this forum (I apologise for not reporting back at the time).

Thanks again,

Steve

I would go to the outer  cape. It's beautiful and there is always a good shot of catching fish . Simple 8 - 9 ft rod and some sp minnows in chicken scratch color if you want to catch and keep it very simple. Dawn / Dusk / Night  .

Edited by Jim McFeeley

At that time of the year, I’d look northern MA (merrimac river system) up to a certain Audubon Society marsh system just south of Portland (sorry, we’re not allowed to get too specific). Even the Boston area can be good. Cape and points south to Rhode Island can be good, but hit or miss with the warmer water. Of course i thinking in terms of striper fishing with all this. Cape Cod itself is the dividing line of warmer waters to the south and cooler waters to the north.

on a side note, I’m in the UK once a year to visit my daughter who lives over there (in Norwich). I would pick your brain for some fishing tips, but wouldn’t know where to start…lol

Screw whatever anyone tells you about shore fishing. People can disagree with me all they want. Don’t waste your vacation time frivolously. 

You’re in Maine, in July. Hope on a boat to go tuna fishing. 

If you’re going to catch something, make it big. 

Then on the last day. Unwind to some shore fishing. Maybe. 

haters will always hate. trolls will always troll. its how the internet works.

(previously known as 'ooeric')

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.  I would LOVE to go tuna/shark fishing.  However, I suffer really badly from seasickness (tried all the remedies and none work for me, sadly). I did read that sometimes sharks can be caught from the beach around cape cod so will keep that in mind.

@albacized: Norfolk is lovely but not renowned for surfcasting.  There is some good Pike fishing on the broads in Autumn/Winter.  I'm based in the southwest of the UK (Devon).  Here, we probably have the best sea fishing but, from what I have read, not as good as you guys!

7 hours ago, EricL said:

Screw whatever anyone tells you about shore fishing. People can disagree with me all they want. Don’t waste your vacation time frivolously. 

That's what I would do.. dont get that opportunity so much in UK

8 hours ago, EricL said:

:th:

On 5/24/2024 at 8:58 AM, albacized said:

At that time of the year, I’d look northern MA (merrimac river system) up to a certain Audubon Society marsh system just south of Portland (sorry, we’re not allowed to get too specific). Even the Boston area can be good. Cape and points south to Rhode Island can be good, but hit or miss with the warmer water. Of course i thinking in terms of striper fishing with all this. Cape Cod itself is the dividing line of warmer waters to the south and cooler waters to the north.

on a side note, I’m in the UK once a year to visit my daughter who lives over there (in Norwich). I would pick your brain for some fishing tips, but wouldn’t know where to start…lol

This is what I would do.  Personally speaking, I love the north shore of Mass.  

Even if the fishing sucks, the area is great.  I love the train system.   Leave the car at the hotel  take the train to Salem, Gloucester, Cape Ann or any spots in between.   

Eat some lobster rolls, toss out a some bait and watch the boats pass.  

Bait fishing is still a thing and is still popular,  just no one here really talks about it. 

Surfland Bait and Tackle on Plum Island, and Tomos in Salem are great shops.   

Edited by PSeggs