Solar deck post light cap recommendation?

Rate this topic

Re-did a deck for a buddy a few years back. He bought whatever homeys had, but he replaced the stock batteries before he installed them on the posts. He told me the stock ones are for shiet. I put in riser lights as well on two stairs sets and he did the same. I'm heading over to his house now as a matter of fact, and I will ask him about them. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

I used these from Home Depot. 
I modified them because I didn’t think they were waterproof enough.  The lighted post cap sets on top of another post cap.
The deck sits above a living room below. I didn’t want to take any chance of leaks. 
Going  on three years now. 
Tom

IMG_5940.png

IMG_5941.jpeg

IMG_5942.jpeg

Edited by reel em in

It seems like the top of the little solar panel always seems to cloud up after a few seasons. I thought about cutting small pieces of plexiglass to cover them up but I doubt it would help.

I'll have mine on the rocks.

38 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

It seems like the top of the little solar panel always seems to cloud up after a few seasons. I thought about cutting small pieces of plexiglass to cover them up but I doubt it would help.

That’s true. I was thinking of replacing them with glass, but good so far

Tom

Edited by reel em in

I spoke to my buddy about his lights. He said 90% of them are still working fine after 10 years or so. 

Like I mentioned he replaced the stock batteries before install. Also, he put up post mounted lights ( not the post cap style) that shine down onto the deck, which I feel are better as they show you the deck. I also installed lights in the risers of the stairs ( he replaced those batteries as well) and they all are still working. He also mentioned that he had not cleaned the solar collectors in a good while, so perhaps that's why the one or two are not working.