Species ID

Rate this topic

Eeeeels

hmm if it is a glass eel that is a giant. they usually max out just under 3 inches. the elvers i have seen in Monmouth county are even smaller than that. 

Not my pics but this is the size i usually see:

inat_64c340062ba6a2.61182967.jpginat_1587566405-5f0e77c91fe75.jpg

15 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

What is this? Glass eel?

IMG_1066.jpeg

That's pretty awesome...definitely not an American eel...don't think it's a ribbonfish though...it's apparently some kind of eel, I'm guessing a larval silver (conger) eel. Here's a photo I found online...looks like the same dude :th: It's called an "American Conger" - and they live locally...even in Barnegat Bay :)

LeptocephalusConger.jpg

Here's a couple pictures of an adult local conger I ran into on two different occasions on the same wreck...he apparently lived there...caught him twice while toggin :) 

silver-eel-juggling.jpg

silver-eel.jpg 

5 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I agree with the larval eel… do a search for ‘Leptocephalus’ and your see more pics and info… interesting… I wonder if the bass are feeding on this? 

Good call:

"Eels and other members of the Superorder Elopomorpha have a leptocephalus larval stage, during which they are flat and transparent. This group is quite diverse, containing over 800 species spanning several orders and families, becoming prevalent during the Cretaceous period, over 140 million years ago. Fish with a leptocephalus larva stage include eels like the conger, moray eel and garden eel."

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

40 mins ago, unagidon said:

Came across a bunch of these that must have been chased onto the sand a month ago, my best guess after researching was larval eel

Never seen one in all my years...not from the surf, not in a boat, not even in a fish's stomach...pretty cool to run into a bunch of them on the sand :th:

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.