Personal Best Striper Lure

Rate this topic

Hi all! :howdy:

I'm genuinely curious what lure you caught your largest surf based striped bass with. I know, I know, eels are the big fish magnets but I'm talking about artificials! Was it a Bucktail? Darter? Sluggo? Broom handle w. hooks?

Really interested in what the front runners are. I'll tally up the responses after enough time has passed for folks to comment and reply with the totals!

The biggest I've landed fell for a Gibbs pencil popper :th:

It's been a long time since the 60's since I strictly fished plugs.

The Atom Plug would be the one during that time. 

atom-popper.jpg

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

11 hours ago, clammer said:

same  60,s     a small popper at the time was made by damn for got the name ....

he makes mostly metal     / Joe Martins but he passed ....My mind is gone 

Point Jude Proper Popper?

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

nope something else .I,ll ask my kid .   its abouttime in life to get real ........I.ve giving things the really mean something to me . to someone special ......... others wise  everything is for sale .......My baot 7 commercial license   are on the market even  that I don,t have a sign on it or listed anywhere ..........also a shoebox full of custom plugs    that I can,t sell because I don,t know the value .............95% arn,t signed ........................ those guys on here in the selling 7 buying  ......know everything    but   I priced wrong once / the got back to me once to received them telling who made one .............. ya price low ya screwed because its not bidding on here .its great if ya know what ya got .oh well   another thread      sorry .. 

When I was first starting out, like '87 or '88, having just bought my first surf rod, I found a mackerel finish redfin in the little camp store at the campground I was at in Maine. I bought it because it reminded me of a rapala. I got a 40 lber that trip on that lure. Since then it's been my Go To. Pretty much everything big I've ever caught came on a redfin.

Wish they still made the mackerel color. Wish they didn't have such crappy hooks too. Lost a big one last week bending a damn factory redfin hook. Rookie mistake. 

Edited by mikez2

5 hours ago, mikez2 said:

When I was first starting out, like '87 or '88, having just bought my first surf rod, I found a mackerel finish redfin in the little camp store at the campground I was at in Maine. I bought it because it reminded me of a rapala. I got a 40 lber that trip on that lure. Since then it's been my Go To. Pretty much everything big I've ever caught came on a redfin.

Wish they still made the mackerel color. Wish they didn't have such crappy hooks too. Lost a big one last week bending a damn factory redfin hook. Rookie mistake. 

Loaded blurple red fin is what I’ve caught most of my “larger” surf bass on as well. Hell of a plug for $10 and a 10 minute modification :shaky: