Replacing a ST. Croix Tidemaster

Rate this topic

BrianBM

I shattered a 6' Tidemaster earlier today, while jigging too hard (I guess) with a one ounce jig for fluke. It broke in an odd place, I think, just a few inches above the upper grip. Too bad, it had nice cork, a pistol grip, and had a good feel even if the reel seat was barely enough to hold the Daiwa Coastal that I used on it.

The Tidemaster line is long out of production, and the St. Croix warranty is five years. I won't bother them. Maybe it got damaged without my noticing or remembering.

Snap jigging, per Capt. Paduano, is a matter of getting your jig to truly leap with fright when the rod's snapped. This requires light braid, which is fine, and a rod whose tip will not momentarily collapse when the jig is snapped. I like partyboat rods of at least 7' and would prefer a 7 1/2' rod (pistol grip please) for my baitcaster. (I know the Captain prefers spinning rods made to his specification. I like baitcasters).

If I decide to replace the broken rod with one optimized for le snap, does anyone have a rod or blank to recommend? As it happens, the amount of slipgut algae fouling Great South Bay today wouldn't have permitted a good snap one way or the other, but weed comes and weed goes.

I'm going to run through my rod inventory and see what I have that might actually lend itself to making a 1 oz jig SNAP to attention, as opposed to the initial slower acceleration you get with a fast action. I remember an old 7' rod, a very early graphite/glass blend, that might do just fine, IF I trim it a bit.

By odd coincidence, I had written St. Croix about a particular 7 1/2' rod in the catalog that might do fine. It was shown as a "moderate" action rod. However, I haven't had a response yet.

I have a couple St Croix premier rods spinning and conventional that are very similar to my Tidemaster rods.  The premier rods are marketed as fresh water but they hold up fine in the salt.  The premier rods are a bit lighter in power (stiffness) for same rating.  For example my 7” heavy power premier spinner has same action to my feel as my Tidemaster medium heavy fast.  Maybe you can find a Premier to your liking. 

I adore my 7' Tidemaster spinning rod and was shattered when they discontinued it.  However, it looks like they have a new line, albeit with less beefy guides, to replace the Tidemaster and it seems they're using the exact same blank, so there is still hope...

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

19 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I adore my 7' Tidemaster spinning rod and was shattered when they discontinued it.  However, it looks like they have a new line, albeit with less beefy guides, to replace the Tidemaster and it seems they're using the exact same blank, so there is still hope...

Know the model name? I like my 7'6 3-piece Tidemaster a lot. Great short rod.   

17 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Know the model name? I like my 7'6 3-piece Tidemaster a lot. Great short rod.   

image.png.9573c3b9b9b83dfcfa4ecb1d85018cda.png

The old green tidemasters were the absolute best. For what ever reason St. Croix went extra fast. Why I don't know. 

What is close is the Gusa blanks. Mod fast dual helix. I have em all. The 700L is perfect for 1oz. 

IMG_3526.jpeg

3 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Ah, thank you! What's the name of the current line of rods that you were saying is somewhat similar to the Tidemaster line? 

Can't remember just look at the St. Croix website. 

Edited by Roccus7

5 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

Ah, thank you! What's the name of the current line of rods that you were saying is somewhat similar to the Tidemaster line? 

Think he's talking about the mojo inshore line. 

On 5/23/2024 at 8:20 PM, BrianBM said:

I shattered a 6' Tidemaster earlier today, while jigging too hard (I guess) with a one ounce jig for fluke. It broke in an odd place, I think, just a few inches above the upper grip. Too bad, it had nice cork, a pistol grip, and had a good feel even if the reel seat was barely enough to hold the Daiwa Coastal that I used on it.

The Tidemaster line is long out of production, and the St. Croix warranty is five years. I won't bother them. Maybe it got damaged without my noticing or remembering.

Snap jigging, per Capt. Paduano, is a matter of getting your jig to truly leap with fright when the rod's snapped. This requires light braid, which is fine, and a rod whose tip will not momentarily collapse when the jig is snapped. I like partyboat rods of at least 7' and would prefer a 7 1/2' rod (pistol grip please) for my baitcaster. (I know the Captain prefers spinning rods made to his specification. I like baitcasters).

If I decide to replace the broken rod with one optimized for le snap, does anyone have a rod or blank to recommend? As it happens, the amount of slipgut algae fouling Great South Bay today wouldn't have permitted a good snap one way or the other, but weed comes and weed goes.

I think a 7 or 71/2 foot pistol grip rod would be a tough find non custom.We snap big soft plastics in the Chesapeake and a rod that long sounds tiresome in short order. Most guys go 6’8 max on conventional gear. 

1 hour ago, GoneCoastal said:

I think a 7 or 71/2 foot pistol grip rod would be a tough find non custom.We snap big soft plastics in the Chesapeake and a rod that long sounds tiresome in short order. Most guys go 6’8 max on conventional gear. 

Trigger grip is what I was thinking, my error. I do like two hands on a rod butt. My bad usage in the opening post is at fault.

There's a reason why I leaned towards a longer rod, but on reconsideration, I agree, 7 1/2' is too much.

I like to get to a partyboat early, and grab a spot at the rail right at the bow.  The Captree partyboats I have in mind usually have enough freeboard at the bow to permit an underhand cast with a longer rod, though not 7 1/2 feet.  I was trying too hard to 1) have a rod that could cast easily underhand, with a baitcaster, and 2) be long enough to permit me to bounce the jig while seated when my legs give out, which they will. On further thought, that's two rods, not one.

I have more tackle then I need (hardly rare on SOL, I'm sure) I'm going to see what looks like a workable snap-jigging rod in the existing inventory. Most of my rods are good casters, with a moderately fast action. That isn't what you want to make a jig really jump. But there may be a rod that would be OK if cut back from the tip. Popasilov isn't the only mad tackle scientist on SOL, I can do that too.  :)

Given your description of intended duties, while a smidge short I would probably grab a Rod geeks C4 series. C469MHF
6'9"
MH
F

If going the custom route, it’s probably close in action and taper to the rod you broke and a little higher modulus. St Croix probably makes this rod with the same blank in Conventional for a factory job, Good luck !