Great South Bay, slipgut and anchovies

Rate this topic

A friend and I caught the Laura Lee fluke trip, this morning at 7:00, out of Captree. (I was there before six a.m., and even so, another angler was ahead of me). The forecast had deteriorated over the last 24 hours and we did get mild rain in the early morning, and a thunderstorm drenching a bit later. Brrrr!

There were fish ... a few ... maybe eight keepers for 25 or 30 people on board. The fishing was complicated by slipgut weed, which slimed jigs and sinkers and everything else over most of the bay. The Captain made a good try at finding clear bottom.

At one point, the first angler to board (the one guy who arrived ahead of me) landed a keeper fluke, which disgorged a gutfull of anchovies, little silver streaks with the size and proportions of kitchen matchsticks. I rigged a fly above my jig and was rewarded with a robin, my one fish of the day. Tiny, tiny, tiny little fish, I wish I'd noticed the anchovies earlier in the day. So if you go, have a few tiny teasers along.

Otherwise, the trip was notable for the explosion of a St. CRoix Tidemaster that shattered while I was aggressively working a one ounce jig, and for the sighting (on the way home) of what I think was a horned owl, or a long-eared owl, in as un-owl-like a spot as you can imagine; perched on a highway light on the westbound lanes of Robert Moses Causeway. If I hadn't been in traffic I'd've pulled off the road for a closer look. I initially thought it was a hawk, but there aren't any hawks with big ear tufts in the NE.

19 hours ago, hobobob said:

If you haven't checked, it's full moon today.  :moon:

Full moons haven't been productive for me. How about you folks? 

If you they haven't been productive for others as well, how many days do you like to wait after a full moon for bite to pick up? 

39 mins ago, Jig It said:

Full moons haven't been productive for me. How about you folks? 

If you they haven't been productive for others as well, how many days do you like to wait after a full moon for bite to pick up? 

Didn't have much a choice with memorial day weekend coming up.  

Am i the only one that loves fishing South Shore on full moon?

Not so much about fishing but enjoying scenery and sky.

At that point, catching decent fish comes as bonus.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Good to know that they are anchovies. There's also tiny shrimp about.

What kind of jigs do they use on LL?

Yes, the filamentous algae is awful. I've been restricted to topwater (which the bass have shown little interest in) and bottom (same disinterest from fluke). The blues have been the only saving grace based on birds hitting the anchovies they are chasing up (the blues don't break surface until you toss a popper amidst the birds).

Edited by CBFish

If the Laura Lee has a recommended jig, I don't know what it is. I played with half ounce and one ounce S&S ball head jigs, and Upperman lima-bean head jigs from Tin Man Tackle. All came back covered in glop.

Grandpa's fluke rig, with a hook on a long leader 8" above a sinker, might've worked better. Or a chicken rig. But there was plenty of free-floating slop waiting to foul those rigs too.