Fishing jerk baits for largemouth

I have been working on my jerk bait fishing.  Starting to catch a few.  Had a few questions.  First what baits do you recommend?  Second what line type and test do you recommend?  Lastly I seem to be only catching small fish.  Is jerk bait fishing more for small fish?  Thanks Charlie 

I'm more of a saltwater guy, but I do some jerkbait fishing for bass.

Had good success with a Smithwick Rogue, so haven't tried many other options.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

2 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

the vision is the bait I have used it works well but not durable.  Was more interested in the type of line to use?  flouro or braid with a flouro leader?  and what pound test?

I still use some of the 'classic' jerkbaits (showing my age); Smithwick Rogue, Rebel minnow, Rapala minnows, and Yozuri's. I prefer using mono when fishing jerkbaits (or crankbaits) when bass fishing.

I primarily fish tidal rivers and farm ponds around DelMarVa for LMB and our water isn't clear. I use basic green Trilene BigGame mono in 15 lb. I do fish out in western MD for smallies, and will add a 10' topshot of 12 lb fluoro out there in the clear water.

For saltwater fishing, mostly Rockfish and Specks, I will use braid but just add a topshot of mono to the braid, maybe fluoro if I'm working grassbeds for Specks and the water is fairly clear not too deep.

Edited by JAL

7 hours ago, Littoral Larry said:

Its on the pricier side but the Megabass Vision 110 is hard to beat. Top of the line jerkbait that seems to be unanimously one of the best on the market for anglers nationwide.  

I believe these are one of the go-to's for the smallie guys, fishing the St. Lawrence etc. But I'm sure the largemouth will love them just the same.

No excuses, go fishing.

The lighter line you use the faster/easier of a time you're going to have getting them to dive down. Mono floats, so you might want to lean towards fluoro (which sinks).

As far as a retrieve, twitch twitch pause, twitch twitch twitch pause, change the cadence up here an there. Let the pause be a little longer, a little shorter.. until you find what they want. When you give it the pause the line should be a little slack, during the pause try to keep the line still and make sure you watch the line so you don't miss a hit that might come while the lure is paused. You will see the line twitch/jump if they hit it on the pause.

No excuses, go fishing.

You can can also add weight to them to make them suspend or slow sink.  I have good successes doing some tweaks

They make self sticking led dots and straps or a grenade weight that goes on hook hangers

I fish fine

look stupid 

While I own a couple but never really use them, my son fishes the rapala rip stop with great success. Being a whole lot younger than me, he can twitch and rip all morning. Me? I'm too old and lazy. But these do work for him. A lot! He does however catch an awful lot of pickerel with them. He has caught some monsters! They seem to love the erratic action. These seem to work for both SMB and LMB.

These do suspend as well.

Xraps, Husky Jerks, Sixth sense, and Nomad shikaras work well.  HARD rips a couple times, experiment with the length of the pause. And make sure that when you pause the lure you still keep in contact with it. The bites can be subtle, especially when the water is cold.  You'll just feel a little "tick" in the rod. 

I crushed big walleye, smallies, wild browns and a couple muskies this winter on the above lures.

As for line, I fish the same thing I use for everything but surf and wreck fishing--Ande Tournament mono.

Remember that pause length can matter.  Longer pauses in cooler water tends to be the rule.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I use Husky Jerk bait , there are sinking , suspending and floating to me line don’t make a difference as all my braid is 20 lb ( 50 for frog and jigs ) BUT my floro leader length is the difference, short 6” top water and everything else is about 30” no clips tie direct . My favorite is suspending and if I get it deep I can let it sit a long time . I don’t tight down my drag 

Edited by Hook I

If it has fins i want to catch it 

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the date of when you posted, I'm not surprised you, me (and probably everyone else) are only seeing small bass.

Seems the bass may have spawned earlier than usual, so unless you drop a lure on the nest, they won't be inclined to strike.

The only decent bass I've gotten were hooked while they were "removing" the lure from the nest site.

(They will pick up a lure with their lips and move it out of the nest and drop it.)

Because jerk baits are not meant to sink deeply, most big bass will ignore it as it doesn't stay within their "protective" zone around the nest long enough to be considered a threat.

Of course I could be wrong, but based on my prior experiences that been the case.

If nothing else, you can consider it practice casting for later on...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!